JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Given the extension asked for by Oregon DOJ to allow background checks to continue without permit will likely be granted, Does anyone know the following:
1) Can FFLs provide you your magazines now while background checks complete?
2) If not can FFLs still transfer your firearm without magazines? (assuming magazine ban goes into effect immediately, which is extremely like)

For example you have a concealed carry gun like the Springfield hellcat on order which comes with 15 round magazines. There are 10 round magazines available to purchase separately. Can the retailer/FFL transfer you the firearm you have been waiting weeks to receive without the 15 round magazines?

3) if neither of the above are yes, and FFL/retailer refuses to transfer my firearm (having been in the background check queue for weeks already) , will there be legal grounds to sue the state of Oregon for denial of my rights? I will have attempted to legally purchase a firearm following every step of the law only to be turned away and not receive said firearm due to the states inability (purposeful or otherwise) to process a background check on a legally purchased firearm.

Last Edited:
This is going to be a real problem if the mag ban is not put on hold. Customers should understand that the FFL has to follow the unconstitutional law or risk losing their license. It is going to put FFLs in a difficult position of dealing with customer's personal property. Hopefully most customers will understand the FFLs obligations to follow the BS law.

With thousands in the queue that wont make it before the 8th, can there be a class action lawsuit against the state for theft of property? Technically the pre-8th standard mags are personal property now.

Thanks everyone, I went to my ffl and they released the firearm and magazines under the 3 day rule. (I will be a customer for life, assuming they survive.

Now onto Sportsman's Wearhouse
I do have have one other purchase in limbo, and it's at sportsmans wearhouse. I foolishly ordered from them because I really liked the sportsman's wearhouse edition Springfield xdm elite 10mm. Now I'm worried because they won't release the magazines to me (at least as of this am) and by the time the BCG clears I will be screwed. Not sure if they will sell me the firearm without the mags or if they will cancel the sale all together.

Is there anyone on this forum who has a contact within Sportsman's Wearhouse I can speak with? The kind people working the counters have no answers sadly.

I went in today to pickup my gun and got an instant approval. Took more time to fill out the 4473 and pay than it did to get approved
Congrats sir, I can only assume you have a unique name. I know someone is who instant cleared 2 background checks, put in the queue for his 3rd background check (cleared after a week), and instant cleared on his 4th background check. No logical reason for the non clear to me.

Personally I cleared one background check after a week in November, then I was trapped in the queue on my second purchase for 3 weeks and counting.

Apparently the system isn't smart enough to see you already cleared another background check a few days prior….. imagine being the programmer who wrote this database, Jesus what a bubblegum show it must be.

I replied on another thread but adding it here to keep it all in one place:

I just left Sportsman's Wearhouse in Medford and as of 1:30 pm dec 7th and they are not releasing magazines (over 10 Roounds) for guns stuck in the background check line.

Manager told me they were having a meeting with the top brass at 4pm and if they are going to release magazines instructions would be handed down to them then.

The sales people are all working hard but the lack of direction (and lack of urgency) from corporate makes me never want to do business with Sportsman's Wearhouse again.

Yes I did the same from another ffl purchase. Most FFLs will give you your magazines.

As far as I know Sportsmams Wearhouse is the only store in the state that will not give you your magazines before the ban goes into effect tomorrow. (Possibly cabellas is the same, I don't know for sure).

The irony of all of this is that I only bought from Sportsman's Wearhouse because I wanted the special Sportsman's edition of the Springfield XDM Elite 10mm gun. (bubblegum me right o_O)

Update #2, just left sportsman's in Medford Oregon around 4:30 pm dec 7th and they still have no clearance from corporate to release magazines. I was told maybe by 6pm they would have a decision.
at this point it's pretty clear that at 6 pm they will just be telling people to go home.

They also explained that corporate policy is to not break up the sku, so what is likely to happen is they refund everyone their money, then start the process again under a different sku (Gun with no magazines). That means restarting the background check at the end of the line which we all know means you will never get the firearm.

So in the end ordering from sportsman's ended up being a huge waste of my time and I will likely never shop there again.

Update #3 Sportsman's Wearhouse is going to continue to distribute firearms including the 10+ round magazines up until December 18th, or until an another court order forces them to stop.

I'm still annoyed they won't release the mags now but at least they aren't stopping the process until the injunction ends on December 18th.

Does the FFL incure a risk for the cost of the mags if the law is upheld and they have to return the gun back to the seller?

we'll once the firearm is in the hands of the FFL they are now the owner. If they want to return it (due to a failed background check) they could then seek the refund. But remember You are the one who paid for the firearm in full.

So yes I believe FFLs might be exposing themselves to some lost revenue by handing out the mags early but the majority of the exposure is on you the buyer since you paid for the firearm fully already.

Given the extension asked for by Oregon DOJ to allow background checks to continue without permit will likely be granted, Does anyone know the following:
1) Can FFLs provide you your magazines now while background checks complete?
2) If not can FFLs still transfer your firearm without magazines? (assuming magazine ban goes into effect immediately, which is extremely like)

For example you have a concealed carry gun like the Springfield hellcat on order which comes with 15 round magazines. There are 10 round magazines available to purchase separately. Can the retailer/FFL transfer you the firearm you have been waiting weeks to receive without the 15 round magazines?

3) if neither of the above are yes, and FFL/retailer refuses to transfer my firearm (having been in the background check queue for weeks already) , will there be legal grounds to sue the state of Oregon for denial of my rights? I will have attempted to legally purchase a firearm following every step of the law only to be turned away and not receive said firearm due to the states inability (purposeful or otherwise) to process a background check on a legally purchased firearm.
I just picked up my Palmetto State Armory AR-15 from my FFL in Salem this morning. Didn't even bat an eye at the 30 round mag included. My background check also went through in 10 minutes and I walked out with the gun. I do not have my CW. I guess it pays to have a weird/unusual last name.

Weird names don't always jump the line. Mine's as weird as they get (for starters, it's a mononym), criminal record near-nonexistent (one misdemeanor speeding in the middle of nowhere), and only about 1/3 of my 4473 processing times since COVID were less than a week. Currently waiting on one for a week and counting, but I did take the mag home already.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top