JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I was curious on any other models of guns, hand guns, pistols, rifles, shotguns, that with in the last 15 years have actually gone up in value. Im excluding 1 of X limited editions or obvious others such as a fully automatic what ever. If you can think of any, please post them here and if you want, why you think the price is more now then X amount of years ago. This can be true with new or used guns being sold currently. Some can be still in production and are almost the exact gun that sold 10 years ago. Some may have been discontinued or production was stopped.

Here are a few examples of where this thread is going or what I'm thinking.
Marlin 30/30 336 (i may have misprinted the wrong model, maybe they were/are 366), It was my first gun bought for me when I was twelve for white tail deer hunting, came with a cheap tasco scope and I thought It was even cooler then my buddy on the school bus who was given a old handed down 30-06, which actually was a nice gun, but mine was new and mine. At twelve, I never got the receipt for it, but a few years later would look at sporting goods stores adds and see the same gun for under $300. Now they are selling here used for more then that? Inflation, did the cost of the new models go up because of manufacturing cost? It is a dang good gun and I will give it to my kid when that time comes.

Next = 16 years old, saved enough for a mossberg 835 utilimag - but always wished I would have just bought a Remington 870 express. I know you could buy the Rem. for a little over $200, now new, over $300 to $400

Glocks, this has been discused - used, sell for almost new, and I have seen new go for less then the popular price range used on forums like this one.

what others and what do you think.

Used to be able to buy SKS rifles for <$100, even the Russian ones.

Springfield XD's used to be the HS2000, which you could get for $300. When SA started selling them, you could get them for $400.

Various flavors of AK-47 type rifles have gone up significantly as well. Remember SAR's and WASR's selling for $300? VEPR's for $500?

Springfield Mil-Spec 1911. Used to go for $500 brand new. Not the GI one, the one above that.

Also the McMillan Rifles, they have doubled in price. The Hungarian SA 85m rifles i bought for $240 each are going for way more than i paid.

aw, i like the ones so far, and i do agree with the Springfield 1911's, fricken rediculus used prices, even beretta 96 fs's, I know you could buy those new for $500 or a tad less. I understand these and the ones i posted earlier are only differences of $100 to $300 in differences, but going up from what cost was new, and being a used gun, especially what could be considered entry level or cheaper guns. I dont even like making a offer on these guns that are being sold because I dont want the OP to be offended, but everyone thinks their gun is worth MAX. When I sell, I post a price, which is lower then what I bought it for and heck sometimes put a price at a price i know it will sell, so I loose $100, on what I could have gotten, well, i didnt have to bump the add, 6 times, they sell in a day(s). But that is me, I save money in many other ways, but if I want a different gun or item, i look at what I dont use or want anymore, and sell it as part of the new payment, and it gets done, im not asking close to new price for a pistol just because I am not sure I want to sell it, stubborn, or have no idea of depreciation. I just think people on this site put a price on and know people will offer less, and they either get a bit more yet then its worth or after time, they will get what the gun is worth. There should be a section for SELLING GUNS - AT USED PRICE OR BELOW AND GREAT DEALS. There wouldnt be to many post in that thread on there long enough for a bump. So I guess, bit of a rant, no i, nor im sure alot of people on this thread will not buy your gun, because if they are spending over lets say $500 for a pistol that they really want, most would spend another $100 for a brand new one, and alot of times it may be less than that. Kimbers, i know how much they are new, $1,400 for mine, i traded it, and took a $250 loss, but if selling it, I would have a hard time believing too many people would be interested in it for $250 less then my receipt.

The Marlin lever action is a specific case. Marlin changed hands recently and the general concensus on the googlewebs is that the quality went to gum. Apparently it got so bad they paused production. Lever rifles are very cheap new, but also very cheaply made, so earlier used versions are climbing in price. I bought a used 1960s era 44 Magnum 336 a while back without doing much research and was a little chagrined to find new ones were so cheap, until I started to study the situation. Mine looks and functions like a quality mechanism.

Schofield replicas on Gunbroker have gone up by over $220 in the last 2 years.

Even used, I'm fairly sure that at this point that I'd make back the money I paid new at the very least, but I'm rather attached to my Top-break... Short term profit rarely appeals to me.

I will pay more for most guns made in the 70's or so (except Winchester 70's) due to the quality control. I'd rather have a nice older 10/22 or Marlin 30-30 or Remington 700 BDL or Ruger rifle or pistol of any type and I could go on. This is a fairly new concept to me based on current quality of some guns. I get tired of looking at plastic trigger groups and glass blasted metal and poor quality wood etc. etc. Same goes for the Remington 870 Express. I can find a nice Wingmaster or older Police or Winchester Defender for the same or less.

I don't think this is what you're asking, but IMHO all of my guns are worth more than I paid for them. Gun prices have gone up and with some quality has dropped.

In 1974 I bought an absolutely like new Ruger M77 tang safety in .270 with a Leupold Gold Ring 2X7 scope mounted. Couldn't tell it from new and a dealer (Kennedy's Guns) in Medford sold it to me for $200 OTD. I still have and love it. The same year I bought a new Olds Delta 88 top of the line coupe and today it's probably in a junk yard. I don't have many things which have held value like my guns.

+1 on the SKS and AK's. Even the Saigas seem to be going up a lot recently.

gunner and simonpie> i hear you on the older marlins, good quality and i did not know of the new ownership. I always look for a rifle or shotgun to buy that is a nice older model. But for example: when someone is selling....lets just say a glock 17 new, never shot, same package as anywhere, and they even lower their price and say they have to get $X dollars, which is close to a hundred more then about 10 places in 10 seconds I can order on online, or go pick up, pay taxes and or/background check, and still be $70 bucks cheaper. I understand the concept of FTF and no applying and giving personal info for a dealer sale, but this is dumb, yes i said it, stupid, these people are not average common day gun lovers. I will personaly say, this is my OPINION: these types of sales and the people who are doing them, 1) ruin a classifieds area of a great site like this. 2)Are purposelly trying to use current laws to their own advantage - I FULLY SUPPORT BUYING ONLY ftf LEGALLY FIREARMS AND DO, but you do not have to have a ph. d to put 1 and 2 together when a new firearm is being sold online for 80 to 100 more then it is selling at dealers. I again will state, THIS IS TARGETING THE SALE OF A FIRE ARM TO SOMEONE WITH A D.L AND DOESNT APPEAR TO BE 1 of the requirements against a FTF sale.
I have had a bad day and this is getting off track of the original post, but , I think its true, and gives this site and others a bad rap. sell for what ever you want too, but certain things stick out.

Quality fire arms increase in value at about the same rate of inflation. 2-3% a year, 15 years that can as much as 45%. Stuff I bought in the late 60's and 70's has gone up over 1000% in some case, mostly mil-surps, even more on a few rare items, but most follow the inflation rate.

Simonpie hit the nail on the head for the very best example of a gun that is still in production (albeit from a different manufacturer). Marlin levers (most especially the .357, 44 Magnum 1894's) are skyrocketing in price for the "JM" marked guns, and even more for the pre-button-safety models. Rumors abound about Cerebrus (sp?), the parent company now for Remington, et al, actually stopping production because of quality concerns about the "Remlins". A decent pre-safety 357 or .44 Magnum carbine will now easily bring 400-700 dollars!

These guns brought "premium" prices (for a used gun) even prior to the New Haven factory shutting its doors, for the very simple reason that quality and accuracy was second to none. Now that no more true Marlins will EVER be available again, those who have one or two are looking for three or four. It is my sincere hope that the new manufacturer realizes they have an uphill climb to meet the original standard. Now that "poor" guns got out, they have to do even BETTER than original to gain back the devotion of knowlegable shooters.

I happen to own a few guns (if you count them, you are admitting you have a problem--I am firmly esconced in denial stage). Some of them are highly tuned, there are a few that are custom-made. One of the most accurate guns I own is a Marlin 336RC .30-30 made in 1948. It sports a Lyman Alaskan scope, post reticle, 2.5x. At 100 yards, this gun challenges firmly my fat-barreled prairie-dog surgical instruments (with their much higher power optics, and supposedly more "inherently accurate cartridges") for group size. Action as smooth as a wet teenage girl's you-know-what (Yes, I can still remember how smooth that was.) THIS is the Marlin legend that will be no more, and why these guns are worth what they're worth.

yada, yada, yada... I will personaly say, this is my OPINION: these types of sales and the people who are doing them, 1) ruin a classifieds area of a great site like this. 2)Are purposelly trying to use current laws to their own advantage - I FULLY SUPPORT BUYING ONLY ftf LEGALLY FIREARMS AND DO, but you do not have to have a ph. d to put 1 and 2 together when a new firearm is being sold online for 80 to 100 more then it is selling at dealers. I again will state, THIS IS TARGETING THE SALE OF A FIRE ARM TO SOMEONE WITH A D.L AND DOESNT APPEAR TO BE 1 of the requirements against a FTF sale.
I have had a bad day and this is getting off track of the original post, but , I think its true, and gives this site and others a bad rap. sell for what ever you want too, but certain things stick out.

weekly posts whining about the outrageous prices people are asking for their own stuff is what is ruining the classified section on this forum. jeez man, you started this thread and everyone else is actually participating with your original question and every post you make is that classifieds is full of rip offs or people marketing and selling to criminals or some other horsecrap bs about stuff not being worth what people are asking for their own stuff. what is your problem?

