JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Vista Outdoors aka the owners of Federal and Remington is running its ammo production lines 247. And now that Remington is up and running, supply is finally catching up.

The real question is has the panic relaxed enough that ammo can sit.
Not at current prices. 9mm still seems to be flying out as fast as it comes in.

Are we?
It's hard for me to imagine with demand being what it is (I do agree there is increased demand) what company doesn't figure out a way to increase production in order to try and keep up? I have worked in production manufacturing environments all of my career and when demands increase you add people, you pay overtime, you add shifts, you add equipment if you think the demand will continue, you improve processes to reduce time from start to finish but you figure it out before the competitions does or another manufacturer jumps in the fray. I wouldn't think you get on YouTube and whine how you are doing everything you can and quit calling us.
And the whole Remington ammunition sale, I still think there is something in there that is a portion of this mess...again, just my opinion and we all know what those are like :)

And no matter what it is, IT SUCKS!!:mad:
My understanding is it is the both supply chain that is constrained -- so you've got suppliers scrambling to add capacity --- as well as the manufacturers who are sitting on millions in backorders because they can't add capacity quickly enough when they can get their material orders filled from their suppliers.

Well, that is the essence of a market economy. If we believe in capitalism as we claim, there is actually no such thing a "gouging." A purveyor of goods and services will charge what the market will bear. The demand curve overlaid on the supply channel should determine the retail price with surprising accuracy.
Yep! A LOT of people complain but, if every seller kept selling the stuff at the "normal mark up" people would just grab every box as fast as it hit. Then others would be selling it on places, just like they are now, for the price the market would bear. Most of the loudest complainers have seen at least one if not more of these "panic shortages". They choose to ignore the stuff when the shelves are full. They choose to ignore those who warn them it will happen again. Then when it does happen again they come up with conspiracy theories. Like the plants that make the stuff just laid off half their staff yet no one who no longer works there is of course telling anyone about it. :s0140:
Then add to it this time their is a HUGE lot of new gun owners. So a LOT of people are new to guns and at least with boxes of ammo selling at 3 times what it was a little over a year ago they can still buy some to learn the new guns they bought.
For the "sky is falling conspiracy crowd" soon enough the shelves will fill again. Stuff will be on sale weekly. Almost every one of them will ignore it again.:s0092:

Not at current prices. 9mm still seems to be flying out as fast as it comes in.
I take it you mean at places like Bi-Mart? Because there are big sellers who now seem to have the stuff for a while at a time like one of my favorites, SG. Price is still too high for me to be interested. If it stays were it is when I get down to about 1 case left I will dust off the loading stuff but, it is there. Not sure how much of the price there is them trying to make enough to keep the small amount of staff they have left employed and keep the doors open and how much is the cost to them going up because they can no longer buy an entire shipment. At least for those who bought a gun for the first time can buy some ammo to learn to shoot. Then of course there is the auctions. The one I use now and then has so many pages of 9mm ammo you could spend a long time looking. Again price does not interest me but, at least its there for those who have none. :s0092:

Time is also money.
I cannot find 9mm ammo online for less than $40ish a box, and rarely find it in local stores (and when I do find it, there's usually a 1 or 2 box limit). So I end up spending a lot of time hunting for bullets, which is time I could be spending elsewhere.
So when I find a chance to get several boxes in one shot, I'm goin for it.
I'll probably buy another case or two on Monday.

I have been to Curt's a couple of times; I always get lost and end up at Northwest Firearms or someplace like that. It's a long way from Tipperary for me.

Guessing it's 115 grains that I dislike a lot.

Time is also money.
I cannot find 9mm ammo online for less than $40ish a box, and rarely find it in local stores (and when I do find it, there's usually a 1 or 2 box limit). So I end up spending a lot of time hunting for bullets, which is time I could be spending elsewhere.
So when I find a chance to get several boxes in one shot, I'm goin for it.
I'll probably buy another case or two on Monday.
Yes, time is kind of money.

So when I reload, aside from simply having ammunition to enjoy the shooting sports, I casually think of the reloading time spent as paying myself...

I can reload 600 9mm an hour at a casual pace. 800 if I push it. I'll call it 500 an hour realistically (getting projectiles in tubes, etc).

I do prep & prime as separate steps, so that cuts into time. So cut it back to 300 rounds / hr.

So, for simplicity sake ill call it 250 rounds per hour. 4 hours for a case of 1,000.

As I write this, the least expensive brass case 9mm is remanufactured (which I wouldn't buy/shoot anyways) from Southern Munitions at $540 shipped.

Next choice would be new manufacture Bellom 124gr, from some website I've never heard of with no reviews (so, again I wouldn't buy it). However its price is $625 shipped.

Ahh, but I look a bit further on ammoseek & Global Ordnance has the above same. 1 case limit. $613 shipped. I have dealt with Global Ordnance, so know they are a legitimate company & I've had decent experience dealing with them.

So from all the above, I'm paying my self $613, minus my consumeable expense of $150 (pre-covid powder & primers, post covid projectiles). So am paying myself $463 per 1000 9mm. Which takes me 4 hours.

So, I'm paying myself $463/4=$116 per hour. Not bad, and to ad, I'm enjoying reloading in and of itself as well.

I'll be paying myself EVEN MORE, once I flip to coated lead projectiles.

As in many things fellow forum members, YMMV.

The problems with increasing capacity in an industry like munitions are many. Especially when considering the industry has been at or near full production capacity for years.

