JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Guns that are single action or double action. in single action mode the hammer has to be cocked back, and SA reduces the weight of the trigger pull.
Double has the trigger pull from when the trigger is reset till it fires. Single is to have a way easier trigger pull. Thats all I know

A lot of people feel glock's are DA. They are the 1 and only Safe Action.

Safe action=3 safety's in the gun, they all get disengaged the farther the trigger gets pulled. Or safe action means......Finger off the trigger.

As for the difference between the 2 I dont know. As having the name Glockguy. I probably didnt need to explain that to you huh?

For clarification:

DAO= Double action only. the hammer always moves rearword with every trigger pull. The pull weight is consistent throughout the squeeze, and with every subsequent shot.

SAO: Not really ever called "Single Action Only," just "Single action." Most 1911 style pistols are SA. The hammer has to be cocked in order for the weapon to fire, as the trigger does not assist the hammer back. Smooth and crisp triggers are the name of the game here, with lighter pulls than DAO.

DA/SA: First trigger pull is DA, and every subsequent pull thereafter is SA. The slide cocks the hammer.

Glocks are arguably DAO. The trigger pull never changes, and they aren't "cocked and locked" per se. They are striker fired. I would say they sort of stand in a class of their own, shared by a few others (Springfield XD, S&W M&P, Sigma to name a few.) as the action is nether TRULY DA or SA.

Glocks are truly DAO and 1911's are truly SA repeaters but otherwise you did a very good job describing the differences between DA, SA, DAO, and DA/SA Selftest.

I much prefer SA triggers, others prefer DAO triggers. Both have the advantage of having the same trigger pull every time but I find DA triggers to be a wee bit harder to master and shoot accurately do in large part to the long hard trigger pull. I prefer a short light trigger pull myself and am perfectly comfortable carrying cocked and locked knowing full well that I have to flick the safety off as I draw (FWIW if you practice like this it is no slower then drawing and firing a DAO gun).

I'm not here to push either one of these actions on anybody so please lets not fight about this. I respect others personal preference, please respect mine. If you prefer DAO kool I own one of those as well. Know this though there are good DA triggers and there are bad ones which is also true of SA's so don't base your opinion on a single gun that you have fired. I've fired DA guns that just plain sucked in my opinion yet I have fired other DA guns that were absolutely a pleasure to shoot same with SA. I've never fired a Glock admittedly but they are supposed to have very good DA triggers just like a few other DA triggers I have experience with.

IMHO people shouldn't get absurdly hung up on which action is better. Both can be very good depending on the gun design and like wise both can be $h1tty. My advice is to not dwell on action and try out different guns until you find ones that work well for you. IMO anybody that claims one action is superior to another hands down, is merely showing their lack of experience when it comes to different guns. They have yet to make a perfect gun, action, trigger, etc. for everybody. Everybody is different and usually prefer what works best for them which is the way it should be.

Per my 2002 Glock Armorers Manual and 2009 Glock Annual magazine, it states the action is "Safe Action" (constant double action mode). Trigger travel for discharge is 0.5in. or 12.5mm.
The beauty of the the Glock trigger is it's short reset (about 3/16in). :cool:

Per my 2002 Glock Armorers Manual and 2009 Glock Annual magazine, it states the action is "Safe Action" (constant double action mode). Trigger travel for discharge is 0.5in. or 12.5mm.
The beauty of the the Glock trigger is it's short reset (about 3/16in). :cool:

Glocks are typically 5.5# trigger pull. Funny thing is that a lot of 1911s are 5# but people say the pull is "crisp" or "easy".

I think the feel is radically different. Glock triggers feel like mush to me - ditto for Springfield XDs - compared to 1911 triggers. SA triggers feel, well, crisper ;-)

I also find, weirdly, that I only shoot Glocks accurately if I am careful to put my finger tip (as opposed to the first crease joint) on the trigger, while with SA it doesn't really matter.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top