JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have done tons of fabricating, milling, you name it, but threading (not with a tap and die set) was always voodoo to me. Well for christmas my wife got me a 7x16 lathe and I cut my first thread tonight.

I feel like a "real" machinist, lol.

Micromark 7x16, its basically the cadillac of the chinese lathes, I looked for close to two years for an older american lathe that wasn't ragged out but every one that I came across they either wanted new lathe prices, or it was in need of serious refurbing.

Super sweet! I did some barrel fluting when I was a kid on my dads Bridgeport mill. He set it up, but I loved doing that stuff back then!Enjoy! post some pics!

They used to teach that in High School metal shop back when schools still had industrial arts. I wish I had some of the machines we used they probably sold them off cheap years ago.

lol its just a barrel thread protector. I have been learning how to cut my own tooling out of tool steel which is pretty cool cuz its only $8 a foot for 3/8 tool steel. I wish I had the metal lathe that my grandfather had but he died when I was a kid and no one in the family would help me move it. I think it was an early 1900's Hendey. Went to the scrap yard :( . I learned on that lathe but he never taught me thread cutting.

Good job, how did you check it? Mating part or measure over 3wires?
If you really want to tinker cut a multiple lead thread... Then a nut to go on it.
(It's actually pretty simple to do, they just look cool)
These aren't mine but here is an example.
09d54356872e90313c7b23824058a129_zps1c963e80.jpg

I just checked it on my barrel and it fit pretty well, a little tighter than I would like but it threaded all the way on.

those do look pretty cool BTW. Do you just start on a differnt point at the thread dial?

Yep just pick the 1/3 2/4 on the dial and away you go. Multi lead acme are fun, small cuts and lots of oil, makes nice threads.

I picked this lathe up a few years ago! Complete with a taper attachement.

I did an internal left hand acme with a hand ground tool that was fun. I have 2 cnc lathes at my disposal now makes threading so much easier and faster. Its like cheating

For the multi start threads I always ran my compound parallel to the z. When I learned I did a 4 start thread, machine was set to 10tpi, I cut a couple passes with the compound at 0, moved the compound .025 ( 1/10=.1, divide that by 4, #of starts) take a couple of passes then move the compound to .05, .075 then .100. Then start all over at 0.

I haven't cut threads on a manual lathe for 5 or 6 years. I have cnc's to do my work now.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top