JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just got an email from ATF with the current wait time. I thought some people would find it interesting or depressing depending if you are waiting on an approval.

123113-eps-current-processing-times.jpg

123113-eps-current-processing-times.jpg

Putting your silencer on your SBR does not constitute manufacturing a new firearm.

Form 1 SBR
Submit a Form 1 and get approval then build your SBR. Possible routes include:
Put a stock on a pistol
Slap a short upper on an AR
Press in a short barrel into a receiver

Form 1 silencer
Submit a Form 1 and get approval then build your silencer. This includes machining the baffles, endcap, housing, etc. This is a non-trivial task

Form 4:
You buy the item from another entity (LLC/corp/trust/person/dealer), submit a Form 4, wait for approval, get approved and enjoy.

It was 10.5 months for my Form 4 trust; Forms submitted 3/29/13, received stamp 2/12/14.

According to the NFA tracker most NW forms are taking 10.5 to 11 months if forms were sent last March. I think that little chart is a bit outdated or out-of-synch with reality.

Last Edited:
I heard about the trust thing! How do you work that out and who did you go to. Anyone with experience here? What does the trust take/cost to set up.

It can take every little effort to get a trust made specifically for you. It can cost between $97 and $500 or more. It will depend on how complex your situation is. I had a trust made by GunDocx® Gun Trusts | NW Gun Law Group and have received 3 stamps so far with zero issues.

Or it can take a lot more effort and cost $0 or whatever Quicken Will costs. You can make your own with the software, or find a more generic trust online and copy that. Obviously, I chose not to go this route, but others have. I'm just more comfortable with a trust purposely written as a NFA trust.

More trust information (meaning lots more reading for you):

General Class 3 - AR15.COM
Oregon Legal links
http://www.northwestfirearms.com/nfa-weapons/18970-revocable-living-trust.html

Wow. guess the BATFE has either gotten a lot busier, or just gotten lazier in recent years.

I applied for my stamp at the end of december 08 and got my stamp and can towards the end of march 09. took just under 3 months.

IIRC it was exactly 12 weeks.

I used the living trust method.

Guess if they are going to take this long to approve, I might as well apply for a can right after I buy a lower receiver for my AR build... The rifle will take me several months to acquire all of the parts to put together anyway, and maybe the stamp will be ready for it around the time it is finished.

or maybe I will just do a form 1 and build my own can.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top