JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
There is no blinders involved. The only "Flaw" I can find is that it is an extremely good fit that will require working it in. I make my living with metal, if I was an idiot I would be pissed because it is too tight, since I have 25 years experience as a metal worker I recognize that it is just extremely well made and will work in to be a superior fit up. The higher quality something is the less tolerance. Seems like it's important to you to bad mouth something you have never seen or held and have no experience with. I spent my money on it, held it in my hands and have others to compare it to. 4 other .308 bolts and around 20 AR15 bolts.

I would not recommend you buy one, as it seems you would prefer a sloppy one size fits everything rather than a match grade part.

Match ? really....haven't ran into tight match parts like that on an AR Bolt yet.

Young's slides right into any extension its encountered without needing encouragement . The bolt doesn't receive as much of a "tight" match fit as the carrier does.
Either way a tight anything equates less reliability as for as stoppages and stuckages. If your building a bench match AR and you think your set then more power to you.......you would never want that on a weapon that even might be remotely defensive
reliability it built in if standard spec it adhered too, you might call it "sloppy"
AND you guys are entirely way too over sensitive.....crap
that dude you guys are shaking down didn't insult anyone or get personal, he happens to have a couple valid points that don't align with the way you guys see this part......so what, he don't like it, so what.....no need to get all defensive
you come to a public forum to post up something you are most certainly bragging on , EXPECT to have people critique it ....

I stand by what I said. I don't think anyone is being overly sensitive. I thinks its pretty obvious that some in this discussion are adding relevant information and asking relevant questions, others are simply complaining to complain.

Critiquing is one thing, complaining and being negative without adding anything relevant is another. It just slows up the actual information that matters.

the real deal ?
Real-deal.jpg

There is no blinders involved. The only "Flaw" I can find is that it is an extremely good fit that will require working it in. I make my living with metal, if I was an idiot I would be pissed because it is too tight, since I have 25 years experience as a metal worker I recognize that it is just extremely well made and will work in to be a superior fit up. The higher quality something is the less tolerance. Seems like it's important to you to bad mouth something you have never seen or held and have no experience with. I spent my money on it, held it in my hands and have others to compare it to. 4 other .308 bolts and around 20 AR15 bolts.

I would not recommend you buy one, as it seems you would prefer a sloppy one size fits everything rather than a match grade part.

As an aside to this earlier post we are not talking about AR15 parts here where there is a spec and a standard. If you bought a AR15 bolt and it did not fit in a AR15 barrel extension, yeah I would say that is unacceptable. There is no spec or standard for .308 stuff. We are shooting for DPMS/LR-308/SR.-25 compatible but it's not like the AR15 where there is a mil spec for every part and everybody abides by it and it either is or isn't within spec. In the .308 world if you are building a AR rifle it's not a just start buying random parts from various manufactures and slap it all together like a AR15 deal. Not all parts cross, not even all DPMS pattern parts will work in all DPMS pattern rifles. It's actually kind of a crap shoot when you start mixing manufactures. So my assumption is some of you are looking at this from the standpoint of experience with AR15's and it's not apples to apples. Most every other kind of gun you could work on if you bought a mechanical part for it it's might require some fit and tuning.

So all this got me to thinking. He is not saying but I am pretty sure he is making the Rainer Match BCG. I just happen to have a fresh Rainer select .308 barrel. I mounted up the barrel this afternoon and checked headspace with the Wilson Bolt. Glass smooth, perfect lock up none of the grittiness or stickiness I had with the Aero Precision barrel. I actually need to take a video showing it going into and out of battery because it's a beautiful thing.

So there you have it, I think it would work in fine with a little lapping compound on the Aero but the Rainer is smooth as silk. I'll leave the Aero bolt with the Aero barrel but I am going to swap the Wilson for my primary in the new rifle even though I just bought it for a spare.

IronMonster... That ~May Have~ Been the Most Significant single portion of this thread!!!!

And I thank you, for bringing that portion into this fiasco!!!

I as a VietNam Veteran, still have a Bias against the AR 15 platform in general... No need to discuss the whys...

But when I had the funding to go into my Main Battle Rifle, being old school, it was .308, and I finally choose my Platform: H&K 91, via the PTR Company... And H&K Integrity... My serial number in the 2K range, very tight specs per H&K blue print...

If I were to desire a 223/5.56X45 platform, there are a number of non AR platforms to look at, or gulp, a piston driven AR.... Its just another issue of having Lived the entire history of Stoner's Great design, fouled up, by dotGOV specs after the fact.

philip,

Trouble Shooter One Five, TayNinh, RVN 1969/70

I was watching a video on the Kalashnikov and there was a blurb in there about him more or less not making a dime from the design of the AK-47 But old Eugene got paid being the the US, According the the story Stoner got paid a buck for every AR sold (I would assume that is both Armilite and Colt)

Back in the 60's a buck was nothing to sneeze at. I would say he got paid damn well.

