Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

CZ Vs EAA

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by turq, May 4, 2010.

1. turq

turq Molino,oregon Member

Anyone have reports on these two brands; thinkine of one in 9mm. Maybe 40sw. the EAA is said to have switch barrel cap.??? Mostly I'm looking at the steel frame/compacts. Single action appears to only be avail. in full sized CZ 75 B SA.

2. HahnsXD

HahnsXD Battle Ground WA Active Member

I've got an EAA Witness Elite Match in 10mm that I like a lot! I bought a .40S&W barrel for it as well, I've got about 40 rounds of 10mm and 200 rounds of .40 through it so far, some hiccups in the first 100 rounds or so but the last 100 have been flawless...

3. d1esel

d1esel Ridgefield WA. Member

I have owned both a EAA/Tanfoglio Witness Limited in 9mm and a CZ Tactical Sports in .40.

Both are full size single action guns. The EAA is absolutely gorgeous to look at and has better ergo's than the CZ.

But in general I found the CZ to be the better gun.

It has a much tighter fit. And that has proven to make the CZ more accurate.

On the other hand, if the fit was equal on both guns I would favor the Tanfoglio.

Keith's Sporting Goods in Gresham stocks both brands. So you can do your own comparison if you get the chance.:thumbup:

4. rmlarsen

rmlarsen Seattle Member

CZ P-01

Excellent shooter in a 9MM. ALso a great carry piece!

5. torpedoman

torpedoman land of corrupt politicians Member

CZ is one of the worlds best pistol makers.

6. 2gr8dgs

2gr8dgs oregon Active Member

I have a fairly new cz 85 combat. It's very accurate, but the factory trigger pull sucked. putting in their competition hammer changed everything. I now love the gun. I think cz's are a good value. never shot a witness.

7. turq

turq Molino,oregon Member

Can I ask where you got the 85 Combat? Was it a long wait to get it. PM me if they have another...

8. 2gr8dgs

2gr8dgs oregon Active Member

I got it from Keith's. It was in stock. I did my research on pricing.They were very reasonably priced IMO. Good Luck!

9. supergenius

supergenius 206 Active Member

I have a baby eagle 40 compact (CZ clone of sorts).. LOCVE IT trust my life to it, Never one ftf in over 500

10. coop44

coop44 Tacoma ,WA Well-Known Member

I have heard tanfoglio makes the parts and ships them to Israel. Can anyone verify?

BTW here is my EAA .45 compact
    IMAG00222.JPG

11. Grizzly_A

Grizzly_A Portland Metro Area Member

The CZ is the original and the EAA/Tanfoglio and Armalite, etc. are off the same pattern. I personally really like the fit and finish of both.

I do know that the EAA has conversion kits readily available for their poly and steel frame guns so you can convert your frame to 9mm, 45, 38super, 10mm, 40, .22lr.

The EAA will run a bit less money, but they are great. The CZ is the standard though. :)

They do have larger grip width, so if you have small hands you might need to grip differently.

12. Spad

Spad Kennewick,WA, the desert side Active Member

One of the big differences is the weight. The CZ PO-1 is an alloy frame gun and much lighter. The CZ PO-1 has front sights that can be changed, I know the older Tangs front sights can't be changed, not sure on the Witness, something to check on. Spad

13. YFZsandrider

YFZsandrider Tacoma, Wa Member

One thing to consider is warranty issues. I have not owned either gun(although I will have an SP-01 soon:)), so I won't comment on reliability... But an EAA may require that the gun be shipped overseas for repair, just something to think about.

14. Seafarinman

Seafarinman Washington State Member

I have owned many Tanfoglio pistols (FIE TZ-75 9mm, Baby Eagle .45ACP, EAA Witness polymer 9mm, currently an EAA Witness Fullsize Steel .40S&W, and an EAA Witness Elite Match .40S&W) and a CZ97B .45ACP. I like the Witness pistols as from what I have seen they seem to have less machining marks than the CZ pistols, and they are cheaper too. As far as the Baby Eagle/Jericho pistols, the frames and slides are made by Tanfoglio and assembled by IDI in Israel. They also do the CD, BUL, and other similar ones as well.

15. tkdguy

tkdguy Portland, Oregon Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

I have both that were circa 1994. Both are excellant and tuff as nails. My CZ 75 out of the box would put all rounds inside of 1.5 inches at 25 yards with the 85 at 2". These guns had served the Russian Army for countless years and served them well. Given my admiration for CZ I do not know if I would deviate to a clone. FYI the 75 rear site can be upgraded to an adjustable rear site easily. tkdguy

16. coop44

I called EAA some time back, parts and service are handled here. How did you come to the conclusion of shipping guns overseas, a nearly impossible task for the average gun owner, for service? Did you bump your head? I know of no imported gun currently manufactured that requires this.

17. ernurse

ernurse molalla oregon Active Member

I used to own a EAA witness in .45 with a ported barrell, its the one gun I wish I never had sold, it was rock solid, and very accurate. Alot of gun snobs turn thier noses up at EAA, But I found it to be extremely reliable and accurate although abit heavy. just my two cents.

18. YFZsandrider

Does EAA require that you ship it back on your own dime, or do they cover the sipping?!

19. coop44

Not sure, but, most will require you pay for the shipping to them and they cover the return shipping.

20. YFZsandrider

Well, so you're paying for shipping, to them, for a warranty problem. Point being, why try to save a hundred bucks on a gun, when you'd lose close to that if you ever had to send it in? Just buy the real thing!

Same thing with a Taurus 92, why not just buy a Beretta, they're not that expensive!