JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
most turned their firearms in.

I have a good friend who lives in Christchurch and like most crown territories they don't value firearm rights like we do.

most turned their firearms in.
Most did not turn them in...

From the article I linked to:
(emphasis is mine)

"...The program ran from June 20-December 20, 2019. Compliant gun owners were treated to poor compensation and a breach of their personal data.
At the end of the confiscation program the government had collected roughly 56,000 firearms. A June 2019 report from consulting firm KPMG had estimated that there were as many as 173,000 newly-prohibited firearms in the country. New Zealand gun rights group, the Council of Licensed Firearms Owners estimated that 170,000 prohibited firearms were still in the hands of Kiwis after the confiscation program."

Using the more conservative numbers from KPMG, the numbers would say that only 32.4% of the firearms were confiscated/turned in.
Less than a third is not what I would call "most".
YMMV...

That's certainly interesting. All I know about this is what my friend has told me and he is saying most turned them in. They also have the issue that the NZ government really has no idea how many prohibited firearms are in the hands of their citizens.

Sounds about right...
The NZ gub'mint. didn't know, so they hired an accounting firm (KPMG) to figure it out. KPMG came back with a number of as many as 173k "evil-bad" guns.
The NZ gub'mint confiscated 56k of that estimated 173k "evil-bad" guns, or slightly less than a third of them.
A NZ-based gun rights group estimates that almost as many "evil-bad" guns remain in the hands of NZ gun owners than the accounting firm estimated existed in the first place.

So who do you believe? The NZ gub'mint or the gun rights group?
For me, having spent some time amongst Kiwis in my travels, I don't believe that "...most turned their firearms in..." :s0002:

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR