JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
An interesting <broken link removed> ....

D.C. voting rights bill tied to gun laws

The Senate approved a bill Thursday to provide the nation's capital with a voting representative in the House, but it came with a hitch. An amendment was added that would repeal most of the city's gun-control regulations.

By IAN URBINA
The New York Times

WASHINGTON — The Senate approved a bill Thursday to provide the nation's capital with a voting representative in the House, but it came with a hitch. An amendment was added that would repeal most of the city's gun-control regulations.

Approved by a 61-37 vote, the District of Columbia House Voting Rights Act would expand the House for the first time since 1913, providing a vote for Washington and an additional seat for Utah, which narrowly missed getting one after the last census.

The measure is likely to end up in the courts, however, even if a similar bill passes the House, as is expected next week. President Obama has said he will sign the legislation.

Residents and officials of the District of Columbia — a 61-square-mile area with a population of almost 600,000, about 55 percent of it black — have engaged in a long, slow fight for representation in Congress.

"This is a great victory," said Sen. Joe Lieberman, an independent Democrat from Connecticut and a co-sponsor of the bill. "More directly, it's a victory for the 600,000 people of the District of Columbia."

The action faces obstacles. It almost surely will face a court challenge from opponents who think the Constitution restricts voting representation to states, which the District of Columbia is not.

In addition, the gun amendment makes the Senate measure significantly different from the bill in the House, which could slow passage. But some members of Congress said the amendment was unlikely to survive negotiations between the House and Senate over a final version of the bill.

The amendment came eight months after the Supreme Court ruled 5-4 that the city's previous gun ban violated the Constitution's provision on bearing arms. The amendment would limit the city's authority to restrict firearms, repeal its ban on semi-automatic weapons and remove gun-registration requirements.

Washington residents long have chafed under what they view as Congress' paternalistic role in the city's affairs without representation there, despite residents being federal taxpayers. That sentiment is summed up by the motto on the district's license plates: "Taxation Without Representation."

"It's a big deal because D.C. has been treated as a colony of the United States," said Jane Freundel Levey, a historian for Cultural Tourism DC, a nonprofit group.

"It's a big deal because D.C.'s budget is subject to the approval of Congress; no other city has that. It's a big deal because Congress controls our judiciary and courts."

In 1971, Congress granted Washington a nonvoting member in the House, a seat held today by Democratic Delegate Eleanor Holmes Norton.

Two years later, Congress approved the Home Rule Act, which allowed Washington residents to elect a mayor and 13 City Council members. However, Congress maintained the right to review and overturn Washington laws.

I'm guessing it will get stripped-out of the final bill, but all the same...

In addition, the gun amendment makes the Senate measure significantly different from the bill in the House, which could slow passage. But some members of Congress said the amendment was unlikely to survive negotiations between the House and Senate over a final version of the bill.

Looking at the "political big picture", I believe this whole D.C. "issue" of granting them a VOTING seat in congress (not that I'm against ALL citizens having representation) is to merely negate the additional seat Utah may pick up due to the census, which I believe is a strong "red" state... D.C. will almost assuredly be a "blue" member.... :rolleyes:

Bottom line is, our Constitutional Rights like the 1st Amendment (revisit the "fairness" doctrine) and the 2nd Amendment (revist the '94 AWB) are merely "tools" to be used much like religion, abortion, gay-rights, ENVIRONMENTALISM, etc. to pander for votes, and make MONEY... usually at the "average Joe's" expense.... REGARDLESS of "Joe's" political affiliation or chosen "lifestyle"... I believe politicians view us "Joes" as meat-socks that generate the funds that they fleece from us... of course this may be PAINFULLY obvious (& simplistic) to more informed (& jaded) members here.
:s0161:

I'm a U.S. Citizen FIRST (aka Patriot), I wish more of our fellow citizens would be that way BEFORE they vote for people (and issues) that are focused on a "special interest", that "usually" negatively affect the rest of us... usually in the pocket book, because ULTIMATELY that's what it ALWAYS about.

:s0013:

NEITHER (major) political party truely has the CITIZEN'S well-being at heart.

Finally got around to blogging this one:

Round up on the status of the Senate vote to repeal post Heller DC gun laws:

<broken link removed>

Yep. They are just trying to pick up democrat seats. Trying to make sure they have total control. As a matter of fact, they probably put the positive gun policies in their so that conservatives wouldn't gripe about it as much. It is unconstitutional. Bottom line.

Yep. They are just trying to pick up democrat seats. Trying to make sure they have total control. As a matter of fact, they probably put the positive gun policies in their so that conservatives wouldn't gripe about it as much. It is unconstitutional. Bottom line.

True, but you gotta admit, getting the DC Council and their idiotic sycophants in the DC Government to basically say "Nevermind, we believe in gun control more than our "right to vote"" is the height of irony.

Cool thing is that if this passes, there's already an expedited appeals process to determine it's constitutionality. It's also severable too, which means that if it all becomes law, and the vote thing gets challenged, the other stuff still is law.

Though personally, I'd rather the DC current law stick around. The fact that DC has an AWB now based on California's law means that another lawsuit will likely filed, and with the nature of the Court of Appeals, we'll likely get the AWB struck down, which is ALSO BINDING ON CONGRESS. Bye bye federal AWB forever.

I love politics occasionally, and this is one of them.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top