I have made some good scores here, and seen some ads that made me chuckle. I just can't figure out the mentality of folks that will bich and moan about what someone wants for their own stuff. what really sours the classifieds on this board are all the experts that know to the penny what every piece offered for sale here is really worth and then have to chime in about how stupid or dishonest they are. weekly it seems, there are stupid posts about how people are stupid, dreaming or whatever because they are asking too much for this or that piece. I have recently sold a couple of pistols on other boards, even when I would have rather posted here and been able to do a ftf or not had to ship but I'm not willing to put up with the bs that goes with the expert gun value people here. no other forum I frequent has the whining that goes on here about the pricing of stuff in classifieds.

the simple hard fact is, something is worth what someone will pay for it. period. doesn't matter whether you think it is worth it or not. it takes more time to whine about it than to move on to the next thread. where do you come off telling people what their stuff is worth? don't like it? don't buy it...very simple concept, one that has been around forever...LOL

I wouldn't have even commented on this thread except for the lame attempt at getting people to listen to your weekly whine about the pricing in classifieds...

now there's a rant for ya...

weekly posts whining about the outrageous prices people are asking for their own stuff is what is ruining the classified section on this forum. jeez man, you started this thread and everyone else is actually participating with your original question and every post you make is that classifieds is full of rip offs or people marketing and selling to criminals or some other horsecrap bs about stuff not being worth what people are asking for their own stuff. what is your problem?

I have made some good scores here, and seen some ads that made me chuckle. I just can't figure out the mentality of folks that will bich and moan about what someone wants for their own stuff. what really sours the classifieds on this board are all the experts that know to the penny what every piece offered for sale here is really worth and then have to chime in about how stupid or dishonest they are. weekly it seems, there are stupid posts about how people are stupid, dreaming or whatever because they are asking too much for this or that piece. I have recently sold a couple of pistols on other boards, even when I would have rather posted here and been able to do a ftf or not had to ship but I'm not willing to put up with the bs that goes with the expert gun value people here. no other forum I frequent has the whining that goes on here about the pricing of stuff in classifieds.

the simple hard fact is, something is worth what someone will pay for it. period. doesn't matter whether you think it is worth it or not. it takes more time to whine about it than to move on to the next thread. where do you come off telling people what their stuff is worth? don't like it? don't buy it...very simple concept, one that has been around forever...LOL

I wouldn't have even commented on this thread except for the lame attempt at getting people to listen to your weekly whine about the pricing in classifieds...

now there's a rant for ya...

laugh all you want and call me a bichher about the price of classified prices, In the last year and a half, on average, you can find about 5% good deals, 25% average deals, and the rest want the same or similar to retail. Tell me how this over time, does not create a trend of firearm prices being set right at the point of posting. If you are going to critiuqe my post, and not know what my true personal opinions are, or state false things against a opinion of mine, line up your facts dude. one of the first 30 members of this board that still trades, sells, and buys, said to me straight up, the old school guys mark up high, and may go down, then the newbies follow because they don't know any better. so you tell me what Im missing or why I am unjustly whining. Im happy that my old marlin 30-30 336 is worth more, because I have 5 of them. so tell me why I should not voice a opinion on how it craps this site when someone is selling a spring 1911-a1, like new condition but unknown round count for higher than retail. that hurts the overall classified section. and if no one else wants to admit to it, maybe thats why i dont even look anymore for guns on here, cause I already know what they are going to be posted at, new or used, same as at a good dealer or a online source.

this post did start in 1 direction and i did get the answers i was looking for, and yes, I did go into a different direction, not looking for viewer like you for what ever reason. and yes, i did add comments that i felt did come from the original question, even after they were answered. and then expanded on it. should i have started a new thread just so people like you would be happy. dont read my threads for now on and you wont have to get upset because of personal PMS.

i agree with you on this too. The only example I can relate to is a few older hunting rifles. A old beautiful wood grain Rem. 700 and a incredible old browning semi auto.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews