Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Currently Available Ammo

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by catamountrdr, Dec 26, 2013.

1. catamountrdr

catamountrdr Whidbey Island Member

I was just curious if anyone else has run across this. I recently purchased some Winchester white box 45 acp when it became available. Decided to go the the range and opened one of the boxes and discovered some degree of tarnish on all the rounds, with some of the rounds showing a large amount of tarnish. In fact, my 1960's Largo ammo is better looking than this Winchester stuff.

DSC04354.jpg

2. bzltyr

bzltyr Portland Metro area Active Member

Call the manufacturer and see what they say.

hker71 and (deleted member) like this.
  3. SHPD_Retired

SHPD_Retired Saint Helens Well-Known Member

I have bought a bunch lately and it is all nice and shiny.

4. nwo

nwo Southern Oregon Well-Known Member

That is interesting, but I would not worry about it. Shoot it up.

5. biggie24420

biggie24420 Beaverton Oregon Well-Known Member

Flitz will shine that SOB up :)

6. Mikej

Mikej Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

True, true, but that's not the point. What the hay? I'd figure it's fine to shoot, but what does this say for quality control? Are people hoarding so much .45 brass that Winchester's ammo suppliers have stooped to digging through gravel pits across the country for their brass, and this batch missed the "Rejuvenation" process?

There was a guy at the range one day showing me his box of Win white box, .45 acp ball, and he had three rounds that the bullets were seated well below the shoulder!! I figure I'll load as long as I'll be shooting, but I will most likely NEVER buy Win White Box.

Mike

7. 808hondacrguy

808hondacrguy Eugene,OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I got ten boxes of Federal brown box XM 193 for christmas, and it was all the brass in all the boxes were really tarnished. I never used the Cabela's brown box 556 so I assumed that that is just how they were. I shot two boxes yesterday, and they worked just fine.

8. PDXoriginal

PDXoriginal PNW Well-Known Member

Winchester isn't know for the best quality control when it comes to their consumer ammo.

9. Misternt

Misternt Salem Area Active Member

Federal XM193 isn't tarnished it's annealed. Commercial brass is polished to remove the annealed appearance.

That 45 round looks bad and although it'll probably shoot fine you can always contact winchester.

Bullets seated well below the shoulder is scary! 45 isn't a high pressure round like 40 or 9mm but excessive seating depth can lead to KABOOM's

10. Skang

Skang WA Well-Known Member

most likely they were trying to push out ammo too quickly from the factory.

unless you are going to store them, I wouldn't worry too much about it. also it doesn't hurt to let Winchester know the issue.

11. catamountrdr

catamountrdr Whidbey Island Member

I agree about the Winchester white box. When I originally started this thread I was really torqued about the condition of the cases. When I pay for commercial ammo I expect it to be nice and shiny....not look like WWII surplus that wasn't properly stored. Ammo has a great shelf life if it is stored correctly. This white box junk that I posted the picture of does not look to have been processed or stored correctly.
    So, imagine my surprise when I opened up a couple of boxes of Winchester white box .223 that I also had and found the same issue. Bad tarnish bordering on corrosion on the cases and around the primers.
    Took both the 45acp and the 223 to the range today to check them out. I was less than impressed. Dirty shooting, inconsistant feel to the rounds, mediocre accuracy and random scattering of the ejected cases. Ok, I know everyone is scratching their heads about the ejected cases, but with the same guns and my handloads the ejected cases are usually in a nice small three foot circle.
    Anyway, not to beat a dead horse, but I think I will pass on the white box in the future. It doesn't meet my requirements for quality ammo. Too bad...I've always liked Winchester products in the past.

12. U201491

U201491 Well-Known Member

Could it be a returned box from someone. If so You might pull a bullet and examine the powder charge in comparison with one that is normal looking. Similar powder similar weight it should be fine.
    Just thinking out loud.