JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So...what is the most effective method to store ChemLights for long-term storage? I've searched
on-line extensively and have not been successful finding any credible storage methods.

Chemist or one of you other brains have any ideas?

Don't freeze, it will burst the plastic tube (don't ask how I know)
I have kept them in backpacks for years and they worked. Now if you ask if they were as bright as a new glo-stick I have no answer, except to say they put-out about 10 watts of light. I do not recommend you use them for cross country travel as your depth perception is zero with the light they provide, you could actually walk off a cliff!
Of course in cold weather they may not function at all due to reduced chem-reaction.
I would rather have a battery powered light, even a candle :cool:

They really aren't the best thing to stock-up on...

A person would have to look at the dates; over time, conduct tests....

Ten bucks for a pack of AAA "coppertops" that currently-claim to hold a charge till 2025.

Store them in the fridge.

OFADAN, you could always message me directly, as I've been away from this site for a long, long, time.
And BTW, thanks for the great Defensive Handgun class for my wife; if only I could keep her motivated to practice.

If I'm remembering correctly Cyalumes use a glass vial of hydrogen peroxide solution free-floating in the plastic housing holding a fluorescent solution. There are all kinds of variants now, including IR ones for the military, but they all depend on redox chemistry to activate and energize the dye.

It's that oxidizer inside the glass vial that's volatile, not the dye. So long as you keep it away from light, it should be stable indefinitely. Keeping it cool helps too of course, but I'd be most concerned about any UV (like fluorescent lights) reaching it. I guess that's why they package them in metal foil.

On some forum I read about a guy trying out some Cyalumes dated 1996, and he said there was no performance degradation compared to newly bought ones. I don't see why they shouldn't last, in principle anyway. And it's also true that heating them up accelerates the reaction and makes them brighter for a shorter time. Check out YouTube for all the reasons to not microwave them.

Fluorescence typically has a lifetime measured in nanoseconds, so the energy source has to be continually refreshed, like sunlight hitting Day-Glo paint to make it brighter in one color band. The oxidation reaction is the source of that energy in Cyalumes. But there's an alternative, called phosphorescence.

Phosphorescence has nothing to do with the element phosphorus; neither do the phosphors in CRT's. It's just an ancient way of saying, "Hey, this stuff keeps glowing and glowing and glowing...." In other words, it's like fluorescence, but with an extremely long decay time, due to the particulars of the molecular shape. Yes, the shape of the fluorescent species determines whether its excited states decay in nanoseconds or in hours. So if you can charge up a phosphorescent material by whatever mechanism, it can keep glowing for hours afterwards.

It used to be that ZnS was the standard for phosphorescent coatings, and it was used on every wristwatch and bedroom clock dial in the world. It's green, and not very bright. My new watch has an amazingly bright, long-lasting, blue glow to the hands, and it's due to a wholly new material: strontium aluminate. Unlike fluorescein and related fluorescent dyes you find in Cyalumes, it's a simple inorganic mineral that's extremely stable - just like ZnS. So guess what, now you can get a self-recharging light source that can be recycled basically forever:
https://www.uvpaqlite.com/
Heat, cold, cycling, extreme solar overexposure - nothing fazes it. But you can't switch it on or off on demand.

So I think Cyalumes still have a place in prepper-land, but I'd combine them with the UV Paqlite, and with solar-powered LED lights. You can get four self-recharging solar path lights for $10 at Harbor Freight; each one is self-contained, automatically charging, auto-on at dark, with one replaceable AA battery, and best of all an on/off switch.
http://www.harborfreight.com/solar-brushed-nickel-led-path-lights-2-piece-60755.html
(I got plastic ones, not brushed nickel.)

Cheers!

I have some that are about 15 years old. I tested one two weeks ago and it lit up just fine -- didn't expect that at all. They've been stored in cabinet in my garage in original packing with the foil intact.

I buy new in bulk every year for less than $1 each and give the old ones to the kids. Red, white and blue for the Fourth of July, high school colors for night games, orange for Halloween, red and green for Christmas.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top