Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Cut my first thread on a lathe

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by idahoan, Feb 19, 2014.

1. idahoan

idahoan Boise, Idaho Active Member

I have done tons of fabricating, milling, you name it, but threading (not with a tap and die set) was always voodoo to me. Well for christmas my wife got me a 7x16 lathe and I cut my first thread tonight.

I feel like a "real" machinist, lol.

2. rick benjamin

rick benjamin USA, Or, Damascus Secure the drama Silver Supporter 2016 Volunteer

Hidyhoahan,
    Good work!

3. robertg

robertg Sandy Oregon Silver Supporter Silver Supporter 2016 Volunteer

What kind of lathe is it?

4. idahoan

Micromark 7x16, its basically the cadillac of the chinese lathes, I looked for close to two years for an older american lathe that wasn't ragged out but every one that I came across they either wanted new lathe prices, or it was in need of serious refurbing.

5. bellarum

bellarum beaverton Well-Known Member

Super sweet! I did some barrel fluting when I was a kid on my dads Bridgeport mill. He set it up, but I loved doing that stuff back then!Enjoy! post some pics!

6. robertg

robertg Sandy Oregon Silver Supporter Silver Supporter 2016 Volunteer

Nice, look for used tooling, you can save some money that way.
    Have fun.

7. deadeye

deadeye Albany,OR. Moderator Staff Member

They used to teach that in High School metal shop back when schools still had industrial arts. I wish I had some of the machines we used they probably sold them off cheap years ago.

8. idahoan

lol its just a barrel thread protector. I have been learning how to cut my own tooling out of tool steel which is pretty cool cuz its only $8 a foot for 3/8 tool steel. I wish I had the metal lathe that my grandfather had but he died when I was a kid and no one in the family would help me move it. I think it was an early 1900's Hendey. Went to the scrap yard :( . I learned on that lathe but he never taught me thread cutting.

9. Nickb

Nickb Moxee Active Member

Good job, how did you check it? Mating part or measure over 3wires?
    If you really want to tinker cut a multiple lead thread... Then a nut to go on it.
    (It's actually pretty simple to do, they just look cool)
    These aren't mine but here is an example.
    09d54356872e90313c7b23824058a129_zps1c963e80.jpg

10. idahoan

I just checked it on my barrel and it fit pretty well, a little tighter than I would like but it threaded all the way on.

those do look pretty cool BTW. Do you just start on a differnt point at the thread dial?

11. Velzey

Velzey Estacada, Oregon Gunsmith Gunsmith Bronze Vendor Bronze Supporter

Yep just pick the 1/3 2/4 on the dial and away you go. Multi lead acme are fun, small cuts and lots of oil, makes nice threads.

I picked this lathe up a few years ago! Complete with a taper attachement.

12. 1990Turbo

1990Turbo St.Helens Active Member

I did an internal left hand acme with a hand ground tool that was fun. I have 2 cnc lathes at my disposal now makes threading so much easier and faster. Its like cheating

13. Martini_Up

Martini_Up NW USA Well-Known Member

I miss metal shop - welding, forge, lathe, press, etc.... small wonder we have become a service society with free-falling debt. Schools no longer teach anything worth anything!

14. Nickb

Nickb Moxee Active Member

For the multi start threads I always ran my compound parallel to the z. When I learned I did a 4 start thread, machine was set to 10tpi, I cut a couple passes with the compound at 0, moved the compound .025 ( 1/10=.1, divide that by 4, #of starts) take a couple of passes then move the compound to .05, .075 then .100. Then start all over at 0.

I haven't cut threads on a manual lathe for 5 or 6 years. I have cnc's to do my work now.

15. CounterOfBeans

CounterOfBeans northwest Active Member

Nice stuff guys. Wish I had the equipment to play in that sandbox. I'll just live vicariously through you for now.

skydiver and (deleted member) like this.
  16. idahoan

Oh thats a very nice lathe Velzey here is a pic of the one I have 84631_R.jpg

84631_R.jpg