JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Greetings Friends!

There are a lot of different thoughts from as many different viewpoints. I carry a 325 NG from S&W, scandium frame 45 acp, loaded with my version of the Elmer Keith and Auto Rim. 6 shots outta stop most anything it needs to.
How about a Bond arms? He can have a number of different options. I know it isn't a 6 shooter, or even a 5. It resides in the pickup console- in 45 acp but also have a .22lr for plinking.

The 45 isn't as nasty twisting as a 357 (full load) in my experience, and I would rather have the 45 in terms of terminal performance. The 325 comes with night sights and a quick fix can get your trigger to pretty ok. The wife shoots her 66-1 or 686 and loves it, but it is also shooting my handloads with 4227 and 158 gr jsp. I would imagine your father has plenty of experience with the 45 acp as well.

Please thank him for his service to our country.

They teach in public schools? I thought it was straight up brain washing.

I actually do teach in a public school...and do not "brain wash".
I work every school day with students and do my best to encourage them to think for themselves , among many other things.

To equate all Teachers as those who push a certain agenda or "brain wash" is exactly the same as saying:
All gun owners are dangerous racist individuals.

Both statements are equally worthless as neither are true for the whole of each group.

Blanket statements such as yours that I quoted here do nothing but spread further divisiveness and discontent.
What you have said is extremely insulting to me as a teacher and gun owner.
Andy

If it was my dad , I'd tell him to look at S&W's . Now , does he prefer a pre-lock or not , that starts the voyage . Then , SS or blued ? I myself would lean towards a 686 , but a snobby can be expensive .

Another to look at is the M28 , the Highway Patrolman . It's blued , but mine is one of the best shooting 357's I own . You can pick up a nice one in your price range . There's also the M27 , blued , which are great shooters .

In all honesty , I am talking older S&W's , which is where my love is . I don't own one with a lock , just personal preference . I know people that do , and they love them . That will open up your list even more .

Feel free to contact me with any questions if you find one and want any info .
Yeah. I had a model 28 back in the day. Very good shooter. But they are N frame guns, the same large size as the .44 mag. They are bigger and heavier than most would want for concealed carry. Great for hunting or range though.

What you have said is extremely insulting to me as a teacher and gun owner.

I'll preface by saying I hear you regarding blanket statements and you are correct.

But perhaps you are:
1) easily offended.
2) not paying attention to what has been going in our schools.

Maybe it is not as prevalent where are located but to suggest brain washing, indoctrination or whatever you want to called it doesn't exist in the public school system is ludicrous.

A very, very small sampling...
https://www.heritage.org/education/...ur-children-are-getting-indoctrinated-leftist
https://www.intellectualtakeout.org/article/i-am-witness-brainwashing-public-schools/
https://nypost.com/2021/01/30/dad-says-nyc-doe-public-schools-are-brainwashing-kids/
https://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/why-are-schools-brainwashing-our-children/
https://thefederalist.com/2020/06/2...d-a-workshop-teaching-the-police-are-racists/

I'm not saying Mr. Andy54Hawken period 3 and 5 "Brain washing 101" is a thing so don't take it that way.

I'll preface by saying I hear you regarding blanket statements and you are correct.

But perhaps you are:
1) easily offended.
2) not paying attention to what has been going in our schools.

Maybe it is not as prevalent where are located but to suggest brain washing, indoctrination or whatever you want to called it doesn't exist in the public school system is ludicrous.

A very, very small sampling...
https://www.heritage.org/education/...ur-children-are-getting-indoctrinated-leftist
https://www.intellectualtakeout.org/article/i-am-witness-brainwashing-public-schools/
https://nypost.com/2021/01/30/dad-says-nyc-doe-public-schools-are-brainwashing-kids/
https://www.macleans.ca/news/canada/why-are-schools-brainwashing-our-children/
https://thefederalist.com/2020/06/2...d-a-workshop-teaching-the-police-are-racists/

I'm not saying Mr. Andy54Hawken period 3 and 5 "Brain washing 101" is a thing so don't take it that way.

I did not say that what you call brain washing was not happening.
I can not speak for all teachers or all schools....only what I do and my school.
And I do not brain wash...I teach.

Easily offended....I take pride in my profession as a teacher as well as a being a gun owner.
So...yes , what you said was offensive to me.

