JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Seems like BGC's really came to a halt about the time he made his retirement announcement. Almost like he wasn't going to stand by and watch/participate in what OSP was planning to do.
I think this might happen more than we think. I think about it more and more all the time! When I see people in positions that would seem to be a good place to be, all of a sudden decide to leave or retire, when there's a rather large change-up in their arena. I'd just bet there's under the table, hush-hush dealings to get those folks to leave quietly. There are probably more crooks in government and high places now than there have been since the gangster era. The legacy media is fully complicit with it all.

Satire
Or perhaps this may be closer to reality than I think.

Overheard phone conversation between Governor and the Program Manager of the State Background Check Process.

Guv B:
Just calling to congratulate you on the excellent job you and your staff have done in slowing down these GBC applications to a crawl (per instructions from our earlier communication). I know you have the capacity to process over 8500 a week and you have managed to slow it to 100 a week (Wow!). I know that has to be tough with the substantial increase in funding we gave you for 17 additional positions in 2021. For you to get each staff person to process less than 1 check per day is a major accomplishment. In case you have some of those workers with a (gasp) work ethic and they feel guilty about accomplishing so little at taxpayers expense, we have a remedy. You did put up those banners in your office and in each work cubicle that says "A gun purchase delayed today, Saves a life tomorrow"?

But to help this situation we are mandating a 2week training course with a nice sounding productivity title, but it's real purpose is to teach "How to look/appear really busy at work, but accomplish very little". I know that is a basic requirement for any State government job but we need to ramp this up for you folks. And to make it more attractive it will be held in Maui this winter, nice huh?
And then for the holidays we will grant all your staff a 2 week bonus of holiday vacation that does not count against the normal vacation days you get, that should really help slow stuff down huh? Don't say I'm not trying to help.

Also keep in mind with the 114 regs we can effectively really delay approvals as you will have two chances to delay the process and....

Program Manager:
I know I voted for that and...

Guv B:
Shut up and don't interrupt.
I know you voted for that as it was a prerequisite for keeping your job!
As I was saying this 114 will close the evil loophole that allows gun shops to transfer deadly firearms legally (chuckle) to those folks when we do not process in 3 days. But then we have been really successful in keeping most gun shops from doing so thru media and other methods (that I don't wish to mention). Yes we have a few evil shops doing so but 114 will shut that down and we can really delay/delay/delay. This all of course is a long term solution to keeping guns out of the hands of criminals, which we know is almost impossible, but the only way is to keep guns out of the hands of all Oregonians, and your mission is to obstruct (oops, didn't mean to use that word) the approval process and delay potential transfers. You see after very lengthy purchase delays and magazine limits and so on we are hoping those gun nuts will give up and move to Ideho or Texas or somewhere else and we can get some of our good neighbors from our southern sister state to move here.

Keep up the good work and don't worry about what our State Supreme Court will decide (grin).

Doesn't ORS 166.412 state that if the approval or disapproval doesn't come by the end of the following business day the dealer can complete the transfer? So in OR there is a 1 day waiting time.

Looks like instant BGC approvals may be all that is happening, those do not go tru the OSP morass. All others get dumped into the "pending" category that require process by OSP personnel....which seem to be taking week long coffee breaks.
I wonder if the OSP had all hands on deck, working overtime to get guns out the door before this measure was to take effect. Then those folks had to take days off on the 8-9th, because they had earned so much overtime and boss needs to keep to his payroll budget.

Doesn't ORS 166.412 state that if the approval or disapproval doesn't come by the end of the following business day the dealer can complete the transfer? So in OR there is a 1 day waiting time.
Make no difference as almost all dealers are not honoring that, whether it is interpreted as 1, 2 or 3 day. I interpret it as a 3 days but?

(c)

If the department fails to provide a unique approval number to a gun dealer or to notify the gun dealer that the purchaser is disqualified under paragraph (a) of this subsection before the close of the gun dealer's next business day following the request by the gun dealer for a criminal history record check, the gun dealer may deliver the firearm to the purchaser.
If ya gotta wait till after the close of business, of the day following the request, that gets you into the 3rd day.

but what also bugs me is they do not do this:
If the department is unable to determine if the purchaser is qualified or disqualified from completing the transfer within 30 minutes, the department shall notify the gun dealer and provide the gun dealer with an estimate of the time when the department will provide the requested information
they are NOT doing this, your number placement in line, is NOT an estimate of TIME. OSP is simply doing what they want regardless of current regs. Your place in the queue is a far cry from an estimate of time. At the current process speed my 31,500 placement will take over 300 days but they ain't lettin us know.

I wonder if the OSP had all hands on deck, working overtime to get guns out the door before this measure was to take effect. Then those folks had to take days off on the 8-9th, because they had earned so much overtime and boss needs to keep to his payroll budget.
Are you kidding me...no way'
Based on past years performance they can process over 8300 applicants a week. That was with fewer staff than now as in 2021 they got approval and funding for 17 additional staff specific to processing background checks. No, they have been doing the opposite, which is why the queue got to over 30,000.

Well.... I went up to 20,000-something for a while, now I'm at 19,000-something (and I started out at right about 16,000). At least it seems to be going in the right direction, for now... at least until they decide I need to be pushed back again for some reason...

Gotcha - just like pot 😉. So the state can pick and choose when they want to follow our own laws. I don't expect any shop to do 1 day - just noticed it in our Oregon statute and made me wonder.

Approved today; exactly 30 days (minus a couple hours). Not sure if they're having someone work on the checks that are at 30 days, the extra people they were rumored to be training are being trained on the non-chl queue, or something else. Either way I'll take it, but it's not a good sign for the other one I've been waiting on since Nov. 8.
Got to take it home Dec. 8th. Seems like the state has essentially stopped doing background checks so the last one I'm waiting on won't be happening.

So, for the VERY first time in my life I was put into the que for a background check. I have NEVER had that happen and that includes six other bgc's within the last three weeks. If this doesn't prove OSP is slow rolling then I don't know what the hel! else will luckily the dealer is awesome and will honor the 3 day release rule.

So, for the VERY first time in my life I was put into the que for a background check. I have NEVER had that happen and that includes six other bgc's within the last three weeks. If this doesn't prove OSP is slow rolling then I don't know what the hel! else will luckily the dealer is awesome and will honor the 3 day release rule.
Always hear different opinions on how many purchases will land you not getting an instant. Don't know if any of it is true.

"the dealer is awesome and will honor the 3 day release rule."

Excellent glad to see you have an FFL doing that for you. I will be picking up my Sig p320 on Tuesday one way or another.

Yep the queue has definitely stalled. I'm at 12591 in the queue with my CHL. Entered yesterday at about 11am and have not moved at all. Good thing I am also the FFL so I will just release my gun to myself after the required time.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top