JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Last Friday, September 30, 2011, I picked up my Savage in .257 Weatherby. I bought a light weight 24" .25-06 barrel from Midway and had the smith charmber it, flute it and install a fantastic brake. He removed fourteen ounces with the fluting. It used to be a .223 that was very accurate but I wanted a .257 Wea 'cause I didn't want to fire my Mark V .257. I advertized it as being fired 211 times so I couldn't fire it anymore in good conscience. Since the z5 didn't arive I found a good deal on a Bushnell 4200 4-16X40. I put it in some Burris Signature "Z" insert rings on Weaver bases and went to the range with a box of ammo the Mark V liked: Wea brass, Fed 215, [email protected] grains. In the Mark V 26" barrel this produced 3,704 feet per second checked on two chorographs.

While the barrel cooled I went down and measured the first group. The first three shots made a group at 100 yards of 11/16". Great start. When the barrel cooled I fired three more and measured the group. Again it was 11/16", but the bolt was a little sticky on the up lift. I went home and pulled the rest of the loads and loaded some at 71.0 grains.

Back at the range I fired three again and the group was 13/16". I moved the crosshair to the right four clicks and up fifteen clicks and the group moved like it is supose to. That is not the normal for me. I fired three more to verify and it was there. The three shots were about 2" above the "X" like the other three so I called it good. The velocity averaged 3,695. I was ready for the next day's deer opener.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top