JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Dad, Son Get Death Penalty In Bank Bombing

<broken link removed>

SALEM, Ore. -- A jury has recommended the death sentence for a father and son who planted a bomb that killed two police officers at a Woodburn bank.

Joshua Turnidge and his father, Bruce Turnidge, placed the bomb at a West Coast Bank in Woodburn in December 2008. The explosion killed a state police bomb technician and a Woodburn police captain.

The two men stood with their lawyers and showed very little emotion when Marion County Circuit Judge Tom Hart read the jury's recommendation.

During testimony, prosecutors said the Turnidges celebrated the Okalahoma City bombing and that Bruce Turnidge viewed Timothy McVeigh as a hero.

Over the course of the trial, the father and son turned on each other. Each placed the blame on the other.

Prosecutors had argued that a death sentence was the only way to protect the community from the Turnidges' violent actions. They portrayed the father and son as anti-government.

On Dec. 12, 2008, police responded to a suspicious device found at West Coast Bank in Woodburn. After they took it inside, it exploded.

Capt. Tom Tennant and OSP Senior Trooper William Hakim were killed. Woodburn Police Chief Scott Russell was wounded and woke up from a coma one week later.

Almost two years later, a jury convicted the Turnidges on 18 counts each of aggravated murder and other charges in connection with the bombing.

Holy crap. Well done jury!! I just hate to think how much tax $$ will be spent on these guys appeals, etc

There are 8 seperate appeals processes before they can get the death penalty. Oregon has not exicuted anyone against their will since we reinstatuted the death penalty. BUT being on death row is basically a life sentance in solitary. They will not be part of the geneal prison population

Hooray wasted tax dollars! Don't get me wrong, they deserve it, but I'd rather just stick them in prison for life than spend $$$ on over 9000 appeals. The effect on me in the end is the same either way (remove the violent criminals from society) so I'd sooner go for the cheaper option personally.

Great news!

Oregon execution chamber
10288.jpg

I've always thought a lottery process would be the best. Buy a lottery ticket and if you are the winner you get to do the execution. Have to provide your own weapon and bullets tho. The state wins several ways that way. Income provided by ticket sales could be directed toward criminal rehab or public schools!

It's so sad we live in a state, world, etc that as soon as everyone heard this news we all thought the same thing. These guys especially the dad will die of old age before they ever see a needle. Other than taxpayer health care. Case and point on why our country is going down the drain and why our justice system is a joke.

They should have just walked these guys out the back door and shot them in the head. Society would be safer.

my problem with it is unequal standards of justice.... example....

''I don't regret setting bombs,'' Bill Ayers said. ''I feel we didn't do enough.'' Mr. Ayers, who spent the 1970's as a fugitive in the Weather Underground, was sitting in the kitchen of his big turn-of-the-19th-century stone house in the Hyde Park district of Chicago....

''Everything was absolutely ideal on the day I bombed the Pentagon,'' he writes. But then comes a disclaimer: ''Even though I didn't actually bomb the Pentagon -- we bombed it, in the sense that Weathermen organized it and claimed it.'' He goes on to provide details about the manufacture of the bomb and how a woman he calls Anna placed the bomb in a restroom. No one was killed or injured, though damage was extensive. Between 1970 and 1974 the Weathermen took responsibility for 12 bombings, Mr. Ayers writes, and also helped spring Timothy Leary (sentenced on marijuana charges) from jail....

So, would Mr. Ayers do it all again, he is asked? ''I don't want to discount the possibility,'' he said.

you have to consider intent of the bombers: neither Tunridges or Ayers intended to kill anyone. Ayers got away with bombing and is a tenured professor today. Had one of his bombs been detonated by police and killed someone, would Ayers be on death row? I doubt it. They all should be behind bars for life.

I shouldn't say this but,...
:s0155:

I heard a part of his defense was to claim that his children would be fatherless,...
I wonder if he considered the policemen's children before he built, and planted that bomb.

2 bubblegum eating bubblegumholes. I say blow the bubblegum out of both of them with a big bubblegum bomb. But this is Orahgonn and these 2 bubblegums will probably out live me. BUBBLEGUMS.

Lars said that the cost was about the same for both life and death but that it might be a bit higher for life because of the cost of health care as the the inmates grow older. Also, he said that one execution deters about 20 others from trying the same crime.

Lars said that the cost was about the same for both life and death but that it might be a bit higher for life because of the cost of health care as the the inmates grow older. Also, he said that one execution deters about 20 others from trying the same crime.

That's interesting to look at it from a pure cost analysis perspective. I always looked at it as more of a right thing/wrong thing rather than the respective cost to Joe Taxpayer. Did Lars happen to mention where he got the info about every execution deterring 20 others from committing a crime that could lead to the death penalty. I'm pro death penalty but not because it's a deterrent which I don't think it is but because it's justice and people should get what they deserve.

I believe the death penalty was a good choice for these fellas. I hope that it happens and they sit dreading for the day. What a couple of scumbags.

I would gladly pay more tax to execute more a$$holes on Oregon's death row.
Give me a box to check off.
I like the lottery suggestion also.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews