JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've heard people extol the virtues of the downloaded .44 mag before, some even going so far as to say there's really no use at all for full powered magnum loads.

I don't mean to challenge anyone but I am curious. What makes the lighter load better than the magnum load? What makes a 240gr bullet going 1000fps superior to a 240gr bullet going 1400fps?

If the answer is controlability when 1400fps isn't needed, then I get that. I download them myself for paper punching, though I do also like to punch paper with full power loads too, just because. One guy once told me it was foolish to shoot targets with heavy magnum loads because the paper didn't know the difference. I asked him why he shot with a .45 auto instead of a .22lr; after all, the paper can't tell the difference.

A friend of mine is in wildlife control, and shoots a lot of bears with his model 29. I can tell you one thing he doesn't use is light loads. On the other hand, I can see where 1000 to 1100 fps is probably plenty good enough for most other things.

I don't think I've ever heard anyone say there is no use for full power 44 mag loads, but as a self-defense round against humans it is ridiculously over-powered, thus the preference for down-loaded 44 mag or 44 spl rounds when used in that role. Going fishing in grizz country? Toss in some 310gr Hammerheads and rock on. That is what makes 44 mag so versatile.

Totally agree about the versatility, and the overkill. Many years ago a friend of mine was going into law enforcement and had to buy his own gear. He told me he wanted to buy a .44 magnum for a duty gun. I told him I didn't think that was a good idea at all, that he should talk to some others in the department before making that kind of decision. Needless to say he did not buy a .44.

There was a thread on another forum once that got a little contentious (though I didn't participate). I remember one guy being quite adamant that he had no use ever for downloaded .44 mag, and at least one other guy being quite adamant that the downloaded .44 was superior in every way. I just didn't know if there was something magical about that moderate ground between old school .44 Special and full house .44 magnum.

On the other hand, a lot of people aren't aware of the versatility of the .44, because the .44 Special was never nearly as popular as the .38 Special. I use .38s all the time in my .357 mag. .44 Special ammo just isn't cheap and plentiful like .38 Special, unless you cast and reload. Ten grains of Unique behind a 429421 made of scrap range lead makes for cheap shooting, much better than $30 per box for store bought.

Last Edited:
I've heard people extol the virtues of the downloaded .44 mag before, some even going so far as to say there's really no use at all for full powered magnum loads.

I don't mean to challenge anyone but I am curious. What makes the lighter load better than the magnum load? What makes a 240gr bullet going 1000fps superior to a 240gr bullet going 1400fps?

If the answer is controlability when 1400fps isn't needed, then I get that. I download them myself for paper punching, though I do also like to punch paper with full power loads too, just because. One guy once told me it was foolish to shoot targets with heavy magnum loads because the paper didn't know the difference. I asked him why he shot with a .45 auto instead of a .22lr; after all, the paper can't tell the difference.

A friend of mine is in wildlife control, and shoots a lot of bears with his model 29. I can tell you one thing he doesn't use is light loads. On the other hand, I can see where 1000 to 1100 fps is probably plenty good enough for most other things.

You seem to have answered your own question. The general idea is to reduce recoil/enhance control. The 1000 fps bullet (a solid copper Lehigh) will penetrate deeply and disrupt as much flesh as any hollow point and allow for quick follow-up shots. These can also be driven to much higher speeds to provide deeper penetration. As long as the requisite tissue disruption is accomplished, the penetration to read the vitals is needed to stop/kill larger animals.

Aside from that, reduced wear (frame stretching) on the handgun is an oft-forgotten benefit.

I too have been loxked in this dilemma....pin and recess 4" $800-1300
Classic model...
Shipped new at $739 and $769 cheapest on web I have fingered
Add $30 brown stain= under $800

Man I trust the old for value retention
Classic more like a glock $700-800 where it ll stay ?
With the country Gent making this post I think I have decided. I'll enjoy the use of the classic and keep hunting for pin and recess with the original box. We got to keep our dreams going right

You seem to have answered your own question. The general idea is to reduce recoil/enhance control. The 1000 fps bullet (a solid copper Lehigh) will penetrate deeply and disrupt as much flesh as any hollow point and allow for quick follow-up shots. These can also be driven to much higher speeds to provide deeper penetration. As long as the requisite tissue disruption is accomplished, the penetration to read the vitals is needed to stop/kill larger animals.

Aside from that, reduced wear (frame stretching) on the handgun is an oft-forgotten benefit.

So what you're saying is the lighter load is a better balance of horsepower and controllability when maximum horsepower isn't necessary; I have to agree with that!

Cooper, either way I think you can't go wrong with a model 29. If you ever make it over this way again and the timing worked out, we could meet up at the range and you could try one of each, if you wanted. I have an old 29-2 (pinned and recessed), and a newer 29-8. Neither are for sale, but you'd be welcome to shoot them just to get a feel for new vs. old. I think the trigger is a little better on the older one. I don't know if that's an individual gun thing, or a general quality thing for S&W.

I too have been loxked in this dilemma....pin and recess 4" $800-1300
Classic model...
Shipped new at $739 and $769 cheapest on web I have fingered
Add $30 brown stain= under $800

Man I trust the old for value retention
Classic more like a glock $700-800 where it ll stay ?
With the country Gent making this post I think I have decided. I'll enjoy the use of the classic and keep hunting for pin and recess with the original box. We got to keep our dreams going right

Why should you worry so? Buy the old P&R, but also buy a newer model and shoot the daylights out of it! They were meant to be fired and enjoyed. The new ones aren't "museum pieces". No, they are tools that are meant to be used.

Thanks for invite..one of these days
I HAD " SOLD FIRST COLLECTION WIFES HELP W/COLLEGE "
An older 29 included..blindfold me..bet ya I could tell differences.
My hunch is the paper and roxks would be just the same.
Trust me a new Classic is gonna get hot in my hands. With resale not in the equation ...i will shoot mine to no end.

I have a -2 with a 4"barrel and a newer one with a 6.5. I sure like the 3 inch delux model 629. Both mine are blue. If I can get a fair price out of my old 1894 30/30 short rifle one of those 3" and good leather holster might be in my future. I just put 50 rounds together of a 200 grain jsp over 14.5 grains of blue dot. I think it would blow hell out of most things. My usual load is a 250 grain Keith style from bear tooth. Half grain under max with 296. Great fun in my peep sighted Marlin but in the 4 inch its mighty stout. ...tj3006

I like 44 Special intensity loads in my 629 a lot but has anyone ever seen an N frame stretched out of tolerance with any loading? The S&W N frame is an ideal combination of strength and form. Every time I get around a Ruger magnum revolver, the huge bulk and ugliness of it remind me of why I am not a fan. There metal is so inferior that they have to build these tank like structures to accomplish what Smith and Colt do with sleek quality forms illustrating class, effective engineering and quality design.

I have a question for you guys, I happened to be fingering up S&W revolvers tonight, as my wifey is thinking she wants one for a very specific role. After fondling a bunch of J and K frames, I had to fondle a new 29 and the 629 next to it. BOTH guns had grips that were slightly off center to the bore, with the butt angled to the left a few degrees. I thought it was me but my wife and the sales lady both held, aimed, and noticed the same. Is that normal on these? Further, the right side grip panel on the 29 was thicker. Seemed odd to me, but I am not a wheelgun guy.

I have a question for you guys, I happened to be fingering up S&W revolvers tonight, as my wifey is thinking she wants one for a very specific role. After fondling a bunch of J and K frames, I had to fondle a new 29 and the 629 next to it. BOTH guns had grips that were slightly off center to the bore, with the butt angled to the left a few degrees. I thought it was me but my wife and the sales lady both held, aimed, and noticed the same. Is that normal on these? Further, the right side grip panel on the 29 was thicker. Seemed odd to me, but I am not a wheelgun guy.
Boy, cut and paste comments in the above statement that would make in onto the "Members Quotes taken out of Context" :rolleyes:

(shrug) Not sure what to say. The one we have has been good so far.

LOL! All it would take is the right member to come "stomping" along. :s0165:

How does your grip align with the sights and frame? Nice and straight, or does it angle left slightly? FWIW it did not effect being able to aim, or reach the trigger, and it did not *feel* strange, but it sure looks odd and was visually noticeable. Yankee Marshall would probably have an embolism over it :rolleyes::D

Good news, kinda.....

My Wife said if i can sell the new 783 rifle we have for sale, then i can get a Model 29 for my Christmas present!! :)

Two problems
1) I'm having trouble selling the rifle
2) I think, not sure why, that the presentation box is no longer being sold with the revolver.

Very good news indeed, my friend. I have shot very many pistols over the decades and, I say with complete honesty, the Model 29 is my all time favorite. Best of wishes with your rifle sale. As to the box, I cannot say, but Grab-a-Gun lists this offering with said. It is about two, almost three, c-notes higher than we paid, but perhaps this is the inflation.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top