JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My theory on the second (or more) round ringing the barrel is that the second bullet traps air between it and the first bullet. It compresses that air as it travels, until it reaches the base of the first bullet. At that point, the trapped air has compressed into zero space, and the pressure is immense. This pressure is highly concentrated at the point of the eventual ring. The barrel "gives" slightly, until the pressure drops below the yield strength of the steel, and then the diameter of the barrel rebounds until it reaches its new, larger, diameter in the area of the ring.

This is the only reason I can think of for the ring to form, since all other possibilities seem to spread the pressure over an area larger than the ring.

LAX finally got back to me and asked for a copy of my driver's license so that they can reimburse me for the gunsmith fee. Seems like an odd request considering they have my address and order history, and presumably my credit card? Why would they need my driver's license?

Also thank you @Mike86 for your post, I will be purchasing some dowels for any future squib loads.

I was lucky enough to have a squibb in my Colt 1903 Pocket model where the barrel is removable. I used a wooden dowel and padded the muzzle end of the barrel perpendicular to my vise jaws with a piece of leather. I pushed the stuck bullet out of the barrel by screwing down on the vice to push on the dowel. Worked perfectly. This was caused by using ammunition I found in the bottom of my dad's old ammunition box. The hardware store whose price label was on the box went out of business around 1975, so it was at least 40 years old at the time, maybe more like 60 years. I disposed of the rest of the ammo in that box.

Water is not compressable, which is why he used it and the parafin wax plug and 3 grains of powder is definitely not enough to pus the barrekl to it's max pressures. He loaded those blanks with just enough power to force the slug out, I personally don't find that dangerous to the mechanical worings of any of the weapons he put in that video. I was surprised at how effective it was for the revolver, until I realized that the wax plug reduced the amount of pressure lost through the gap between the cylinder and barrel.

The station he made was remote, notice that he wasn't in the area when firing, this is further safety in case the blank round was accidentally loaded with more powder than intended, by accident, just like a squib load is lacking powder sufficient to push the bullet out of the barrel by accident... I think he covered his bases sufficiently safety wise.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top