JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have been looking for a Model 29 with a 6½" (or thereabouts) barrel for a while. And I have one authorized in writing. I found a NIB, S&W Model 29 "Classic"* on Gunbroker and am tempted.

Question: Does anyone know the quality of current production Model 29s? I know the older guns were, generally, well made. I have no idea on the new ones though. Thanks much. :)

* They look like this:

150145_01_lg_1_0_0.jpg

In for the info, though i'm not sure how many people have the Model 29 Classic - they've been out of production run for a while, but seem to be back again.

Opinions. Everybody has one. I've owned several older 29's, have only looked at the current Classics. I don't like the shape of the new grips on the Classic, I prefer the older target stocks. The fit and finish on the Classic that I looked at close checked out pretty good. Some newer Smiths don't get finished all that well, you can find a burr here and there on some pieces. Some people don't like the lock on the left side, it doesn't matter much to me. I've got a few newer Smiths with the lock hole and I ignore it. MIM parts, blah blah blah, if it works, I'm good with the parts they're using now. Of the older 29's, I'd say those made in the 1980's weren't their finest hour. But again I say, they shoot okay. Fit is a bit sloppy on some from the 80's I've seen and owned. One thing about a .44 magnum, if you buy one, you'll probably never wear it out.

I would go to the smith and Wesson board and ask if you want good info. There have been design changes along the way and those folks know a lot over there. I do recall the first 29 had a problem with the cylinder popping open during recoil and they fixed that.

Well, I had a brief temptation to go with an Astra 44 or a Ruger Redhawk. But, no, there is only one revolver that is going to scratch this itch. So, I ordered a new one with the 6½" barrel this afternoon.

Once it comes into the FFL and I have a change to do some shooting with it, I will report back. :)

Well, I had a brief temptation to go with an Astra 44 or a Ruger Redhawk. But, no, there is only one revolver that is going to scratch this itch. So, I ordered a new one with the 6½" barrel this afternoon.

Once it comes into the FFL and I have a change to do some shooting with it, I will report back. :)

Looking forward to hearing. If anything is a "down side" my guess would be maybe not as smooth an action as they were always famous for, since it took a lot of hand work. If it's not a good Smith can fix that. I was never a wheel gun man but this was one that always tickled me when I got to shoot them. wish I had kept at least one of the early ones that passed through my hands. We need that range report!

I bought a 686 new, a few years ago. It wore out internal parts pretty quickly imo, the trigger started locking up and had to be manipulated to work on double action. To be clear, it had nothing to do with the internal lock. I had less than 500 rounds through it, about 1/3 of them magnums and I had to replace the trigger and the sear. I replaced the hand and the hand spring while I was at it. I replaced the cylinder stop and the spring, and had the cylinder de-burred. I didn't replace any of the parts with mim, though I'm not sure they were the problem, the gunsmith thought that the gun had a trigger job because the sear looked like it had been polished, it had not been polished by me and I bought NIB. Since I replaced the parts, it works like a champ again. I have a 649 that I really like too. I have a DW44 that is a nice shooter, but I'd trade it in a second for a model 29.

Personally I'd look for a 29-2. Pinned barrel, recessed cylinder, nicely fitted, great finish, and better grips. Of all the S&W revolvers I have or had the only one I have had break on me was the only new one I have bought. S&W did fix it but it took a long time. I'm sure a new 29 would be just fine though. I just prefer the revolvers pre 1982. I think they're a better investment as well.

I only had pre-Bangor-Punta Model 29s. Only a Python felt better. A friend in PDX bought one for himself a while back that would exactly replicate my long-gone 8 3/8th inch version. My three Model 29s between them had over ten thousand shots down 'em, and were still as tight as they were the day I bought them.

Happy days, eh?

tac

A little bit ago I got back from the home range. Random information and observations:

• I shot 50 rounds of Ultramax .44 Special cartridges and 20 Remington .44 Magnum cartridges.
  • No malfunctions of any kind were encountered.
  • It has a nice, smooth trigger.
  • The sights are good and I had no problem hitting what I was aiming at.
  • The .44 Specials were very pleasant to shoot.
  • The .44 Magnums were, naturally, on the peppy side. As in a good amount of recoil and muzzle-flash. But it was certainly manageable.
  • It came with a neat-o wooden box that actually fits two wheelguns.*
case.jpg

The "Pinned Barrel" on Smith and Wesson revolvers has been only a matter of "cosmetics" since 1958 when they changed their design. At that time they began using a slightly different thread on the barrel and frame. This practice continued until they began using a two piece barrel design.

Ugh, pretty envious of you right now :(

I think unless a decent used on falls upon my lap, i'll just buy a new classic. However, it'll be maybe this time next year, depending on house/baby/etc this year.

A fine place to "Hunt" for nice used Smith and Wesson revolvers etc. is the Gunshows. I'm picking up another Model 41 at the next one in Puyallup. And, considering it's a 5" Sport Barreled gun I'm getting it at an excellent price!:D:D:D

However, it'll be maybe this time next year, depending on house/baby/etc this year.

Oh, been there, done that. And it didn't help that doctor visits were up in the city and we'd often kill time at Cabelas between appointments. Lots of guns to look at, but that was totally on the back-burner due to coming little ones. The Astra copy of the C96 was particularly tempting, but I managed to skip it. Barely. :s0165:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top