JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I found found Curt's around July of 2012 and was pretty happy dealing with them for the most part. I went through my receipts and in all I have spent nearly $5000 there since July. In December I was told they had a Noveske Afghan barrel w/switchblock on order and told him that I wanted it, gave him some money down and waited patiently for the phone call that it was in. I stopped in a couple times a week asking about it until a few weeks ago after being assured he would call when it arrived. Well, after no call I decided to stop in on Friday Feb 2 and I see an upper that Curt put together on the wall with a Noveske Afghan w/switchblock barrel and a price of $2700. Before I got angry I asked if MY barrel was in and he said no, but he thinks he has some on order. According to Curt, there was ONE coming in as of December, and I put money down on the ONE that was coming in. But instead of showing some loyalty to a customer, he decided to sell it at an OUTRAGEOUS price and lose a customer at the same time. Needless to say I am extremely disappointed in Curt and his store.

Did you talk to him or call him out. I would have. Well mabey most dealers right now dont give to bubblegums about there customers. Interested in what he would have said. Tell you what if he still has it go into his shop ask to see it. The second he hands it to you RUB YOUR NUTS all over it set it on the counter and walk out the door. Trick is dont look back makes more of an impact.

I kind of lost my cool over the whole deal. He basically told me tough bubblegum and in no way offered to make it right. The deal we made was to swap my 16" switchblock barrel for the afghan to offset the cost, so in reality he still could have built the over priced upper with my barrel that i'm sure he would have given me about $100 for. I guess he can now sell it to someone who has no idea what they are looking at and just wanting to buy whatever is available. It's not the end of the world. It's really nice to see a business looking out for actual shooters and enthusiasts instead of getting in on the current madness.

The Noveske Afghan is a 14.5" right?

If we're talking about the same upper on Curt's wall, from a week ago, that upper has a 16" Noveske barrel w/SB, so it's entirely likely that your Afghan is still on order.

If that's true, you can't blame Curt for not selling you a barrel you didn't order.

I found found Curt's around July of 2012 and was pretty happy dealing with them for the most part. I went through my receipts and in all I have spent nearly $5000 there since July. In December I was told they had a Noveske Afghan barrel w/switchblock on order and told him that I wanted it, gave him some money down and waited patiently for the phone call that it was in. I stopped in a couple times a week asking about it until a few weeks ago after being assured he would call when it arrived. Well, after no call I decided to stop in on Friday Feb 2 and I see an upper that Curt put together on the wall with a Noveske Afghan w/switchblock barrel and a price of $2700. Before I got angry I asked if MY barrel was in and he said no, but he thinks he has some on order. According to Curt, there was ONE coming in as of December, and I put money down on the ONE that was coming in. But instead of showing some loyalty to a customer, he decided to sell it at an OUTRAGEOUS price and lose a customer at the same time. Needless to say I am extremely disappointed in Curt and his store.

A co-worker of mine had a similar situation with a SDN-6 he had been waiting on for 3 months. He had to call Curt out to be able to get him to put one aside. If he hadn't been in that day, he would have missed that shipment. Who knows how many had come and gone in that 3 months.

so let me get this straight... you ordered something, it still has not come in, something simular came in and you are pissed off cause you didnt get a call to tell you that there was something close to your order but still not it...

im confused. sounds like your butt hurt over nothing.

since you are affiliated, do you guys have any parts at all right now? i tried calling but no one answered im trying to build a upper i need basically everything nothing fancy just a shooter?
The Noveske Afghan is a 14.5" right?

If we're talking about the same upper on Curt's wall, from a week ago, that upper has a 16" Noveske barrel w/SB, so it's entirely likely that your Afghan is still on order.

If that's true, you can't blame Curt for not selling you a barrel you didn't order.

since you are affiliated, do you guys have any parts at all right now? i tried calling but no one answered im trying to build a upper i need basically everything nothing fancy just a shooter?

Yesterday's news:

Upper parts other than BCG: yes (port door assembly, FA assembly)

LPK: no (Northwest Armory has piles of them for $99, which is about market price right now)

Stripped uppers: no

Bolt Carrier: possibly delivered today, but can't say what quality, or AR/M16, or how many till they get in. And if they do come in, they will have to be assembled and staked. Also, some will probably be reserved for the show this weekend. Don't know what price Curt will put them at.

Sorry no one answered. I help out from time to time, but not there every day and sometimes am with customers so can't get to the phone.

So yet another great experience at Curt's.... NOT...

So to be fair, I am new to the whole black gun thing and in such I require a bit of educating.. So I walk in to Curt's yesterday afternoon and get greeted by Curt almost right away (not hard, I was the only one in the store). So I walk up to him and explain that I am looking to build my first upper, his reply was "Oh, well I think we may have the parts around here to do that" and done... From that point on, he was not looking to assist me in figuring out the best way to go or anything.. I am pretty sure that he was on a mission to hold that stool down since his *** never got off of it.. Now I know some of you guys can walk into the store and go, Hey I need this and this and this.. Not my skill set at this time.. I was looking for someone that would work with me and this is why I was not shopping on the internet, but in a brick and mortar store.. In the 40 minutes that I was there he never tried to assist and I know that with the 4 employes and now two whopping customers in the store that he may have been overwhelmed... but really, this would have been the better part of a $800 sale with cash in pocket... For those of you that love him, ok.. but I have tried three times now and it is always the same... Low level service, like I am taking up his precious resting time... Ok, let the excuses and bashing commence... :pound:

So yet another great experience at Curt's.... NOT...