It's not just throwing a few more machines on the plant floor and hiring a handful more staff to run them.

Permitting is a years long process that for facilities such as these could easily move into the millions of dollars.

The plant itself would cost hundreds of millions (probably over a billion actually) more to construct, equip and to train new workers.

There is no guarantee that demand would remain at present levels, especially considering the current political and social climate in our country.

There are other issues, but right here are two huge constraints towards increasing capacity.

BTW: A month or so ago Vista Outdoors released an industry circular that stated at present they had a $1.5 Billion back log of ammo orders on their books. That's about a year and a half production at full capacity.

Yes, time is kind of money.

So when I reload, aside from simply having ammunition to enjoy the shooting sports, I casually think of the reloading time spent as paying myself...

I can reload 600 9mm an hour at a casual pace. 800 if I push it. I'll call it 500 an hour realistically (getting projectiles in tubes, etc).

I do prep & prime as separate steps, so that cuts into time. So cut it back to 300 rounds / hr.

So, for simplicity sake ill call it 250 rounds per hour. 4 hours for a case of 1,000.

As I write this, the least expensive brass case 9mm is remanufactured (which I wouldn't buy/shoot anyways) from Southern Munitions at $540 shipped.

Next choice would be new manufacture Bellom 124gr, from some website I've never heard of with no reviews (so, again I wouldn't buy it). However its price is $625 shipped.

Ahh, but I look a bit further on ammoseek & Global Ordnance has the above same. 1 case limit. $613 shipped. I have dealt with Global Ordnance, so know they are a legitimate company & I've had decent experience dealing with them.

So from all the above, I'm paying my self $613, minus my consumeable expense of $150 (pre-covid powder & primers, post covid projectiles). So am paying myself $463 per 1000 9mm. Which takes me 4 hours.

So, I'm paying myself $463/4=$116 per hour. Not bad, and to ad, I'm enjoying reloading in and of itself as well.

I'll be paying myself EVEN MORE, once I flip to coated lead projectiles.

As in many things fellow forum members, YMMV.
I have had problems with my handguns using coated 9 MM, some work fine others fail to feed. I am not a reloader and I did buy re-manufactured 9 MM, seem to work okay in AR-9's. My new Federal Syntec work in anything. Learned my lesson for the sixth or seventh time about Re-man's

I have had problems with my handguns using coated 9 MM, some work fine others fail to feed. I am not a reloader and I did buy re-manufactured 9 MM, seem to work okay in AR-9's. My new Federal Syntec work in anything. Learned my lesson for the sixth or seventh time about Re-man's
Have reloaded coated lead in the past, back when I learned.

Then switched to Berry's played. Didn't stock up on the plates is all. They're currently $.10-$.12 each shipped. Which isn't bad, all things considered.

However coated are around $.07 ish currently delivered. Significant savings over plated, given our shooting volume.

Was thinking going with DG bullets 125gr conical nose (profile similar to a truncated coan, but rounded tip, rather than flat).

The coan profile at that weight should allow for use in all our 9mm's vs loading (seating) for particulars.

Might even save in powder per cartridge as well due to the bearing surface/coating. Less of a concern NOW, due to the powder I set back. Saving a portion of a grain per will ad up over time though.

Will see..

I'm ok with buying 9mm ammo at BiMart (once a week) for 10.97 a 50rd box, limit two boxes.
next time I see 9mm for $150 a 1000rd case, I will buy a few and call it good until the next sale. Until then my 9mm stock will be fine.
I miss the days of $99- 1000rd cases. People paying $600 a case, what are you thinking??

I'm ok with buying 9mm ammo at BiMart (once a week) for 10.97 a 50rd box, limit two boxes.
next time I see 9mm for $150 a 1000rd case, I will buy a few and call it good until the next sale. Until then my 9mm stock will be fine.
I miss the days of $99- 1000rd cases. People paying $600 a case, what are you thinking??
Bimart has recently increased their prices. There is no long $10.97 a 50rd box. Those days are gone. The cheapest 9mm at Bimart for the past month has been $15.97-16.97/box of 50 rnds.

Bimart has recently increased their prices. There is no long $10.97 a 50rd box. Those days are gone. The cheapest 9mm at Bimart for the past month has been $15.97-16.97/box of 50 rnds.
Not the last time I bought ammo. In Newberg, Hillsboro, or McMinnville. They had some for 10.97 and some different stuff for $14.97. Either way it's half the price to slowly stock up then buy overpriced ammo by the case.

It's either that or nothing for those who are new to this and those who refuse to learn. So they pay. Sadly this is a recurring theme that just keeps playing out. Few seem to ever learn. :s0092:

Their price is based on what they get it for. Right now they can't buy an entire truck load at a time. So the price to them is of course higher until the pipe line fills again. When they can again buy what an entire trailer holds instead of one pallet the price to them will of course be a lot lower. Ammo is like any commodity. The large the order you can place the cheaper per unit it gets.

I just saw an online vendor with tula 9 for $548.99 shipped for 1000 rds and $597.99 for 1000 rds of .223 I know that is still high priced for junk ammo but they have lots of stock which means ammo demand is slowing down because not too long ago no one had any in stock

What I am curious to see if Optics Planet honors their backorder prices. They were one of the last online vendors to raise their prices (probably because they did not have any) but they did eventually I literally place some orders a week before they did not even know they were going to do that. The ship dates got pushed from May to July and August but my foot is in the door at the previous price. We'll see.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top