Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

DA only.... SA only... Whats the difference?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by glockguy, Oct 24, 2009.

1. glockguy

glockguy Albany Oregon Well-Known Member

DA only.... SA only... Whats the difference?

Wat is the difference in the trigger pull with DA and SA only handguns?

and also are Glocks Double/Single?

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

2. .45's and .38's

.45's and .38's Happy Valley OR Well-Known Member

Guns that are single action or double action. in single action mode the hammer has to be cocked back, and SA reduces the weight of the trigger pull.
    Double has the trigger pull from when the trigger is reset till it fires. Single is to have a way easier trigger pull. Thats all I know

3. theduke

theduke NW Member

DAO ? Seems odd.

4. .45's and .38's

.45's and .38's Happy Valley OR Well-Known Member

A lot of people feel glock's are DA. They are the 1 and only Safe Action.

Safe action=3 safety's in the gun, they all get disengaged the farther the trigger gets pulled. Or safe action means......Finger off the trigger.

As for the difference between the 2 I dont know. As having the name Glockguy. I probably didnt need to explain that to you huh?

5. glockguy

lol Well Iv heard alot of different things soo I just liek to see wat other people think as well

6. Ding

Ding Lighter Side of Oz Active Member

glocks are OK I guess,if someone else owns them.I have SA and DA,I like the SA

7. Selftest

Selftest Bellingham, WA Member

For clarification:

DAO= Double action only. the hammer always moves rearword with every trigger pull. The pull weight is consistent throughout the squeeze, and with every subsequent shot.

SAO: Not really ever called "Single Action Only," just "Single action." Most 1911 style pistols are SA. The hammer has to be cocked in order for the weapon to fire, as the trigger does not assist the hammer back. Smooth and crisp triggers are the name of the game here, with lighter pulls than DAO.

DA/SA: First trigger pull is DA, and every subsequent pull thereafter is SA. The slide cocks the hammer.

Glocks are arguably DAO. The trigger pull never changes, and they aren't "cocked and locked" per se. They are striker fired. I would say they sort of stand in a class of their own, shared by a few others (Springfield XD, S&W M&P, Sigma to name a few.) as the action is nether TRULY DA or SA.

8. torpedoman

torpedoman land of corrupt politicians Member

DAO; accuracy suffers from the long trigger pull. Your results may differ.

9. NK777

NK777 West of Portland Member

Glocks are truly DAO and 1911's are truly SA repeaters but otherwise you did a very good job describing the differences between DA, SA, DAO, and DA/SA Selftest.

I much prefer SA triggers, others prefer DAO triggers. Both have the advantage of having the same trigger pull every time but I find DA triggers to be a wee bit harder to master and shoot accurately do in large part to the long hard trigger pull. I prefer a short light trigger pull myself and am perfectly comfortable carrying cocked and locked knowing full well that I have to flick the safety off as I draw (FWIW if you practice like this it is no slower then drawing and firing a DAO gun).

I'm not here to push either one of these actions on anybody so please lets not fight about this. I respect others personal preference, please respect mine. If you prefer DAO kool I own one of those as well. Know this though there are good DA triggers and there are bad ones which is also true of SA's so don't base your opinion on a single gun that you have fired. I've fired DA guns that just plain sucked in my opinion yet I have fired other DA guns that were absolutely a pleasure to shoot same with SA. I've never fired a Glock admittedly but they are supposed to have very good DA triggers just like a few other DA triggers I have experience with.

IMHO people shouldn't get absurdly hung up on which action is better. Both can be very good depending on the gun design and like wise both can be $h1tty. My advice is to not dwell on action and try out different guns until you find ones that work well for you. IMO anybody that claims one action is superior to another hands down, is merely showing their lack of experience when it comes to different guns. They have yet to make a perfect gun, action, trigger, etc. for everybody. Everybody is different and usually prefer what works best for them which is the way it should be.

10. glockguy

I fully agree thats why i sold sold my S&W 4053 today

11. spookshack

spookshack Forest Grove, OR Life Member Lifetime Supporter 2016 Volunteer

Per my 2002 Glock Armorers Manual and 2009 Glock Annual magazine, it states the action is "Safe Action" (constant double action mode). Trigger travel for discharge is 0.5in. or 12.5mm.
    The beauty of the the Glock trigger is it's short reset (about 3/16in). :cool:

12. raindog

raindog Portland, OR Active Member

Glocks are typically 5.5# trigger pull. Funny thing is that a lot of 1911s are 5# but people say the pull is "crisp" or "easy".

I think the feel is radically different. Glock triggers feel like mush to me - ditto for Springfield XDs - compared to 1911 triggers. SA triggers feel, well, crisper ;-)

I also find, weirdly, that I only shoot Glocks accurately if I am careful to put my finger tip (as opposed to the first crease joint) on the trigger, while with SA it doesn't really matter.

13. Tactical SS

Tactical SS Washington Member

Can't you also manually cock the hammer back on the first shot making it SA?

14. spookshack

Glock triggers ARE mushy compared to a 1911 trigger. lol

15. spookshack

Yes