JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ever met a guy and said; "hey... he is all right in my book"

Well, if you ever get a chance to meet Mike or Tedd of Custom Firearm Stands, you will... well at least I did.

I met Mike a few gun shows ago and was asking question about his products and what they can do and can't do (which is next to nothing). I had a problem in my gun safe with my two shelves sagging from the weight. My pistols were alway falling over and I couldn't afford to sacrifice more space to a bunch of pistols racks. Well, Mike suggested a custom shelf with his pistol racks built into the shelf. What an AWESOME idea that turned out to be. As I was cleaning out the shelves I found stuff I thought I had lost and saw how much weight my old shelves were holding.

The old shelves were most likely press board wrapped in the felt like material from the safe company to match the interior. One of the shelves had some cuts in them, from the factory making it almost impractical to do its job as a shelf. Mike finally arrived with the new shelves (mind you he took measurements from after the Puyallup gunshow) and help me install them. Good God were they heavy but beautiful. I wished I had taken a before pic (sorry Mike I should have thought of that sooner) because I broke out the camera and took my after pics. I am emailing them to Mike to let him post. I did take pics of the old shelves laying on the ground to show how they are bowed (ruined in my opinion) forever... HA! Stupid OEM shelves from the safe factory.

Mike and I found out that the material he used (1.25" thick) was overkill. He could have gotten away with .75" or even .5" thickness and still had the same results. Paper stone is some really good material. Not cheap but, well worth its price for the quality you get.

I would highly recommend Custom Firearm Stands for any project. By the way, the AR-15 stand you made for me doesn't sit in the house, I use as my stand for cleaning. Break Free and the other cleaning fluids doesn't even leave a residue on the Paper Stone. Heck if I could afford it I would have my work bench redone in that stuff.

SF-

While I can't show all of my tricks, I can tell you that the handgun racks are modular, meaning they can be moved around, removed completely and even replaced with mag blocks, etc. as Silver Fox desires.

I will admit that 1-1/4" is WAY overkill but it was better than making the shelves too thin. Since this was the first one we've done, I wanted to make the set up darn near indestructible. I believe we have accomplished that goal. I'm quite positive, we could have used material as thin as 3/4" and still had no sagging but, we had some of this stuff at the shop and it seemed well suited for the project at hand.

SF is a great guy, very trusting to let us try this out on his very nice safe, and even nicer collection! Additionally, inviting me to his home was great so I could take measurements and fit the shelves EXACTLY. They went in nice and tight with NO slop!

As requested, I have resized and hosted a few pictures for SF.

SF- You said you'd leave "positive comments on NWFA", but I had NO IDEA it would be in this form!

Thank you for the support and we can't wait to do more of these types of projects!

Mike

The warped stock shelves:

After installing new shelves and beginning organization:

New shelves look like they were made for the safe.... As a matter of fact.... :D

A little bonus picture that makes me even more jealous!

The only weakness I see now is the support pegs. Did you replace the stock ones with poished titanium pegs? :D

Looks great.

Pops

Pops,

Not yet, we may just have to replace them in the future. If for no other reason than to just do so! :D

Seriously though, the standard pegs are a great, triangulated design that appear to be extremely strong. We are going to contact the safe company to see if they have an upgrade for the fasteners. Like everything, time is the enemy, especially if it has load bearing responsibilities.

I'm VERY happy with the way it came out and I look forward to doing more projects like this. :s0155:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top