JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Just wait till you get caught being waaaaay out in the woods alone shooting, and get in big twouble because some drone sees you. :rolleyes:

They did the same in China. UK playing copy cat.

'Course, if you have a shotgun...... moving target!

I saw that.. at times its just as bad as CNN with only a slightly more positive spin and defense of the Republican political position on the matter.
When it comes to the ticker on the side screen.. I truly think its unnecessary. As there is no way those numbers are 100% accurate. The media is never pinpoint accurate.
To me, its just simply been sensationalism. Typical doom and gloom doing no one any good. So many missed opportunities to teach people and give them new perspective at this time.

What I do enjoy seeing is entire families now taking walks, jogging, & walking their dogs much more lately. People talking on the phone with friends instead of texting. People checking in with distant family. Home projects finally getting done. THAT is the stuff I've really liked seeing firsthand and on the news. So for that alone Ive appreciated this panic. Its like people finally unplugged and started to live life and spend time with their family.

Some things to like, and some to dislike. Thanks for the perspective!

I really don't see those tickers, the sideboxes just don't even register. Buy there's always Glenn Beck... he gives the stats at the beginning of each show... I'm not sure if I should be scared or reassured, the stats don't seem to mean anything. I tried to compare with other epidemics, then they come along and say that doesn't work for this thing. <sigh> I'll just go back to being skeptical and biding my time while trying to be prudent about the whole thing.

Some things to like, and some to dislike. Thanks for the perspective!

I really don't see those tickers, the sideboxes just don't even register. Buy there's always Glenn Beck... he gives the stats at the beginning of each show... I'm not sure if I should be scared or reassured, the stats don't seem to mean anything. I tried to compare with other epidemics, then they come along and say that doesn't work for this thing. <sigh> I'll just go back to being skeptical and biding my time while trying to be prudent about the whole thing.
Same here. Doom and gloom just burns me out after a while. And since this darn ammo/gun panic is killing all the good deals I figured instead of hoarding Ill make use of some of what Ive got stashed away. Otherwise without a range trip Sunday turns into a house chore day.

Shooting > Chores :)

Hahah well some gun stuff is better than no gun stuff. Best of luck in the dishwasher battle!

They called and told me the repair kit is in... sigh, I had to buy a whole kit, couldn't just purchase the one part I need. $72. But it will be worth since my back really doesn't like bending over a sink.

They called and told me the repair kit is in... sigh, I had to buy a whole kit, couldn't just purchase the one part I need. $72. But it will be worth since my back really doesn't like bending over a sink.
Funny how it seems to always workout like that. $5 part.. rare as hens teeth. $72 kit.. as common as 12g :confused:

My gun club is open to healthy members with enforced social distancing. Members who have any symptoms of an illness are urged to remain at home. I'm doing as much reloading and adjusting that I can do at home before planning a range day.

I am keeping busy with enough indoor gun projects that I don't feel I need to go to the range though I feel fortunate that I can go if I choose to. I'm choosing to stay at home unless getting essentials which is the best way to keep the infection risk as low as possible. Every day reducing risk works in our favor.

It's a good time to get caught up on research, shopping, and trying new things. Gun videos on youtube for instance.
I learned how to find my lands with an accurate, repeatable method from Wheeler Accuracy. This led to new dummy rounds which represent the Cartridge Overall Length (COAL) and Cartridge Base to Ogive (CBTO) for a particular bullet. These allow me to quickly re-adjust my seating dies accurately. I found that the other methods for measuring distance to the lands tend to have bullets jammed more into the lands and the slightest bit of jam can be felt using the Wheeler Accuracy method. Took me awhile but I got the hang of it.

I'm not ready to reorganize my loading bench yet but that is the kind of project that can keep you busy and engaged while staying safe. I do really need to find a better way to organize powder, bullets & brass though. Next it will be dies. I'm sensing a slippery slope into OCD mania...

BB & Pellet trap shooting does give one a little trigger time.

Here are some thoughts about going shooting in the woods right now...

This is a good link to save and reference, regarding Mt Hood Nat Forest. Gives info on what's going on throughout the forest. @sava6e posted it in the 36 pit thread.

Mt. Hood National Forest - Alerts & Notices

Click on the link that says ALL Forest Recreation Sites CLOSED and it describes what's closed.... "all Mt. Hood National Forest campgrounds, day-use sites, trailheads, Sno-Parks, cabin rentals and other developed recreation sites will be temporarily closed." Key work here being 'developed'. Dispersed shooting sites are not developed recreation sites. Neither is the 36 pit or any other pit in Mt Hood Nat Forest.

Some things to consider about going out during this time... (not just in Mt Hood Nat Forest, but all state & fed lands).
  • If you should need emergency service, First Responders are few and far between or flat out not available.
  • There won't even be regular foresters or rangers out and about.
  • Law Enforcement has more priority needs elsewhere and I don't expect them to do normal patrols (which means there most likely won't be any security out there).
  • No, to limited, cell phone signals.
  • If you have an emergency... well, we wish you well and hope you make it. If your emergency requires hospitalization, won't you feel bad that you are taking up a bed that someone else really needs? (Same if a vehicle accident on the way to & from).

Be safe, pack extra emergency stuff, don't go it alone and watch your back, if you go out.

Here are some thoughts about going shooting in the woods right now...

This is a good link to save and reference, regarding Mt Hood Nat Forest. Gives info on what's going on throughout the forest. @sava6e posted it in the 36 pit thread.

Mt. Hood National Forest - Alerts & Notices

Click on the link that says ALL Forest Recreation Sites CLOSED and it describes what's closed.... "all Mt. Hood National Forest campgrounds, day-use sites, trailheads, Sno-Parks, cabin rentals and other developed recreation sites will be temporarily closed." Key work here being 'developed'. Dispersed shooting sites are not developed recreation sites. Neither is the 36 pit or any other pit in Mt Hood Nat Forest.

Some things to consider about going out during this time... (not just in Mt Hood Nat Forest, but all state & fed lands).
  • If you should need emergency service, First Responders are few and far between or flat out not available.
  • There won't even be regular foresters or rangers out and about.
  • Law Enforcement has more priority needs elsewhere and I don't expect them to do normal patrols (which means there most likely won't be any security out there).
  • No, to limited, cell phone signals.
  • If you have an emergency... well, we wish you well and hope you make it. If your emergency requires hospitalization, won't you feel bad that you are taking up a bed that someone else really needs? (Same if a vehicle accident on the way to & from).

Be safe, pack extra emergency stuff, don't go it alone and watch your back, if you go out.

So with some of this above, sounds like LEO are all just sitting around and won't respond to calls unless it's a catastrophic outbreak of corona virus? Or, a strictly life threatening issue? Have they sent our men in blue home because of the virus so there's no one to respond to the regular daily needs of the public they have sworn to serve? I'm not trying to be snarky, really. I'm just wondering if I call 911 no one will answer because they've all been ordered to "shelter in place". Or if someone does answer they just tell you "Tuff Beans"?

Where Jane works they already have problems with police responding quickly for situations that are bordering on being/turning dangerous. I mean, THIS city, potland, already doesn't have near the LEO manpower needed for a city this size due to gross miss-management of the last three mayor's/city council's.

So with some of this above, sounds like LEO are all just sitting around and won't respond to calls unless it's a catastrophic outbreak of corona virus? Or, a strictly life threatening issue? Have they sent our men in blue home because of the virus so there's no one to respond to the regular daily needs of the public they have sworn to serve? I'm not trying to be snarky, really. I'm just wondering if I call 911 no one will answer because they've all been ordered to "shelter in place". Or if someone does answer they just tell you "Tuff Beans"?

Where Jane works they already have problems with police responding quickly for situations that are bordering on being/turning dangerous. I mean, THIS city, potland, already doesn't have near the LEO manpower needed for a city this size due to gross miss-management of the last three mayor's/city council's.
Not sure how what their plan is, but I imagine they want LE to be available for serious city needs and not be far out in the woods patrolling for idiots doing stupid stuff. I haven't heard of what crimes are happening in the city, but I bet it has ramped up lately and, like you say, there's not enough enforcement to deal with the city stuff.

I'd hate to be out there and suddenly need the kind of help that pulls them away from something seriously needed elsewhere.

Per multiple posts and articles here, you should not expect a police responce in oregon or seattle unless you are being activly murdered.

They are still respinding as of last week in Vancouver

Per multiple posts and articles here, you should not expect a police responce in oregon or seattle unless you are being activly murdered.

They are still respinding as of last week in Vancouver

Yeah, I get that. That's become somewhat the norm in potland. Like I said. My question was are all the responders at home? Not expecting you to have the answers, just repeating the question.

Some showed me a video of a county jail break in Washington within the last few days. They jumped the fence and ran out into the street. The cops/guards ran to the fence and stopped. I was told the majority were caught. Not sure what group got out. Unpaid tickets or killers.

If society breaks down from this, we will all get to shoot from home!

Kidding, sort of.

So today I pondered the question while up in my 'owner of public lands" national forest". If I send out some rounds and no one is around, does it make a sound? The highway signs say "stay home, save lives" but if you are already on the highway, shouldn't the sign say " Go Home, save lives? Sorry, I did get within 12 feet of one guy the entire trip...he passed me on the forest service road in his truck...me in my car. It worked out great because I try not to shoot in " developed" parts of our publicly owned National Forest and BLM properties. Check out a map of our lands in Oregon...you will have no problem finding a place to shoot.

The virus is certainly a worry. Whats just as worrisome, if not more so is the economic damage already inflicted, and that yet to come.

As for those who want to get out of their house and enjoy nature - we don't need hall monitors, we don't need forest rangers, and we don't need the already minimal law enforcement presence out in the woods. There are literally millions of acres of publicly owned land that are free from people, that don't get rangers, cops, or hardly any human contact that have effectively been shut down. Its a power grab, that's all it is. Just like the states that have shut down *fishing* - another activity that allows for solitude and "social distance" while allowing someone to maintain their sanity. There's not going to be hordes of corona-zombies out there.

There's also far less traffic on the roads, your chances of getting into a wreck are lower now than they are before the panic.

This virus is a god send of the power mad - we're already seeing how they try to twist it to impose their will on others, coming up with rules and regulations that won't do jack to stop the spread of the virus but certainly benefit those in power. Closing down nature is one such thing.

OP's opinion of what is "wasteful" is just that - its your opinion, not a fact. Someone else may well "need" to get out and shoot, to alieviate the stress of being out of work, or cooped up at home, or maybe they just bought or built a defensive arm and need to ensure that it works and that it's properly sighted in. Live your life how you want but don't try to be a hall monitor and force others to be stuck indoors.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top