JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am looking to have some custom work done to my Solo. Specifically, I would like to have the milled sight channels filled to be flush with the rest of the slide, then have the slide refinished in a color similar to the original finish or possibly entirely different(not sure about color yet). The reason I would like to do this is to give the gun a sleeker/one of a kind look. I have laser grips on it, so I don't find the sights necessary. If the laser were to fail at a critical moment, I would just use the "point shoot" technique anyway. Can this be done relatively inexpensively? Can anyone recommend a gunsmith for the job? Is this a bad idea, and why?

I am looking to have some custom work done to my Solo. Specifically, I would like to have the milled sight channels filled to be flush with the rest of the slide, then have the slide refinished in a color similar to the original finish or possibly entirely different(not sure about color yet). The reason I would like to do this is to give the gun a sleeker/one of a kind look. I have laser grips on it, so I don't find the sights necessary. If the laser were to fail at a critical moment, I would just use the "point shoot" technique anyway. Can this be done relatively inexpensively? Can anyone recommend a gunsmith for the job? Is this a bad idea, and why?

Define "inexpensively". The cost to refinish the gun is what's going to cost you, also you have to make sure you're going to fill with a material, that is going to take color and retain it the same as the parent medal of the slide. How well it takes and retains the finish is also going to be a determining factor of how you refinish it. Is it the blued or the stainless version? My guess is you're looking at maybe half to a third of the cost of the gun to get it done, but it's a WAG.

Define "inexpensively". The cost to refinish the gun is what's going to cost you, also you have to make sure you're going to fill with a material, that is going to take color and retain it the same as the parent medal of the slide. How well it takes and retains the finish is also going to be a determining factor of how you refinish it. Is it the blued or the stainless version? My guess is you're looking at maybe half to a third of the cost of the gun to get it done, but it's a WAG.

It is the STS model. I could have the slide finished in Cerakote for under $100 I believe. Under $200 for the total job would be nice, but I have no idea what the fab work costs. If it's too much, I just won't bother.

To fill in the empty dovetail slots, it could be done nicely with a tig welder. And then blend by hand with a file and soft wheel. I have done something similar to a 1911, and it took me about 3 hours to make it look flawless.

Yeah, it's not likely to get it filled and refinished for less than $200. $300 is more likely. Lots of hand work. Most decent gunsmiths charge between $40 and $60 an hour for labor. It's at least two to three hours. I understand your idea, definitely interesting.

If you came into my shop (back when I had one or when I have one again within the year), I would do everything possible to talk you out of eliminating the sights. I'd talk about maybe finding some lower profile sights, but I would honestly question what a DA would say if you ever had to use the gun for defense. Perhaps even suggest if you did fill the sights in, perhaps cut a gutter sight, ala Colt New Agent style...

On a techincal note, the filler material wouldn't be quite as critical (as long as the heat was controlled, i.e. TIG). There is very little chance of getting filler rod that won't show under bluing, so you're best off just going with Cerakote or a similar product.

Good luck, it will be interesting to see when its finished...

You could try contacting Kimber and ask if they would sell you a new slide without the sight channels.
Then you would also have the original.

Thanks for the replies guys. I will need to think about it some more before taking action. I didn't think about the legal ramifications as MountainBear suggested; and jbett98, I like the idea of having an extra slide. If I do decide on proceeding, I think that would be the way to go (assuming Kimber would agree to sell it to me).

If you like the look, I'd say go ahead and do it. I especially like the gutter-site idea, if you go that way. I picked up a new Solo before Christmas, the two-tone, even though I like all black for carry guns.

Before I'd even shot it, I removed the sights and gutted the slide, then got out the files and gently melted the sharp corners, especially around the front. Then I sent it off to Gunfixx at Northwest Firearms Refinishing (sponsor on this site) and had it Ceracoated black to match the frame. A week later it was back and after an hour re-assembling it, I had my all-black Solo. Perfect. Now I hear Kimber is coming out with a black one....

Before I'd even shot it, I removed the sights and gutted the slide, then got out the files and gently melted the sharp corners, especially around the front. Then I sent it off to Gunfixx at Northwest Firearms Refinishing (sponsor on this site) and had it Ceracoated black to match the frame.

Do you have pics of your work? I'd like to see how it turned out.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top