Glad to see we are in agreement at least with the blanket statements...
Andy

I did not say that what you call brain washing was not happening.
I can not speak for all teachers or all schools....only what I do and my school.
And I do not brain wash...I teach.

Easily offended....I take pride in my profession as a teacher as well as a being a gun owner.
So...yes , what you said was offensive to me.

Glad to see we are in agreement at least with the blanket statements...
Andy

I'm sorry I offended you, it was not my intension.

In fact, I'm sure the country could use more teachers like you as you are in the minority.

Last Edited:
The KS6 is a good idea. This is also good. Colt King Cobra Carry. 6 shots, good trigger, replaceable front sight. Some quirks I don't like, but basically works great. With good grips 25 yrds not a problem. But all revolvers require a crush hand grip,imo.

Attachments

• sTleFqJdQ2iJxbwhk8VMLQ.jpg
    sTleFqJdQ2iJxbwhk8VMLQ.jpg
    329.2 KB · Views: 146
I thought that you said that your Father had senile dementia or was declining in some physical/mental matters.

You mentioned this when it came to him selling primers in a recent thread. Some friend ripped him off post with your Dad's primers?

Maybe your Father is still safe using a handgun and I misunderstood what you stated elsewhere. If so, please IGNORE my sincere questioning - concern when it comes to his lapses or NON lapses mentally/physically in gun use - self defense issues or not.

Is he going to keep this gun as a 'house gun only' or does he plan on carrying - conceal or open carry?

I would NEVER ever suggest a SUPER LIGHT WEIGHT - super short barrel - small frame d/a revolver using full loads (357Magnum or 44Magnum.) to a person who already HAS hand/wrist or arm issues and the same thing when it comes to some semi automatic pistols too.

With that said, I DO agree with Old Broad44 in MANY of her comments as usual.

I have owned, shot and carried several Smith and Wesson d/a revolvers and 2 S&W semi automatic pistols. Several Ruger single action revolvers too. Glocks too.

(I think that Ruger single action revolvers are great for people with hand/wrist/arm issues and specific Glocks too.)

I think that a longer barrel in a S&W MODEL 686 is a great gun to own, shoot and carry whether you OC or CC. I had one and shot 357Magnum and 38Specials and 38Special PLUS P out of it. IT was not a snubby! Mine was in a six inch barrel - six rounds - no plus - 7 round model which was offered in the late 90's.

Great gun and I think (?) that my former MODEL 686 was a -5.

I did LIKE my Smith and Wesson J FRAME d/a revolver MODEL 60 - 5 Rounds and that had a 3 inch barrel but it was one in ONLY 38Special and Plus P. S&W was doing a close out of them at the time and only going to 357Magnum. My former dealer gave me the instant rebate plus more OFF of that NIB gun too. Late 90's.

I did LIKE my Smith and Wesson J FRAME d/a revolver MODEL 317 in 22lr too. KIT gun - light weight and I carried that in a robe, jacket, fanny pack, briefcase, etc. too. IT had a 3 inch barrel on it just like the MODEL 60 did but it was a different d/a revolver. NOT stainless steel, etc. Late 90's or early 2000? It was an 8 round d/a revolver but it did NOT have the ugly (My opinion!) fiber optic green front sight that are on them NOW. Mine had a fixed front sight in metal.

I never thought that shooting a LESS THAN 3 INCH BARREL was comfortable shooting for myself in any caliber.

I never OWNED or wanted a barrel length shorter than 3 inches in any brand, style, caliber, etc. handgun.

I did shoot my MT husband's former Ruger SP101 (357Magnum) that had a shorter barrel - less than 3 inches long using 38Special and Plus P ammunition. I did NOT like that at all! I shot it ONE TIME at the range just to see how I liked it. IT was a NICE handgun and he carried it for many years among many other guns that he owned but shorter than 3 inches? NOT for me - it was NOT comfortable shooting at all.

I believe that HEAVIER FRAMES in TOP BRANDS and LONGER BARRELS - 6 to 6.5 inch long barrels are much easier to shoot, you get better results shooting and they are much MORE COMFORTABLE to shoot! I say this coming out of a VERY BAD FALL, broken bones, nerve damage, some arthritis but NOT like now, range of motion issues, etc. in my late 40's buying/shooting my own firearms.

I am 70 years old now and I have not owned or shot handguns for several years. It was my own decision to make when it came to my arthritis and due to my bad days. So I QUIT shooting handguns. Quit carrying handguns. Sold and gifted my handguns. I did NOT want any more damage to my hands, wrists and arm.

I DO realize that NOT every single 60 something and older person is exactly as I am physically when it comes to HAND issues, etc. too! ALL of us are different.

Some ladies like me (And men!) CAN and did shoot heavier handguns in several calibers for a time frame too. Some are still shooting them! You don't have to have large hands to shoot some very SPECIFIC HANDGUNS in my opinion.

Even a Ruger Blackhawk in 45Long Colt - 7.5 inch barrel and other RUGER Blackhawk s/a revolvers in 357Magnum using 357Magnum or 38Special ammunition - 6.5 inch barrels are much EASIER TO SHOOT and much easier on your old bones, former accident or not, arthritis, etc. It was like that for me in my late 40's. Late 90's and on.

So your Father does not like 22lr or 22wmr ammunition in handguns too? Many senior citizens with physical issues love AND shoot their d/a revolvers and s/a revolvers!

A RUGER convertible s/a revolver in 22lr/22wmr is another VERY good choice even if MANY people scoff at those types of handguns and RF ammunition. I personally owned several of them.

My MT husband owned a few of them and HE had an OLD MODEL RUGER BEARCAT too.

My Ruger single action revolvers were ONLY in the NEW MODEL versions because that was what they made when I bought my NIB guns from the late 90's and on.

ADDED MORE.

My last RUGER in 22lr/22wmr did not have the wood grips. It had the black grip with the RUGER name on it. It was VERY comfortable to shoot too.

I NEVER bought or owned a RUGER handgun in any style other than IN a single action revolver too. (My late husband owned a Ruger Mark 2 or 3 (?) in 22lr - semi automatic pistol among his VERY FEW handguns/rifles total.)

Your mileage and your Dad's mileage may vary!

BEST wishes to your Father no matter what he decides to do.

Cate

Last Edited:
My 79 yr old father wants a snubby revolver for carry. He no longer can handle his Kimber Custom Carry due to hand strength. I told him about the S&W EZ and he's not interested in anything in 9mm or .380. He wants a 6-shot revolver with a 2" or 3" barrel in .357 Magnum.

Now, the man knows more about fine longarms than just about anyone on the planet, but handguns aren't his thing. So he asked me what I'd recommend. Immediately, I thought of the Kimber K6. But, I'm a semi-auto guy and know very little about revolvers. He asked about the Taurus lineup, and I said all I knew was that it was a crapshoot with Taurus from what I'd heard. The guy can afford a Kimber, but was asking about Taurus, so who knows what he wants to spend.

What are some good, solid choices in the under $1000 price range for a 6-shot revolver with 2" or 3" barrel?
Well, did dad get a snubby?

Every time I think of a Revolver this comes to mind to each is own personally I'd never carry one; at least not without a backup semi auto. I hope you find what you're looking for! Keith's has a great selection and he is pretty knowledgeable! I know there is always a wait to get in, but worth it if you get the information you need. Best of luck ! FBFDA515-D202-4ADB-8E69-332BD85FA324.jpeg

Every time I think of a Revolver this comes to mind to each is own personally I'd never carry one; at least not without a backup semi auto. I hope you find what you're looking for! Keith's has a great selection and he is pretty knowledgeable! I know there is always a wait to get in, but worth it if you get the information you need. Best of luck ! View attachment 840545

The solution, 8-shot .357, smack the last one in in the head.
https://ruger.com/products/redhawk/specSheets/5059.html

I have a model 15.k frame snubby i am quite happy with. I have no problem with 125g +p+ loads in it but would not want to be shooting the same weight revolver in 357. To me there is no need for the additional issues.

Every time I think of a Revolver this comes to mind to each is own personally I'd never carry one; at least not without a backup semi auto. I hope you find what you're looking for! Keith's has a great selection and he is pretty knowledgeable! I know there is always a wait to get in, but worth it if you get the information you need. Best of luck ! View attachment 840545
Speed loader, if you train it is as fast as a Mag change.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top