JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My step dad had a failure which turned out to be a recalled lot of ammo that blew up his savage 93r17 and put some shrapnel in his hand, i do love 17hmr but ive seen/heard of more failures with that caliber than all the rest combined.

My step dad had a failure which turned out to be a recalled lot of ammo that blew up his savage 93r17 and put some shrapnel in his hand, i do love 17hmr but ive seen/heard of more failures with that caliber than all the rest combined.

Do you recalled the brand? This is about 8-10 year old federal. I'm really thinking it's the ammo at this point. I had one that delayed fire after the pin hit. I think we had another dud.

I was letting my 14 year old shoot the CZ 17 and it had a failure. Any idea what could cause this based on the case? He said the bolt was all the way closed. I haven't talk to CZ yet.

Appears the charge went down vertical and blew out the mag well area.

He has some minor cuts on his left hand and bruising. Nothing serious.
View attachment 702264

View attachment 702263
View attachment 702262

View attachment 702261
View attachment 702260

View attachment 702258View attachment 702259

View attachment 702257
If you have the box the ammo came in, save it. It should have a production code which is usually printed on the inside of the box. Manufacturer will need that to track the ammo.

The pictures do appear to show a rifle defect rather than ammo, but both will take this as a very serious thing.

Good luck. Keep us informed as to what they say/do.

Hearing that the Ammo is old and perhaps older than 10 years, might hurt a bit in trying to get the Ammo company to help in repairs.

Darn, this one may be a pickle to get anyone to help fix.

Knowing the Ammo might be old, I'd say start with CZ and see what they say, vs going straight to the Ammo manufacturer.

I regretfully tossed all the trash when we got home and the garbage truck has already gone.

I would be amazed if any ammo company would actually cover anything. Have they done this in the past without intense legal pressure?

Hearing that the Ammo is old and perhaps older than 10 years, might hurt a bit in trying to get the Ammo company to help in repairs.

Darn, this one may be a pickle to get anyone to help fix.

Knowing the Ammo might be old, I'd say start with CZ and see what they say, vs going straight to the Ammo manufacturer.
Maybe it's a design flaw with the rifle bolt. Research

Maybe it's a design flaw with the rifle bolt. Research
Could be, having known he had shot it for the last decade and nothing ever came of it?

This one is truly a as mystery.

I could theorize that the bore was dirty. Obstruction. Old ammo that perhaps over time and unknown storage conditions (heat/cold) lost its grip on the projectile. Old spec 17hmr (if I recall correctly they thickened the cases up shortly after its creation). So many variables!

Could be, having known he had shot it for the last decade and nothing ever came of it?

This one is truly a as mystery.

I could theorize that the bore was dirty. Obstruction. Old ammo that perhaps over time and unknown storage conditions (heat/cold) lost its grip on the projectile. Old spec 17hmr (if I recall correctly they thickened the cases up shortly after its creation). So many variables!
I agree. Lots of things or just a combination of them seeing the rim with the bolt closed(?) is telling.

For comparison. Savage bolt closed round chambered.

00FC4D1A-CA1F-4C81-9596-5DA6A765CB0E.jpeg

Do you recalled the brand? This is about 8-10 year old federal. I'm really thinking it's the ammo at this point. I had one that delayed fire after the pin hit. I think we had another dud.

I do not recall but it was about 7-10 years ago. I would save any serious failures, sometimes manuf help, my step dad had half a new 17hmr paid for beacause it was an already recalled lot of ammo and half was beacause he bought a more expensive 17hmr. I used to shoot alot of 556 i had several rounds that were blowing the primer out the back and i contacted the manuf and they sent me 500rds free.

Extra powder charge, bad case, premature firing (out of battery), obstructed barrel,

Should never happen. Either gun or mfg problem with ammo.

Didn't read all but you checked for barrel obstruction yes?

From three years ago, this is one of FIVE CZ 452 rifles in the LGS awaiting transport back to Edgar Bros, the importer, for comment. My interest in THIS particular rifle stems from the fact that I was on the next position on the firing line, and collected a couple of pieces of the magazine in my shooting jacket.

1590599115894.png

All five had been shooting CCI brand ammunition and all five had moderators/suppressors, and all five had rounds stuck up the barrels. We looked, and most were around 4 inches up from the chamber. The shooters were all, AFAIK, quite experienced shooters, well able to tell the difference between a round that left the barrel and one that didn't, given the almost total absence of recoil in this little round....

All five looked just like this one, with the mags blown out of the mag well, and ruin done to the mag plate.

Given the difficulties of replacing a gun here in UK one a one-for-one basis, the owners were understandably seriously pee'd off to be told that their barrels were all scrap. Replacing the rifles took around a year, I'm told.

In the USA you would walk in and walk out again with the new gun - that doesn't happen here, sadly. :(

BTW, please tell me if you see my emoticon - it's meant to be a sad face.

Last Edited:
From three years ago, this is one of FIVE CZ 452 rifles in the LGS awaiting transport back to Edgar Bros, the importer, for comment. My interest in THIS particular rifle stems from the fact that I was on the next position on the firing line, and collected a couple of pieces of the magazine in my shooting jacket.

View attachment 702511

All five had been shooting CCI brand ammunition and all five had moderators/suppressors, and all five had rounds stuck up the barrels. We looked, and most were around 4 inches up from the chamber. The shooters were all, AFAIK, quite experienced shooters, well able to tell the difference between a round that left the barrel and one that didn't, given the almost total absence of recoil in this little round....

All five looked just like this one, with the mags blown out of the mag well, and ruin done to the mag plate.

Given the difficulties of replacing a gun here in UK one a one-for-one basis, the owners were understandably seriously pee'd off to be told that their barrels were all scrap. Replacing the rifles took around a year, I'm told.

In the USA you would walk in and walk out again with the new gun - that doesn't happen here, sadly. :(

BTW, please tell me if you see my emoticon - it's meant to be a sad face.

This is very interesting. Looks like the same exact failure. Did you happen to see the case?

We had been shooting with a suppressor all weekend, but not when the failure occurred. It was removed after a few hundred rounds and went on a different gun. We had been shooting a combination of CCI, Federal, Hornady, and Winchester ammo. I was just letting the kid burn through all the old miscellaneous ammo.

I'm starting to think he might have had a prior squib and chambered another behind it. I don't see the "fired with open bolt" as a possible cause.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews