JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'll see if I can find something on one of my other machines - I had some sites bookmarked when I went on my Pelican case buying spree, but not sure if I still have them. If I do I'll post 'em up for you.

A break off utility type knife works half way decent. Electric carving knife also half way decent. You can buy a hot wire cutter at the hobby shop - haven't tried this myself. My advice is to get some spare foam and practice on it first.

Electric fish cutter or if you want something a little more cleaner you can try these guys:

<broken link removed>

I've only had a few email conversations and haven't tried the product or gotten a price. They will send you the tracing paper with inner dimensions outlined if they don't have your particular firearm foam available.

Last Edited:
Problem I have is that I never know what guns I am going to be putting in the cases. I only use them for transport to and from places. Replacement foam is priced crazy.

I did cut out 1 of my 4 1750 cases to fit one of my target rifles. I used a electric carving knife (about $10 at WM) and it went very smooth.

Another place you can try is a custom auto upholstery shop. They work with custom foam rubber all the time, and cut it into intricate shapes for hot rod interiors, etc. A gun case should be a cake walk for them.

I am a custom car upholsterer. I have a professional Bosch foam cutter. It is not a cheap tool by any stretch. It works very well for cutting, shaping and sculpting foam. In order to make a fitted, three dimensional insert I would want to build the thickness up with 1" foam. That way you can get the correct depth for each piece being stored in the case. Foam adhesives are excellent. The end result is one piece of foam. I often build seats that are 5" thick in places with 1" foam glued together using foam specific adhesives. There is a company out in Hillsboro that has a CNC machine that specializes in cutting foam for fitted tool cases. I think they would be an excellent place to call if you want it to be perfect lines and such. Their name escapes me right now though.

Can I ask about what you would charge to fit a rifle into a foam case for a customer, like we're talking about?

Well, this isn't my normal day-to-day thing. So... I think I'd do the first one for very little to get a feel for how to price it. In this economy adding a little diversity to what I do in my shop would be a very good thing. I'm very willing to look in to it if it is something people would want.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top