Philip I have a HK91 clone. Mine is a Springfield SAR3/8. Its a really sweet rifle.

I think as far as clones go its one of the nicest. The thing that I like about the AR platform is I can work on it myself and I have piles of spares. If my HK91 clone had any glitch it pretty much becomes a club. Even something as simple as a broken spring and I am out of commission. The AR's I can maintain a fleet of them for the rest of my life on my parts kit and I understand what it takes to make them run. I think the HK is probably a better gun, but I can build 3-4 .308 AR's for what a real HK costs, two for just what my Springfield is worth.

Really that is what it comes down too. I like the AR's because I understand them and enjoy futzing around. I would not argue they are the best battle rifle but hopefully I never need a battle rifle.

IronMonster... True Story... As I have mentioned on this forum, multiple times... I was in the Last Unit in Ft. Lewis Basic Training, to use the M-14, (6 out of 8 weeks) we "Graduated" as the first Basic Training there, to use the M-16.

The ~only~ Time my Drill Sargent, a Hispanic (& Catholic) former MP ~Ever~ broke Military Protocol ... Was when he Introduced the M-16 to us trainee's!!!!

Twice!!!

The first time, was as he was describing the "New Weapon" and stated it was made by Mattel :D then, later, and very seriously... In reference to Bayonet fighting... He actually shook his head, and suggested that it may not be as capable, as with the M-14, and actually infered it would break under the real Stresses put on a rifle, under Bayonet Fighting!

This, combined with the stories already coming back from Nam, of men Dying, while trying to keep, or get their M-16 clean... In Battle.

Stoner's Original Concept Package included an almost Propiatory Gun Powder ... Super clean burning: the Army new that, but could Not supply enough ammo, and thought that just matching Chamber Pressure and Muzzel Velocity was enough... This was prior to that Forward Assist Device was added...

We had the Forward assist device added by the time I was in Nam... But my head was clear about the Army by then... In Fact, it was not until landing in RVN, that I realized that the MOS Number was also a NSN Number, National Stock Number... We need 87 more 11B20's, etc. :mad:

but I'm over ~Most~ of that, now... I would rather have my SKS, or an AK47 if it is short distance shooting.... I have not shot any of the so cold "heavy" weight 5.56X45, you know it was only 55 grains back then!!!!

philip :rolleyes:

http://cartech.ides.com/datasheet.aspx?i=101&E=100

Actually C158 bolts fail on a regular basis. I think you will find bolt life in a harsh environment to be something on the order of 5-10k rounds and something like half of them will fail in this range.

Seems to me I read someplace that the govenment considers 5000 rds to be the useful life of the bolt.

When I get home I'll have to see if I can find the story but they recently ran a S7 SRC bolt for something like 80,000 rds without failure. (That could be wrong, but that's what I remember)

S7 is hellacious strong and gets stronger with use. It is The steel used for Jackhammers to Coining dies.
I have built dies from it that coined Inconel and that stuff does not coin without blowing up about any other steel made. I think that is a damned good choice.

More air tool bits than breaker steel are made from S7. Lots of S5 too and in the old days S2. It's common knowledge that jackhammer bits where S7 but very few actually where. Most are 1045 or 1050, Brunner and Lay used case hardened stuff not much better than 1018. All the 1" square stuff you see used in rivetbusters is 8620. Sharpening jackhammer bits is something I have a bit of experience with. I've done right about sixty thousand of them. Nip off the old point, forge a new one and then 're heat treat. I used to do them on contract and did most every municipality and contractor in Idaho, Oregon and Washington. A few years ago I sold the whole operation back to the guys I was contracted with. I tell you what, after a day of forging jackhammer bits you know you did something :D. I gained 20 pounds in the year after I quit because I was still eating the same but burning a fraction of the calories.

S7 is one of my favorite steels. I use it for a lot of tooling and dies. As long as you don't wreck the heat treat the stuff is damn near indestructible. That really was the reason I jumped on those SRC bolts. I figured being S7 they should be bomb proof

I have a few blocks of inconel and have tried to forge some. It just laughed at me.

Here is a short video of my sharpening operation. I converted that 40 ton OBI press to work as a shear I am heating them in my induction forge and forging them in a 80 year old Nazel power hammer I rebuilt. Special set of ramp dies on the hammer to generate the 22deg breaker point

Last Edited:
Inconel is insanity in metal. It's like 20% more dense than steel and has a melting point that is something like 30% higher. It is also insanely expensive. They build nuke reactors bits and jet engine parts out of the stuff. Anything that has to be incredibly strong at high temps.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top