JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Have you gone out to shoot in the forest Or is your range still open?

As of Thurs, Mar 26th:
I know all Washington State DNR managed public lands are closed to all recreation and Oregon State lands are still open but closed to campgrounds and facilities. Federal lands are also open but closing campgrounds and facilities. It means you can't go out to the state lands in Washington but can go to state and fed lands in Oregon.

I hear many shooting ranges are closed in Washington State but haven't heard what those in Oregon are doing.

So, did you get out recently? Was it your range or state/fed land? Any crazyness happening there?

(Side note: WA Fish & Wildlife closed fishing and clamming (not sure about hunting). Anyone know about Oregon?)

People are getting sick and the number of deaths are growing, hospitals are being over run and facing dwindling protection gear for the front line people, people are out of work with no source of income and many businesses will probably not be able to reopen even when things come back to normal... and people are worried about where to shoot, the cost and availability of ammunition and the ending of civilized society and complete chaos (the people that believe this are the ones I really find on the bottom end of the IQ chain) and takeover by armed gangs.

I know for some, shooting up thousands of rounds of ammunition is the only thing in life that you know and you are oblivious to everything else around you (or could care less about how anyone else is doing) but there is really something wrong with people's priorities some time.

People talk about how virus free the outdoors is, but many of you are forgetting that much of that outdoors no longer have the support agencies available that work so hard to maintain them so that we can enjoy them and patrol the areas so that those that are out there are safe and as few of the destructive idiots that also share those out doors do not destroy everything. That has to do with why they are closing a lot of the areas, not because they feel that people will catch the virus when they are the only one in the woods.

No, it doesn't make sense why they close some places, but common sense says that it is easier to close a large area than it is to close some parts and leave other parts within that area open. Right now and for some time to come, taking the easy way is going to be a way of life.

I know some of you get it, but it seems like so many haven't a clue of what is going on and how it's affecting people and lives and being able to go out and waste ammo is way down on the priority list of things that would be on any essential to-do list.

Mike

People are getting sick and the number of deaths are growing, hospitals are being over run and facing dwindling protection gear for the front line people, people are out of work with no source of income and many businesses will probably not be able to reopen even when things come back to normal... and people are worried about where to shoot, the cost and availability of ammunition and the ending of civilized society and complete chaos (the people that believe this are the ones I really find on the bottom end of the IQ chain) and takeover by armed gangs.

I know for some, shooting up thousands of rounds of ammunition is the only thing in life that you know and you are oblivious to everything else around you (or could care less about how anyone else is doing) but there is really something wrong with people's priorities some time.

People talk about how virus free the outdoors is, but many of you are forgetting that much of that outdoors no longer have the support agencies available that work so hard to maintain them so that we can enjoy them and patrol the areas so that those that are out there are safe and as few of the destructive idiots that also share those out doors do not destroy everything. That has to do with why they are closing a lot of the areas, not because they feel that people will catch the virus when they are the only one in the woods.

No, it doesn't make sense why they close some places, but common sense says that it is easier to close a large area than it is to close some parts and leave other parts within that area open. Right now and for some time to come, taking the easy way is going to be a way of life.

I know some of you get it, but it seems like so many haven't a clue of what is going on and how it's affecting people and lives and being able to go out and waste ammo is way down on the priority list of things that would be on any essential to-do list.

Mike
Damn right Mike, shooting is way down on the priority list, but after being inundated with nothing but "People are getting sick and the number of deaths are growing, hospitals are being over run and facing dwindling protection gear for the front line people, people are out of work with no source of income and many businesses will probably not be able to reopen even when things come back to normal...", some folks may need some kind of relief and an opportunity to get away from it all. Even if it's just for a few hours.

So, many turn to target shooting because it's what they like and know. I think it's important to keep up and informed of what and where places are open to shoot. This thread is an opportunity to share that info.

Don't think for a moment, that we are not concerned or aware of the severity of the situation at hand. But when it all gets to be too much and overwhelming, folks gotta find some relief. That might mean blasting off a thousand rounds or simply a couple mags.

So don't think that sharing info about places open to shooting is a careless attitude. We're just sharing, in case someone wants to go.

