Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Cutting down a shotgun barrel and stock legally?

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by james83, Jul 18, 2013.

1. james83

james83 beaverton oregon I'am feeling fat and sassy

I have an old 16 gauge double barrel I bought recently and due to getting a large phonebill I was not expecting I have put it back up for sale.

Anyways if it doesnt sell between now and my next paycheck im just going to keep the gun, The barrels have already been cut down to 24'' but im thinking of cutting them down to 20'' or maybe 18.5''

Now i know the legal minimum lenght for a shotgun barrel is 18.5'' (before tax stamps become involved)
    But i was told by a buddy today that the legal overall lenght stock to muzzle can be 26''

This got me thinking could i legally cut the barrels to say 20'' and saw the stock off into a pistolgrip as long as the overall lenght is 26'' ?

Is it legal to saw down a stock into a pistolgrip at home?

Im just curious as to how short i could cutdown the gun before it becomes NFA item

ZS27 likes this.
  2. Velzey

Velzey Estacada, Oregon Gunsmith Gunsmith Bronze Vendor Bronze Supporter

Yep dont go under 26" overall! If its a pistol grip the barrel may need to be 19, 20, 22" whatever makes the overall down to 26" or a wee longer.

And yes, you can make your own pistol grip! No worries!!

james83 and (deleted member) like this.
  3. james83

Thanks for the reply, I measured and marked were i would like to cut the barrels and from muzzle to breech face it gives me a lenght of 20'' (for the barrels)

I was thinking of cutting the stock flush with where the stock bolt ends so the stock would be slightly longer than a (pistol grip) but it would give me an overall lenght of 29''

Im not 100% sure im actually going to cut the shotgun down but it seems like a fun project. I just want to make sure its legal and overall the lenght does not bring me into NFA catagory

4. ch139

ch139 teh gehtoe Active Member

The above numbers are correct... to stay out of NFA territory the barrel(s) need to be at least 18-inches and the overall length needs to be at least 26-inches.

Now on cutting the stock to a pistol-grip only... if you're going for the ultimate coolness of a Mad Max sawed off double, thats one thing; it will be completely useless and a tad spendy, but cool as sheet! Pistol-grip only on shotguns is one of the most useless and wasteful things going; the above SBS would at least be super cool, but nonetheless useless. A pistol-grip with 20-inch barrels is really kinda silly. You might want to re-think cutting the stock; cutting the barrels to 20-inches would be awesome, but leave the stock on there.

Dyjital, orygun, Nwcid and 5 others like this.
  5. Skang

Skang WA Well-Known Member

just get one of these if you want the coolness.

s23e6r82bu01.jpg

james83 and (deleted member) like this.
  6. oknow

oknow amboy wa. Well-Known Member

one thing to consider before you cut the barrel. when you cut the length you lose velocity. in other words you castrate the shot gun

7. james83

Hi, Thanks to everyone for the replys, I went ahead and cut the barrels down to 20.5'' and cut most of the stock off flush with the stockbolt gives me an overall lenght of 29.5'' used a dropsaw on the barrels so i got a nice clean and straight cut, de-burred the muzzle then filled the gap with epoxy and applied tool black/bluing to the bare metal at the muzzle, stock i just hacksawed off and wrapped with ductape, didnt bother to put the bead back on the barrel but i might at a later date if i get bored enough.

I completly agree with the pistolgrip being useless on a shotgun had one on an 870 and couldnt hit a damn thing with and it busted up my wrist real good, This gun is pretty much just for looks i've always wanted a sawn-off ever since watching madmax as a kid!

heres a couple of pictures

002_zps08d655fe.jpg
    001_zpsaae094f9.jpg

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  8. Skang

Skang WA Well-Known Member

haha, you need to cut the stock (grip) like this,

REM870BirdsHeadGrip001.jpg

Fiorina, Dyjital, james83 and 2 others like this.
  9. james83

Thats a nice looking 870! did you cut that one down yourself Skang?
    I decided to cut down the stock on my double barrel more to make it more into a birdshead pistolgrip shape, I still got an overall lenght of 28''
    Obviously my stock bolt is now way too long, did you cut your stock bolt down or just find a shorter bolt that fits?