JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Weird names don't always jump the line. Mine's as weird as they get (for starters, it's a mononym), criminal record near-nonexistent (one misdemeanor speeding in the middle of nowhere), and only about 1/3 of my 4473 processing times since COVID were less than a week. Currently waiting on one for a week and counting, but I did take the mag home already.
I assume that having any record in Oregon at all automatically puts you in the queue for human review, though I obviously can't verify that.

This was in AZ - which I'm told is unique for non-expungement of records - not OR where I'ven't gotten so much as a parking ticket, but I suppose whatever database this is in gets shared? Anyone else have datapoints to confirm or deny?

Depends. For most people, if you've cleared a background check in the last five years, OSP still has you on file and you should go through quickly.
Depends, indeed.

I have an expunged misdemeanor and passed a BGC in October of 2020, which took 2 weeks. Then I passed one in September of this year, also took 2 weeks. Then it took 20+ days to clear my BGC submitted on 10/29 of this year.

I don't think anyone really has any clue how things work over at OSP.

Update #3 Sportsman's Wearhouse is going to continue to distribute firearms including the 10+ round magazines up until December 18th, or until an another court order forces them to stop.

I'm still annoyed they won't release the mags now but at least they aren't stopping the process until the injunction ends on December 18th.
I think the moral of the story is that Sportsman's should get out of the gun biz and or folks should work with local FFL's going forward. All the locals that I deal with understand that after 72 hours in the que equals take your gun and go home.

I have my horror story with SW and will not be shopping there again. Too many better options. A few of the staff (who were great and doing their best) at the Hillsboro local told me they never buy from SW.

I purchased 4 other times during the last couple of weeks with locals and had zero problems other than a half hour-hour wait in a cool store with cool folks.

I think the moral of the story is that Sportsman's should get out of the gun biz and or folks should work with local FFL's going forward. All the locals that I deal with understand that after 72 hours in the que equals take your gun and go home.

I have my horror story with SW and will not be shopping there again. Too many better options. A few of the staff (who were great and doing their best) at the Hillsboro local told me they never buy from SW.

I purchased 4 other times during the last couple of weeks with locals and had zero problems other than a half hour-hour wait in a cool store with cool folks.
"cool store with cool folks"

Which store, price and are they still doing transfers?

"cool store with cool folks"

Which store, price and are they still doing transfers?
Not sure now, as of last Monday on the transfers. I worked with Tigard Pawn 4 More, OR Rifle Works, NW Armory, and Bear...

I would call ahead and get approval to send. People skills and good relations go along way right now.

Weird names don't always jump the line. Mine's as weird as they get (for starters, it's a mononym), criminal record near-nonexistent (one misdemeanor speeding in the middle of nowhere), and only about 1/3 of my 4473 processing times since COVID were less than a week. Currently waiting on one for a week and counting, but I did take the mag home already.
Yeah I have no idea why my BGC goes so quick. I have gotten two guns in the past 3 weeks, and both BGCs took 20 minutes tops. The second gun shop guy said maybe it's because my name. He was shocked I didn't have my CW.

Given the extension asked for by Oregon DOJ to allow background checks to continue without permit will likely be granted, Does anyone know the following:
1) Can FFLs provide you your magazines now while background checks complete?
2) If not can FFLs still transfer your firearm without magazines? (assuming magazine ban goes into effect immediately, which is extremely like)

For example you have a concealed carry gun like the Springfield hellcat on order which comes with 15 round magazines. There are 10 round magazines available to purchase separately. Can the retailer/FFL transfer you the firearm you have been waiting weeks to receive without the 15 round magazines?

3) if neither of the above are yes, and FFL/retailer refuses to transfer my firearm (having been in the background check queue for weeks already) , will there be legal grounds to sue the state of Oregon for denial of my rights? I will have attempted to legally purchase a firearm following every step of the law only to be turned away and not receive said firearm due to the states inability (purposeful or otherwise) to process a background check on a legally purchased firearm.
I raised a similar question at Sportsmans Warehouse and their policy, assuming the employee correctly understood it, is that the gun was originally packaged as a 15-shot, and therefore may not be delivered to you. Even if you buy 10 shot mags, and let them keep the 15, it would still be a NO.

Depends. For most people, if you've cleared a background check in the last five years, OSP still has you on file and you should go through quickly.
I cleared a BGC 3 weeks ago…. now I'm currently 2 weeks waiting for my second purchase….. and I haven't moved forward in the queu for days.

Leads me believe their system is extremely stupid in how the database is structured. I would think a query should be run daily matching up new purchase requests with recent BGC clears…. But apparently whoever coded the system was a complete retard.

I agree, it SHOULD, but it aint happenin.
You incorrectly assume there is some logic and rationale to the process.
Background check completed 3 months ago in 3 days. Now new check placed at 37,500 back of the list.

Unusual last name, civil service nuclear security clearance (Puget Sound Naval Shipyard) go anywhere-radiation protection, over a dozen security clearances for civilian nuclear plants. This ought to help - always instant BGC.

Unusual last name, civil service nuclear security clearance (Puget Sound Naval Shipyard) go anywhere-radiation protection, over a dozen security clearances for civilian nuclear plants. This ought to help - always instant BGC.
I was told that the security clearance BGC is in a different section of the FBI database and is not connected to NICS. You can get a badge at a nuc plant right away but it has no bearing on what NIC is searching, at least that's what I was told when I asked about it. I believe DOE clearances are also maintained separately.

I was told that the security clearance BGC is in a different section of the FBI database and is not connected to NICS. You can get a badge at a nuc plant right away but it has no bearing on what NIC is searching, at least that's what I was told when I asked about it. I believe DOE clearances are also maintained separately.
It took 6 months to get my security clearance for PSNS.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top