Bill

Big ole ODOT sign on Highway 26 westbound reads:

STAY INSIDE - SAVE LIVES

Two of my neighbors were out blasting away in there back yards today while I was washing my truck. Thought about walking over to the closet and asking if I could join in. I have a couple new to me rifles I need to sight in.

I have been doing a lot of dry fire at home.

Their are some spots way out in national forest land I might check out.

Nervous to leave the wife and kid home along for long right now anyway....

My backyard is going to get real noisy when my bullet trap gets done. Yes, it's legal where I'm at, just slightly rude as my neighbors are very quiet and only about 100yards either direction, except the open field on one side. That's why I'm waiting, and waiting, and waiting on my two suppressors. Maybe the atf will speed things up with all the lack of distractions, LOL.

I know, right!! 'Murica! Pass the ammo! :D

I was pretty tired of sitting around inside so I dug out my target berm and extended it about 10 feet wider to add some steel plates that have been sitting around for a year or so. Because that's the priority when I've been concerned with other priorities for too many days on end.

P.S. Virtue signaling is so pre-Wuhan Flu, bro.

[...]

Since it would appear that the entire argument against practice / training / target shooting / "wasting ammo" is justified (twice) by the idea that it's a "low priority," please enlighten people as to what priorities should rank so much higher for everyone that not one person should be out there shooting?

If you supply the "essential to-do list," perhaps someone may realize something they've forgotten to do and head back from the range.

Edit: as an addendum, if you want to shoot apparently you can do it in Seattle: Rantz: Seattle crime 'free for all' as cops can't book most suspects over coronavirus
Examples of crimes that won't be booked include shoplifting, property damage under $750, animal abuse, discharging a firearm, prohibited carry of a weapon, obstructing a law enforcement officer, trespassing, and vehicle prowling.

Clark Rifles and Vancouver Rifle and pistol ranges are closed. Wife and I cooped up needed some place to go. Nothing wrong
with taking a break from this Covid-19 crap. Picnic out in the woods got out today to a club I belong to in Stevenson. We had
the whole place to ourselves one day last week and for most of the day today.;)
1585289549180.png

Mike
Well, we have to live our lives. I appreciate and respect your perspective. This situation we are in affects everyone differently and people do what they do depending on their abilities, their circumstances and their outlook on things.
Some will go shooting, some will embrace the unexpected quality time with their families and some will just be indifferent.
Keep in mind that this forum is about all things that go bang. There's other forums that support the folks who like to crochet, make apple pies, put bumper stickers on the back of their Subaru's. That's ok too. In the big scheme of things, water seeks it's own level.
But on this website we are inclined to talk about things, current events and how we relate to things with our 2A goggles on. Peace my friend.

My backyard is going to get real noisy when my bullet trap gets done. Yes, it's legal where I'm at, just slightly rude as my neighbors are very quiet and only about 100yards either direction, except the open field on one side. That's why I'm waiting, and waiting, and waiting on my two suppressors. Maybe the atf will speed things up with all the lack of distractions, LOL.
Would be great to see the finished bullet trap.

Obtaining and owning suppressors would sure make things a whole heck of a lot better. I suspect those who complain about shooting in rural areas or the woods or an outdoor range simply hate the noise part, (or at least noise is a significant part of their complaint). If the noise were cut down I don't think we would see as much opposition to target shooting.

Certainly, we'll always get those complaints that "they are messy", "bullets flying over our heads on the trail". Some of that may be true and some fabricated, but at least suppressors would really help quiet down a lot of those loud complainers.

There are places in Oregon off the beaten path to shoot on public land, that you go from your door in your car to said location, shoot alone and drive back home. Ive done it many times for years without any social contact and don't see a problem.

Going to the store, going to work, being around people is much more of a real threat. Actual contact with people.

Mike

:s0004::s0013::s0146::s0161:

Feel better now???

As for me, I've put all the Covid threads and new shooter threads on "ignore thread". Every tiny bit of information/rumor/misinformation has been bandied about endlessly (and argued over :(:(:(). I'm completely burned out on it. It's not that I don't care, it's just that I don't need to be beat up about it every minute of every day.

Thanx for bringing it to the Outdoor Shooting Areas forum room. :(

Please don't misunderstand, I firmly believe you have the unmitigated right to write what you think. I've just been bummed out enough already.

Peace,

Out

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR