JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi All,

Need some opinions as I am going to build a custom 700. Going to get an action only from Brownells and go from there. I thought that would be smart....

Want to stick with 308 or 300 Win Mag as I have a good amount of FGGM 168/175 perhaps a 24-26 inch barrel and a good stock , good trigger, and good glass.

Who would you choose as a gunsmith to tackle this one? I know, a lot of questions. Probably want shoot past 800 yards.....

Thanks
Will

Here's an idea that may or may not work for you. Why not have someone professional install the barrel then do the rest yourself ? I'm assuming you are planning on a synthetic stock of some kind which takes the woodworking skills out of the loop. The trigger, scope mounting, etc are easy to do yourself. This way you can save money, learn a few new things maybe, and the rifle will feel a lot more " personal " to you.

I'll add this before I sign off. I find Remington 700 triggers ok just the way they are with a little adjustment. If you don't care for the Remington trigger a Timney would be my next choice.

Any reason why the 700 action versus a Surgeon or Stiller or Templar (GAP) or Defiance or the likes for a custom rifle?

If it's a custom rifle, I'm guessing the action will be blue printed, a Stiller action doesn't cost that much more, if at all.

It is entirely possible to DIY blue printing the 700 action and barreling with the proper tools and a short chambered barrel from Shilen through Brownell's.

But IMHO, it would be most cost effective to get a premium action and simply get it barreled by a gunsmith then DIY the rest.

Otherwise, why not find a 700 sps (or Savage or Howa or whatever entry level rifle) that doesn't cost much more than a bare action itself, shoot the crap out of it and upgrade as necessary?

I don't necessarily advise against DIY, as geometro suggests, but you should remember, if you screw it up somehow, it's going to cost way more to have a gunsmith fix it than just having it built right the first time.

That being said, if you have either experience or passion, go for it. If you go slow, there are certain things that are doable by yourself. Having something that you had a hand in building can be a very rewarding experience. Just be realistic about what you tackle and you'll be fine!

Yeah, not sure about my abilities as a DIY project, I know my limitations. I have a 45/70 at Brockmans in ID right now and had a conversation with Jim. He thought best way was to grab a Rem 700 Action from Brownells and start from there and keep it simple.

Wow, what a question to ask!! You could do some price checking. You could get started with a good used 700 rifle and look into upgrading step by step, shooting the rifle in the mean time. Compare that to what it would cost to buy the rifle in pieces and have it put together, considering any DYI stuff along the way. If you decide on a Savage action, you may find it possible to do some of the work yourself that would require a gunsmith to do if you were to choose a different action. (special tools required)

Also, if you are going to piece it together, the difference in the prices of the "premium" actions could easily be offset due to less gunsmithing work needed on the action. I would expect that the choice of who's action to use would not be to "keep it simple", but rather, keep tabs on the price.

There is a fantastic assortment of quality aftermarket parts for the 700 action. That alone may be reason enough to follow "Jim's" advice. Unless, of course, having a custom gun with the plain ol name of Remington on the side of the action action just doesn't seem right...

Yeah, not sure about my abilities as a DIY project, I know my limitations. I have a 45/70 at Brockmans in ID right now and had a conversation with Jim. He thought best way was to grab a Rem 700 Action from Brownells and start from there and keep it simple.

Jim does nice work, so I wouldn't doubt his advice.

Yeah, I figured for the price of finding a used Rem 700 vs buying a brand new, non messed with action from Brownells. Now , I have to decide about caliber. I khave a few 30-06's and I know they are capable of handling anything that I may hunt for, but the 300 Mag or 338 Mag seem very interesting to me. I wonder if it sounds silly to build a magnum caliber if the 30-06 will do everything I need it too? I am going to buy factory amoo and handload, so I will have to decide on caliber before sending the action in to be built. I guess if i go Magnum, I will probably have to go to a 26 inch ?

The advantages of using an existing caliber are fairly self explanatory...

The only reason to step up to a a .300 win mag would be to easily/reliably go further out than 800 yds as stated in the original post.

Although, there are better projectiles the 300 win mag can push for that kind of range.

Barrel length of 26" should be fine.

Depending on the load, the 300 win mags can be barrel burners and not as "fun" to shoot as a 30-06.

to each his own, the 700 is a fine mass produced reciever. personally I would go with a model 70 or a commercial mauser. The flat bottomed control feed action with an integral lug are a no brainer. To me the 700 is a compromise to allow for easier mass production.

You should look at the HOWA barreled actions, heavy barrel, in .308. I have their "Varminter 1500 barreled action", not sure if they are making that any longer, with a Bell and Carleton stock. M&M's at 100 meters and ping pong balls at 300 meters are no problem, using a BARSKA 3~10, 30MM, 40MM objective "SWAT" scope with excellent results. The 175 grain SMK with AA #2520 is a very accurate and lethal combination. The HOWA is economical, very accurate, solid and has an easy to adjust trigger. I too have a Remington action that I built up a .338 RUM for very long distance shooting (much more economical than a .338 Lapua, same ballistics), but paying to have the action and barrel head spaced is not exactly inexpensive [300 grain SMK or BERGER, loaded with MAGPRO]. That being said, if you do decide to go the Remington action route, PACNOR here in Oregon is an excellent choice for the barrel (I highly recommend a good muzzle brake, the VAIS brakes are excellent). I had my .338 assembled and plated at ROBAR in AZ using their NP3 plating, excellent corrosion resistance, very strong. I have a few 1911's that I have had plated there and carried around the globe as an Army Warrant Officer, never skipped a beat, never chipped the plating, never a failure.

I shoot competitively with a Remington PSS shooter, Jerry...he laments to no end how in the world my Howa can consistently out shoot his PSS...might be the operator? Hard to bad mouth the Howa niche, value is value, proof is in the freezer or in Paradise...

I will step in here, attentive to what you said first:

There is what some would term a more than moderate valley between .308 and .300 Magnum. Your peliminary research should equip you to define between the two (or something between).

Define your purpose. All will follow. Here is an axiom, do not dispose of it: 800 yard shooting with any consistency will ONLY be accomplished with extensive and dedicated, time consuming practice. ANY good caliber will allow that accomplishment with the time and effort and documentation applied.

No specific caliber will deliver the success above intensive and dedicated practice. No specific rifle or rifle building techniques will ever match the personal contribution of time on the bench. A Model 94 Winchester with buckhorn sights will deliver 1.25" groups at 100 yards with a good load and a practiced shooter. The finest .300 Magnum scoped sniper rifle will fall short of that with the operater unexperienced. Gadgets don't get you the Grandeur.

Take it to the bank.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads