JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello all,

It was brought to my attention today while hiking with my son that our concealed weapon permits no longer specifies weapons. What they say now is “State of Washington License to Carry Concealed Pistol”

I wondered about that a little bit.

Now I have been an honest a law abiding citizen all my life. Washington is my native home. I have two generations ahead of me and two generations behind me that are all Washington natives. And the two generations behind me also have indigenous Native Washington American blood.

And like most anybody my age, older and younger too. We have seen our freedoms taxed to no end and superficial laws slapped on us only because a few have broken the law.

Our politicians really have no purpose but to serve us. That is not the way it has been though. They think they need to tax us.

Well anyway back to my point.

It is getting harder and harder to be a law abiding citizen. Why? Well for one, I worked for a company that had strict policies about fire arms. Okay. I’m fine with that. I won’t pack any heat to defend myself on you property. But I do want to be able to defend myself.

My next option was the Tactical Tomahawk. It doesn’t go BANG and it is pretty effective if some hothead in traffic or lurking prowler places themselves in a threatening posture outside my vehicle. I want to defend myself.

My point is: I use to get a CWP and now it is a CPP. I have worked with a very large and well know corporation that gave me an education on semantics. Legal choices of words.

I have always believed in “Nipping it in the bud” I want my Weapons permit back and not a friggen Pistol permit. I want the rights back I had when I was young.

Well. This is just an FYI. Some of you are more articulate than I am and educated. And I would really respect you all if you passed this along in more articulate ways than I am use to. I even think the NRA should be aware of this. But all I can do is give you all a heads up if you don’t know. And further explanation it you think you know.

The original 'Concealed Weapons Permit' in Washington only allowed you to carry concealed handguns. Nothing about the law or what or how you are allowed to carry changed when they re-named the permit. They changed the name to reduce confusion. Many people believed a CWP allowed them to carry concealed rifles, shotguns, knives, swords, and other weapons that cannot be carried concealed legally in this state. It's always been a handgun-only permit, since the very beginning. The original name was misleading and they finally changed it. I, for one, am glad they did. The weapons laws in Washington are very simple and straightforward with virtually no wiggle-room for anyone on either side. (As they should be!) The name 'CWP' was the one and only misleading thing I'm aware of in Washington weapons law. The one thing that is wrong on the new license is that it says, "LICENSE TO CARRY CONCEALED PISTOL". Where legally it is a license to carry concealed handguns, whether pistol, revolver, or some other type. There is no legal limit to the number you may carry concealed at any given time. My personal record is six. :cool:

Huh, I didn't know it used to encompass all weapons in WA. It is a concealed HANDGUN license in OR, so same deal there. Can't CC an SBR. :(

you can't have an SBR or SB shotgun AT ALL in WA, not even with a Federal stamp!!

The "Trade Ratings" is low by 3!
Some people just don't post it I guess

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
WAC member
ACSWW member

The original 'Concealed Weapons Permit' in Washington only allowed you to carry concealed handguns. Nothing about the law or what or how you are allowed to carry changed when they re-named the permit. They changed the name to reduce confusion. Many people believed a CWP allowed them to carry concealed rifles, shotguns, knives, swords, and other weapons that cannot be carried concealed legally in this state. It's always been a handgun-only permit, since the very beginning. The original name was misleading and they finally changed it. I, for one, am glad they did. The weapons laws in Washington are very simple and straightforward with virtually no wiggle-room for anyone on either side. (As they should be!) The name 'CWP' was the one and only misleading thing I'm aware of in Washington weapons law. The one thing that is wrong on the new license is that it says, "LICENSE TO CARRY CONCEALED PISTOL". Where legally it is a license to carry concealed handguns, whether pistol, revolver, or some other type. There is no legal limit to the number you may carry concealed at any given time. My personal record is six. :cool:

A revolver is still a pistol so the nomenclature is correct.

Even a Draco pistol in 7.62X39 is a PISTOL.

On edit:
Here's the legal description of a pistol in WA
(13) "Pistol" means any firearm with a barrel less than sixteen inches in length, or is designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand.

Here's a link to the definition:
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.010

Here's a link to the whole section on Forearms and dangerous weapons:
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41

Huh, I didn't know it used to encompass all weapons in WA. It is a concealed HANDGUN license in OR, so same deal there. Can't CC an SBR. :(

Read ORS166.250 and then .260. That "handgun license" exempts you from all of 250 so... you be the judge. It appears to be a "handgun" license in name only.

Well last night I made a fool of myself in another thread,knowing the laws and contradicting them.

if you look at the handgun laws RCW 9.41.050: Carrying firearms.

Then you look at the next paragraph RCW 9.41.060: Exceptions to restrictions on carrying firearms.

You see that they are NOT straight forward. There is a ton of discrepancy in the reading of the laws. Many loop holes..

Heck if you are going hunting or camping,start your own gun collectors club,going to a shooting range,you can carry a loaded weapon the regular places.Concealed.

But for this thread the concealed weapons permit has,in theory or (I am at a loss here) function? intent? been a license to carry a pistol,not any other weapon.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top