JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Jamie has it. I'm usually long-winded, but will condense his reply: If you can see your front sight, and you can see your target, and your gun is capable of the consistency needed, you can train yourself to hit at long range.

And, don't forget Elmer Keith's deliberate and witnessed killing of a mule deer at 600 yards with a .44 pistol.

That is an amazing shot.

At 500 yds with a 250gr bullet you have a 200 inch (16+feet) hold over and energy is down around 400lbs, amazing shot.

Well there is alot of difference between a rifle and a pistol at that distance. And even Keith by his own account made 2/4 shots and missed the first two shots at that deer. But to even get close at 600 yards with a 44 mag pistol is impressive.

Tri-County Gun Club has a 600 yard range. It isn't always open, but it is on a regular basis. I've used it once with iron sights and was concerned about seeing the 17 inch bullseye. It turned out that it looked like a period at the end of this sentence. But i can see it, so i can aim for it!

I scored 56 out of a possible 80 points. Hitting the black more than half the shots i took. I don't claim to be a great shot, so i can safely say it can be done. It was a lot of fun and i can't wait to go again.

As hinted to earlier, part of the Marine marksmanship qual is prone fire on man sized targets at 500 yards.

In the past I have pulled targets at Douglas Ridge on the 1000 yard line during M1 Garand matches. Granted these are dedicated shooters often with custom guns, but they were all using standard iron sights. It was an eye opening experience to consistently see groups no bigger than a pie plate.

I have to laugh about the guy the other day who was telling me about his 2.5" groups at 1000yd with a Ruger Mini-30... :s0112: All I could do was smile and nod.

But I've qualified expert with an M16A2 in the past, it's not impossible but it sure isn't easy. With pop-up targets and a rifle sighted in for 300m you're aiming at the center of the chest of the 300m targets (which are pretty much the same width as the front sight post at that distance), holding under for the mid range targets, and then back near center for the 25m targets. Iron sights are all about good technique and good vision IMO.

Two decades ago I could hit the man sized target at 500 yards with an M16A1 with iron sights. Nowadays with an M4 I rarely hit the 300m pop up target... Even with glasses, the eyes just don't work the same. :( Give me an optic, even just an Aimpoint, and I'm good to go again... :)

Anyone see the program on the Out Door channel where the 84 year old EX US Army SNIPER shot a 3 shot 5" group at 1,000 yds with a modern US Army sniper rifle ???

Some of you nay Sayers should googel it up and watch it.

DAB

Just one zero to many is all.

Heck, I think that's still about twice as accurate as a mini-30 could do. :D

Anyone see the program on the Out Door channel where the 84 year old EX US Army SNIPER shot a 3 shot 5" group at 1,000 yds with a modern US Army sniper rifle ???

Some of you nay Sayers should googel it up and watch it.

DAB

With an m24 and optics that's possible for a trained, skilled shooter. I guarantee he can recite his techniques from sniper training 50+ years ago.

Billy Dixon is said to have shot as Indian off a horse at Adobe Walls at something over 1500 yards with open sights and black powder. It's been recreated as doable. It was a .50-90 with a 625 grain projectile. It would have been in the air something like 10 seconds.

As has been said, practice, practice, practice.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top