So to be fair, I am new to the whole black gun thing and in such I require a bit of educating.. So I walk in to Curt's yesterday afternoon and get greeted by Curt almost right away (not hard, I was the only one in the store). So I walk up to him and explain that I am looking to build my first upper, his reply was "Oh, well I think we may have the parts around here to do that" and done... From that point on, he was not looking to assist me in figuring out the best way to go or anything..

Sorry for that. I was probably in the store at the time. If Curt is talking to someone I try not to interrupt. Also try not to swarm customers, some guys just want to browse after first contact.

OTOH, I do need a customer to let me know what he wants. If a customer comes in and says "I want an upper but I have no idea where to start" I can work with that.

That's where I start asking questions like "what do you plan on using this upper for?" "What's your approximate budget?"

I am pretty sure that he was on a mission to hold that stool down since his *** never got off of it..

Not cool, but hey it's your opinion.

Now I know some of you guys can walk into the store and go, Hey I need this and this and this.. Not my skill set at this time.. I was looking for someone that would work with me and this is why I was not shopping on the internet, but in a brick and mortar store..In the 40 minutes that I was there he never tried to assist and I know that with the 4 employes and now two whopping customers in the store that he may have been overwhelmed...

In the forty minutes you were in the store, did you actually tell one of us that you needed a from-the-ground-up consultation?

Some people call this "hand-holding" in a patronizing way. I'm not going to do that. Everyone has to start from somewhere, I get that. But I cannot go up to every customer and simply assume that he's a noob. I also have no ability to force a customer to tell me where his/her knowledge level is at.

That's why I ask if there's anything I can help someone find. If that's XYZ specific part, great, but if it's just information, maybe I can help too, I just need you to tell me that is what you're looking for.

There's lots of people "looking to build my first upper." That doesn't tell me what level of assistance you need. The info is there, you just have to ask for it.

Finally, Curt's is a low-pressure sales environment. If you didn't specify what you needed, it doesn't surprise me that he didn't come after you with a buy-it-now game plan.

Low level service, like I am taking up his precious resting time... Ok, let the excuses and bashing commence... :pound:

If you did say exactly what you needed, then I a apologize for not being there and able to help you at the time you were in the store.

If you want to give it another shot, PM me and maybe we can set up a time for you to come in and I will personally try to get your upper spec'd if not built (parts availability being what it is). Keep in mind that I will not be able to recognize you by your screen name.

I enjoy Curts passive demeanor, I mostly did business with him at the gun shows, I stopped in one day at his shop and he had everything I needed for my M1A even though they sell mostly AR-15 stuff they were able to still help me get what I needed. I guess I was a bit more talkative and kept asking questions which got answers too. I dont like the hustle that some gun stores have, if you want that, go to Discount Guns, 2nd rate salesmen to say the least.

Curts received some BCG's and Noveske lowers. Stopped by today and he had MAGPUL LOWER with Noveske build rifle. I guess both companies had input on the rifle looks really cool. Also never seen a Magpul Rifle just in pictures online.
On the topic, I know some people had some complaints with Curts, but Like LDD said you have to have a little start, or have somewhat an idea where you want to go. You don't need to know what all the parts called or which brand is better, but you do have to have some knowledge on the subject.
Many moons ago (Before my obsession with AR's) I went to Kieths Sporting in Gresham and I got the Noob treatment (Sarcasm) Nobody even wanted to talk to me, Treated like **** even though I brought 2k to spend for a rifle. So guess what I did I went online did a little bit of research and came back in. It was night and day treatment. All i did is got some ideas of what i wanted and the guys then where able to guide me to a rifle that worked for me.
The point is if you just walk into a store and say i don't know what i want please tell what to buy, or i just want to build a rifle and not even mention what you want to do with the rifle or you budget, nobody is going to read your mind.

The first couple times I went in the store I was less than impressed. The selection seemed very good, especially considering the current state of the industry. I was put off by the extremely high prices (double or triple the pre-panic prices), but I'm over it. I understand that as inventory goes down, prices go up (fewer sales mean there has to be more markup to compensate)...I get that.

I called the other day needing a bolt catch roll pin, and he had them in stock. I went in and noticed the prices had dropped, but some things were still too much for me to pay. He gave me the two roll pins and wouldn't take my money. As soon as my wife gets over my recent purchases, I'll go back to Curt's for a couple buttstock assemblies. Yes, Curt seems a bit aloof and perhaps gruff, but I guess that's just the way he is. I can deal with that.

As prices hopefully drop to (what I believe to be) reasonable levels, I will do what I can to shop there. I'm willing to pay a few extra bucks for the convenience of driving 20 minutes to get it instead of buying online, paying shipping and waiting a week, plus it's nice having a LGS that has little parts.

Long term, I think it would be good for the shop to have a more traditional 'customer service' person there to answer basic questions, hold some hands, etc...., but that's up to him. I'm now a Curt's convert.

Curt's has Surefire 60rd magazines for 139.00. He also received some .223 at a decent price.
Finally I went in and there is more than 3 rifles on the wall to look at.
But somebody did buy all 7.62x39 he had. Does somebody know something I don't know:s0131:
When will the madness END?!!!:s0114:

I like curt's. It has a nice feel to it that I dont get going to other LGS. This is my go to place for AR stuff. As soon as the prices go down a little im getting a AR pistol.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top