JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Somebody mentioned in another thread that the background check queue is already increasing. I would like to keep a close eye on it in this thread. If you do a transfer or have access to queue line info please share the latest number.

Feel free to discuss any background check related topics surrounding Measure 114 as well.

Has anybody heard a response from OSP as to how they will handle transfers that are already in the queue beginning Jan 1st 2023 if M114 passes?
No word yet to my knowledge.

Here's a snapshot of the queue as of this morning:
IMG_2683.PNG
We have definitely seen a ramp up in sales, I've started quoting customers ~3 weeks to be safe.

I just moved to Oregon about a month ago. I recently found a sweet deal on a shotgun I've been eyeing so I purchased it at a gun shop. That was 8 days ago. Still sitting in purgatory. I'm not brushed up on the laws here but correct me if I'm wrong - isn't the dealer allowed to release the firearm after 3 business days of delay?

This seems like a SERIOUS infringement on our rights.

I just moved to Oregon about a month ago. I recently found a sweet deal on a shotgun I've been eyeing so I purchased it at a gun shop. That was 8 days ago. Still sitting in purgatory. I'm not brushed up on the laws here but correct me if I'm wrong - isn't the dealer allowed to release the firearm after 3 business days of delay?

This seems like a SERIOUS infringement on our rights.
Two comments here.
We were sold on the instant background check, when this program was instituted. There is no question that the Oregon State Police is intentionally, understaffing this program.
A friend recently purchased a suppressor and waited almost a year for the federal background check, only to be informed he then had to complete a State Background check. Then the dealer made him wait ten days, for the State Police to do their job.
In part, this is the FFL dealer who is unwilling to risk, being that dealer who gets aired out by the press, if and when the purchaser commits a crime with the recently purchased firearm. the dealer can lawfully complete the transaction but chooses not to.

Two comments here.
We were sold on the instant background check, when this program was instituted. There is no question that the Oregon State Police is intentionally, understaffing this program.
A friend recently purchased a suppressor and waited almost a year for the federal background check, only to be informed he then had to complete a State Background check. Then the dealer made him wait ten days, for the State Police to do their job.
In part, this is the FFL dealer who is unwilling to risk, being that dealer who gets aired out by the press, if and when the purchaser commits a crime with the recently purchased firearm. the dealer can lawfully complete the transaction but chooses not to.
Roger that. Thanks for the reply.

Found this right on the OSP website. I think I'll inquire tomorrow with gun shop I purchased from. I'm all for businesses to operate how they see fit but they talked a big game about rights, and freedoms, etc. Don't want to ruffle feathers just seems a bit hypocritical.

Do you guys think measure 114 has a real shot at passing?

C156FBEB-F023-4C62-8E02-DC1073D500B3.jpeg

What will happen with suppressors that are pending approval? I have on that is only 37 days in so it probably will not get approved before November.
Are CCW holders still getting instant approvals?
Excellent questions - I honestly have no idea about how it will affect NFA items yet. Most CHL holders are put towards the top of the queue and usually only have to wait ~10 mins, key word usually. Once in a while I have seen CHL holders put into the back of the line, I've had one client tell me that can happen if any databases are down or have connectivity issues so the FICS system doesn't recognize the CHL, not sure if that's true but I could definitely see it being a possibility.

I want you to know, you are a gem on this forum. It's a shame more FFLs/gun shops don't post here.
Thank you very much! It's been crazy lately but I'm trying to find time to pop in and post every once in a while.

Personally ive had instant approvals for all my firearms purchases, today i was queued for the very first time. I think the LGS said the queue was at least 3800 for non CHL and moving very slowly.

Incidentally the reputable local vendor told me today the CHL queue was over 150 within the last evening or two and moved about 80 spots over night for one customer.

From my experience ive over-heard the CHL queue was generally 0 or 1.

Maybe today was just a glitch in the matrix on my background check queueing, but my tinfoil hat says otherwise...

Has anybody heard a response from OSP as to how they will handle transfers that are already in the queue beginning Jan 1st 2023 if M114 passes?
Not from OSP, but during that debate, it was brought up that if the measure passes not all elements will go immediately into effect. There would be a schedule of cutoff dates to allow the transition, tax dollars to be allocated and progams to be put in place... with regard to the permits. My guess would be it might look something like a BGC submission cutoff date... and anything in progress would be allowed to continue until completion(?)

At the very least I highly doubt they would cancel all BGC's in progress that were initiated prior to the measure becoming law.

I sure bet the mag ban will be immediate though.

The mag ban is going to require manufacturers to retro fit new mags for so many firearms, that the thought of it is staggering. With that said, I don't see very many people discarding thier old high capacity mags anytime soon. Your just going to have to be careful where you keep them, when you use them, and how you transport them, but you'll still be able to keep them if you owned them when the law passed and for what looks like your next of kin. I don't like this law, but I'm not going to have to give up any of my guns.im still voting NO!

The mag ban is going to require manufacturers to retro fit new mags for so many firearms, that the thought of it is staggering. With that said, I don't see very many people discarding thier old high capacity mags anytime soon. Your just going to have to be careful where you keep them, when you use them, and how you transport them, but you'll still be able to keep them if you owned them when the law passed and for what looks like your next of kin. I don't like this law, but I'm not going to have to give up any of my guns.im still voting NO!
I may not have all of the firearms I may want, but I have all that I need. I empathize with those not as 'grandfathered' as I will be.

A major concern for me, not to take the discussion too far from the 'backlog topic', is THIS WILL create an undeterminable pause on (lawful)firearms transactions in Oregon for some amount of time.

It's not like there's going to be a facilitator for a smooth roll-out of the process. Sh..ucks, they can't even get the DMV, much less their OHP crap figured out to work efficiently. Does anyone think in their right mind that anyone in Salem will be concerned with expediting this legislation's enactment?

It will essentially become law, and then the burden will likely fall on those looking to do a firearm transaction to try and figure it all out themselves -- An absolute doo-doo show.

It's not going to go smoothly. We all know this.

I don't want to imagine what this is going to do to FFL dealers in the nearest term. If nobody will be able to legally acquire a firearm due to the pause... What happens to them? I'm sure that the pro-2A majority in Salem will make sure to hook them up with some forgivable PPP loans to keep 'em afloat. Yeah? :rolleyes:

The optimist in me is that somewhere somehow some lawyers have looked at this thing and thought: "This is a slam-dunk no-brainer to file a lawsuit and request for an immediate injunction", and that it's really a matter of seeing if it even passes before that measure is taken.

Several days ago at my transferring FFL I saw a CHL go through in several minutes. The counter person said it would have been around two weeks without it. Nice side benefit of having a CHL.

Instead of next year, I've personally sold 5 firearms over the last two months mainly due to the fact 114 may very well pass. A lot easier now for buyers than the mess after the November elections.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top