JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Some times when I'm out shooting (or watching videos of people shooting) I see folks with fancy, multicolored custom earplugs. Anyone have details on these? Best manufacturer, price, first-hand reviews? The foam ones are ok I suppose, but I like custom gear when it's in orifices.

My work just furnished me with this brand HERE. And they work really great. They last about 5 years (how long it takes your ears to out grow them) I beleive they paid about $60 but they could be getting a deal since they are buying them for all of their employees that want them.

I am required to wear hearing protection at work and these are my favorite style Howard Leight SmartFit Reusable Ear Plugs w/Removable Cord and HearPack Carry Case (NRR 25) - Reusable Shooting Ear Plugs a few years ago they brought a guy in to make custom fitted ear plugs for the guys and everyone hated them after having to wear them for extended periods of time and even one guy claimed he went deaf in one ear for several day because of them . . . take it with a grain of salt and decide for yourself

I had a pair made for me from 1969Ears (1964 Ears - Hear Everything). They do music monitors, but I had them put hawk filters in so that I can still carry on a conversation but gunfire is really muted. I love them and they are so comfortable I have left the range and forgot to take them out, and wondered what was wrong with my truck speakers:). They have to be custom made, but the company is in Portland, you go in and they make a mold of your ear and then a week or so later you pick them up or they ship them to you. They were less than $100 and they stand behind the product.

We offer custom molded earplugs as one of our services, being a 5 star rated gun range. They are on the expensive side ($50-$80 per) but offer a step up in fit and noise reduction compared to the foam plugs. There is a DIY kit that you can purchase on the internet to do at home but we have trained staff that do it for an individual so it is right the first time.

Some times when I'm out shooting (or watching videos of people shooting) I see folks with fancy, multicolored custom earplugs. Anyone have details on these? Best manufacturer, price, first-hand reviews? The foam ones are ok I suppose, but I like custom gear when it's in orifices.

I just had my hearing checked and asked what the BEST ear plug was. Believe it or not....the standard foam ear plug with the highest db reduction is the best you are going to get when using them alone. Combining foam ear plugs with shooting ears will reduce the noise but the effect wont be additive. It will be better than plugs alone and better than ears alone but the db reduction will not be ears plus plugs. The actual reduction will be less than the two added together but better than each device used solo. This is due to the sound entering rattling your ear drums through your skull.

If your looking for the BEST way to reduce sound from noise, use ear muffs and plugs but dont expect them to be that much better than the use of each individual one on its own. there is only so much sound that enters through the ear canal anyway....dont believe me.....cover your ears and thump your head.....

custom plugs are cool but dont do any better than the $.59 bimart orange traffic cones

I would skip the custom ear plugs and go with a high db reducing off the shelf ear plug, PLUS muffs of some sort. Neither alone will do the job well enough to protect your hearing long term. Use both at all times when you are shooting.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top