JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Good morning, I Bought this and a few other firearms from a buddy. I have no clue about this little guy. It operates like a Swiss watch. no makers markings etc. I was told it was made in the 1880s in France. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Aaron

IMG_8356.JPG

More likely to have been made in Belgium. It appears to be a pocket revolver of the kind called a 'Velo-dog'. Much bought and used by bicyclists to defend themselves against dog attacks. Apparently in those days dogs saw bicyclists as threats, and were very prone to attacking them as they rode by, hence the proliferation of small handguns used by the valiant two-wheelers to defend themselves from predation...

tac

There are a number of design features quite similar to the revolver in the ad below made by an English company. The cylinder and the unique bar located below the cylinder are the two features that stand out to me. Your example appears to be a simpler version of the one pictured but I might start researching to see if that company made other models.

untitled.png

More likely to have been made in Belgium. It appears to be a pocket revolver of the kind called a 'Velo-dog'. Much bought and used by bicyclists to defend themselves against dog attacks. Apparently in those days dogs saw bicyclists as threats, and were very prone to attacking them as they rode by, hence the proliferation of small handguns used by the valiant two-wheelers to defend themselves from predation...

tac
Thank you so much for the information!
There are a number of design features quite similar to the revolver in the ad below made by an English company. The cylinder and the unique bar located below the cylinder are the two features that stand out to me. Your example appears to be a simpler version of the one pictured but I might start researching to see if that company made other models.

View attachment 392118

Thank you so much for the information and history gentlemen! It is the neatest little pistol.
I'm very tempted to fire it, but I need to take a break from cleaning dirty weapons after my last range trip.

It may have been sold by an English company - that's what the term gun 'factors' means - but it is unlikely to have been made by any English company. The lack of proofmarks on ANY firearm sold in the UK has been illegal since the Proof Acts of 1813.

tac

Last Edited:
It may have been sold by an English company, but it is unlikely to have been made by any English company. The lack of proofmarks on ANY firearm sold in the UK has been illegal since the Proof Acts of 1813.

tac
Have you seen a lot of them in your time? You seem very knowledgeable and I really appreciate your help.

Small caliber folding trigger revolvers have acquired the name Velo-Dog (Velo--bicycle, Dog--dog duh.)
"Bicycle dog gun."
I suspect the OP's may not actually use the Velo-Dog cartridge. The cylinder looks a bit short--the
Velo-Dog cartridge had an OAL of 1.35".
As to what it actually shoots? Rimfire or centerfire? Bore diameter? Could be one of many cartridges.

A bit surprised it has no markings. Pretty much ALL of the European countries
required proof or inspector marks of some kind.

Great thread, cool gun! Abaker, do you have any leads on getting some ammo for this little gun? Is it single action?
Where is AndyInEverson, he usually chimes in on anything old gun related right away !?!

Great thread, cool gun! Abaker, do you have any leads on getting some ammo for this little gun? Is it single action?
Where is AndyInEverson, he usually chimes in on anything old gun related right away !?!
It has a weird little action. You "click" the trigger forward and that cycles it . At the point you can either pull the trigger or manually pull the hammer back and fire it from that position.
I have been finding the 5.7mm velo dog ammo online for it. I am on the fence on putting in in the curio case or up for trade.

Your not gonna carry it!? kidding. It looks like it would be hard to hammer fire while aiming, I don't think it would be much help against a Mastif....

When I was a 10yr old kid and riding my bike down a street one day, I had a Mastif tear out of his yard and come after me... I actually screamed (shreiked actually). I managed to keep the bike between me and the dog, and it finally gave up and went back into its own yard... the filthy bubblegumer!

When I was a 10yr old kid and riding my bike down a street one day, I had a Mastif tear out of his yard and come after me... I actually screamed (shreiked actually). I managed to keep the bike between me and the dog, and it finally gave up and went back into its own yard... the filthy bubblegumer!

When I was six this danged Cocker Spaniel ran out of a yard and bit me! Twice! I got tired of this chit so I got my feet up on the seat of my monster, 26" Schwinn Springer and roared on down the hill! At the bottom, dog runs out, yappin', I leap, feet land on the mutts rib cage, CAARRRRUUUNNCH!!!! Picked the, now surprisingly less vocal, dog up by the hind legs and tossed it up on the guys front porch!
Hey mister, I just rode in on the wild, Eastern Nevada, desert express turnip truck!!! I'm probably not going to grow up to be a snowflake!

BTW, this is the only dog that I ever was happy to harm!

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR