JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My 79 yr old father wants a snubby revolver for carry. He no longer can handle his Kimber Custom Carry due to hand strength. I told him about the S&W EZ and he's not interested in anything in 9mm or .380. He wants a 6-shot revolver with a 2" or 3" barrel in .357 Magnum.

Now, the man knows more about fine longarms than just about anyone on the planet, but handguns aren't his thing. So he asked me what I'd recommend. Immediately, I thought of the Kimber K6. But, I'm a semi-auto guy and know very little about revolvers. He asked about the Taurus lineup, and I said all I knew was that it was a crapshoot with Taurus from what I'd heard. The guy can afford a Kimber, but was asking about Taurus, so who knows what he wants to spend.

What are some good, solid choices in the under $1000 price range for a 6-shot revolver with 2" or 3" barrel?

I had a SW Airweight 38+P. Due to the aluminum frame, 38+P were downright miserable to shoot. Unfortunately, I'm not sure the light weight snub is the way to go; it sounds like he might need the lack of weight, unless I'm mis-understanding the hand strength issue.

There's a whole "snubby" thread that I was looking at here. They're gonna know more than I could ask. I'm happy shooting.38s out of my wife's lady smith SW .357, other than that the polished wood grip is really tiny and slick in my hands.
my buddy has a 686 I believe in 7-8 rounds in .357 I really like 4" barrel. I could shoot anything in that all day.

Smooth and Wesson has a whole line up that fits this category. Some are really nice too.

Colt MKIII snub nose, heavy for the recoil and just a fine revolver. Made when a Colt was still a Colt, but won't break the bank. I think your Dad might appreciate the nostalgia of one. By reading some of your other posts, he has impeccable taste.

The SP101 is heavy, which definitely helps with stout 357 loads. Never heard a bad thing about one either.

I haven't owned a SW but have been looking at them extensively lately. Been thinking about trying a 38 for carry. I don't know much about them, and everything I've read thus far says that they are great pistols.

The SP101 is heavy, which definitely helps with stout 357 loads. Never heard a bad thing about one either.

My only experience with one was a few year ago when a buddy said he and his wife couldn't hit anything with her SP-101. So, me and my brother, a SWAT member and certified trainer, agreed to meet at the range to help our buddy and his wife.

We had the wife load the pistol and tried to hit a paper plate at 7 yards. She couldn't do it. We worked on her stance, sight acquisition, trigger pull, etc. She couldn't get on paper.

So, my brother took the pistol and squeezed off a few rounds and got 2 hits out of 6, on an 8" plated, slow-fire, at 7 yards. I tried and got 5 out of 6. We started laughing and told our buddy that his Ruger was possibly the most inaccurate pistol either of us had ever fired and to send it back to Ruger.

We then had the wife fire our conceal carry guns and once she started getting little groups, her confidence returned.

So, my only experience with a Ruger SP-101 was incredibly negative, hence my reluctance in ever wanting to subject anyone to that experience.

My only experience with one was a few year ago when a buddy said he and his wife couldn't hit anything with her SP-101. So, me and my brother, a SWAT member and certified trainer, agreed to meet at the range to help our buddy and his wife.

We had the wife load the pistol and tried to hit a paper plate at 7 yards. She couldn't do it. We worked on her stance, sight acquisition, trigger pull, etc. She couldn't get on paper.

So, my brother took the pistol and squeezed off a few rounds and got 2 hits out of 6, on an 8" plated, slow-fire, at 7 yards. I tried and got 5 out of 6. We started laughing and told our buddy that his Ruger was possibly the most inaccurate pistol either of us had ever fired and to send it back to Ruger.

We then had the wife fire our conceal carry guns and once she started getting little groups, her confidence returned.

So, my only experience with a Ruger SP-101 was incredibly negative, hence my reluctance in ever wanting to subject anyone to that experience.
Totally get it.

If I could reassure you any, it would be that it is one that shouldn't be overlooked. Great revolver.

I have an SP101 in 38spl. At 25 yards it's all over the silhouette. I've resolved to myself that it's practical for under ten yards at best, it is what it is. It's possible that hers is also kind of long in the tooth, mine is at least 25 years old.

A S&W 640 Pro Series has been on my lust list for a long time, but for the money, a K6s is still a better gun.

Taurus is a crapshoot, the SP101 has an 87lb 14-stage trigger, Charter Arms is around still, I'm not sure how.

I don't have any experience with the modern Colts.

Model 60 | Smith & Wesson (smith-wesson.com)

But 357 and hand strength do not go , well.. hand and hand
178013_01_lg_1.jpg

Hand size and comfort matters. Let your father choose.

So then....
Even for me.....38 special P+ in a J frame has a stout amount of recoil. For me.....a .357 Mag in a J frame? No thanks.

A K frame is much more manageable. Though heavier, larger/harder to conceal.

Aloha, Mark

PS......practice. Using .38 special WC can really build confidence quickly. BUT remember to run some full powder Defense Loads too.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top