JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So your talking long haul over the road trucks. Not all truck drivers. I assure you no robot will replace construction dump truck drivers. The amount of infrastructure that would have to change would go light years past the truck itself. Heck we have Over the road drivers that try to be dump truck drivers every year and almost all of them fail totally.

Now imagine a Log truck being automated LOL

Too many variables for automation. Unless an entirely different, dedicated road system is built for them.
They will replace them with trains, if anything.

There is no way they will share the road(s) with minivans packed with family members.

The railroads have been doing this for years. A few years ago I had a conversation with a Union Pacific conductor. He told me of a stretch in Colorado where an automated train routinely runs. This particular stretch though has no grade crossings though. So, yes, this is coming.

One of the things I do is install data network wiring. I was told that would not be needed in a couple more years because wireless would replace everything that was previously wired. That was 1989. Still wiring.

Too many variables for automation. Unless an entirely different, dedicated road system is built for them.
They will replace them with trains, if anything.

There is no way they will share the road(s) with minivans packed with family members.

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd how do you expect the goods to make it to their final destinations? Yeah, they get hauled by way of tractor-trailer. Everything everybody has in their possession was brought in on a truck.

I can see some sort of system that would work ok in flat states during decent weather. I'm not so sure I want to trust a computer to take a load across Wyoming in the middle of a winter blizzard with 70MPH winds that change directions constantly. LA or Chicago during rush hour? Bad idea. How is the computer going to keep up with Chicago's low clearance issues when they can't keep the signs up to date, let alone GPS info? Traffic on the east coast is not the same as traffic on the west coast. Will the computers be able to compensate? Truck driving sometimes happens in good weather and traffic, but too much of it is having to compensate for the unexpected. Ask Canada about how well automated trains are working for them.

If it's that easy then why don't we just do away with Politicians, think of all the money we tax payers would save!!! We don't need no new stinking laws!!!!
But seriously, this will not happen in our lifetime. Think IRobot...

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd how do you expect the goods to make it to their final destinations? Yeah, they get hauled by way of tractor-trailer. Everything everybody has in their possession was brought in on a truck.
I agree with you wholeheartedly CA, and disagree completely with the article.

Long haul could possibly go away in favor of trains with enough pressure from emissions and the price of fuel,... But I doubt it. The lessons Ike learned from Hitler's planners was both practical and valuable.

What I am saying is there are too many variables for an automated truck to run on the interstate, or secondary highways, alongside private passenger vehicles. It will still have to have a human driver.

No matter what, the small delivery style truck ain't goin' away. Whoever wrote that article is dreaming the dream of the utopian greenie.

Daddy, what's a lot lizard?

Crying-Indian.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the things I do is install data network wiring. I was told that would not be needed in a couple more years because wireless would replace everything that was previously wired. That was 1989. Still wiring.

When I originally planned on remodeling my house one of my plans was to wire up every room for networking. That was in the late 90s. I have changed my mind on that a long time ago thanks to cheap wireless technology.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top