JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am watching and reading about reloading my own ammo. Was wondering in anyone was local that has a decent setup be willing to entertain a quest and walk him thru the reloading process. I am mainly wantimg to reload my 308 as the prices for ammo keel rising. But since I have my 223 and my 9mm why not. Ohh and I just remembered I can do my 30/6 as well

Msg me if your local to the newberg Oregon area and wouldn't mind a sidekick next time you reload. I can bring my own 308 u processed brass

Thanks
James

To bad you are so far away. I have had new people come over and go through the procesd.i have two single stage lock n load presses set up and I have a lot of different caliber dies set up for people to use.
If some one comes over and by chance I don't have the caliber of dies they need I look on E bay and buy a set for them to use.
I also buy extra bullets for the different calibers at the gun shows or from a couple of reloader dealers.

Hello, Being relatively new to reloading I wanted to pass on what I have learned about the process. Reloading came as a necessity for my desire to have match grade ammo, to feed the non-standard barrel twist rates of my gunsmith projects.

First thing I did was buy a RCBS kit with a Rockchucker press, powder thrower, scale and the other goodies. Around two years later the only thing I still use out of that kit is the press.

If precision ammo is your game I would avoid all reloading kits. That means you need to be prepared to spend around $1000 or more while you piece together the best tools for that job. That may seem like an unreasonable amount of money but I think you will get there before you know it.

The real investment will be the time it takes to prep and reload ammo. For me it hasn't been a simple walk into the garage and in an hour I have 150 rounds loaded and ready to hit the range. This is the approximate time for me.

Case prep
  1. De-prime cases - 20min.
  2. Trim cases - 45min.
  3. Size cases - 45min.
  4. Tumble brass - 30min.
  5. Prime cases - 30min.
  6. Chargemaster-lite throw powder and seat bullets - 120min.
Approximate time for 150 precision rounds -
5 HOURS!

I would be very curious to learn how fast people can reload ammo that simply goes bang at the range using a progressive setup. But in the end you will always have your brass prep and equipment setup time bogging down the process.

What's my point? I would not reccomend getting into reloading to save money. If your reloading vanilla 5.56, 7.62, or 9mm current bulk prices are going to be hard to beat.

Please take everything written above with a grain of salt. I do find great enjoyment in the problem solving challenges of great reloads. In the end if you want to do it, I say give it a go. Of course make sure you search the classifieds adds here for deals.

I hope someone near you reaches out so you can see it all for yourself.

I'm a definate Reloader Newbie, since I have been doing it as a hobby for only 8 months or so. A friend got me into it and helped me get started with the steps involved and what it takes to do the job right. The first thing I found out for myself is if you want to do this to save money, you will be spending a concerted amount of time in front of your reloading bench. What is your time worth? Or is it really a worthwhile and enjoyable hobby?

Now after spending even the short amount of time at it (and by no means an expert), it has definately become a hobby. I like spending time working on various reloading projects, learning about and trying new techniques, and then looking at the end-product when I am done. Since I am a retired Engineer, I see this as "a science experiment in every round", considering all of the variables that are involved in producing ammunition using your own two hands that "won't blow your face off". :)

1st: fixed your spelling error in the title. Changed "Amy" to "my".

2nd:
Find a Sensei.

In today's age, I highly advise finding somebody to learn from that's available to help through a process.

My door is open if you are ever down this way, bring a notebook for notes. I've walked and taught many people through reloading processes in my equipment and then on theirs.

I have the ability to load those 4 calibers you mentioned. IraqVeteran8888 has a good all around "how to" reload video, I'll dig and see if I can find it. It's a good basic intro.

And, don't believe somebody if they say "you have to get xyz equipment". It's a lie.

Last Edited:
i can load about 500 308 in 3-4 hrs total time invested(not including drying time), i could probably get it lower but i like to triple check everything every time i put a new tube of primers in.
1) I prefer to use new or R-P brass from diamond k brass, but if it needs it i start with a dillon super swage 600 (about 1 hr to do 500 rounds)
2) I use a dillon 650 with the RT1500 Electric Case Trimmer.(about 30 minutes to do 500 including head swap ect) I used to use a little crow trimmer but it was too slow for my liking.
3) I use a Frankford Arsenal rotary tumbler and then dry them in a Presto Dehydrator ( about 1-1 1/2 hr depending on how fast i can separate the stainless steel pins, and then i set the dryer and leave it for 3 hrs or overnight)
4) I load em up in a dillon 650 (here it takes me 30-45 min with head swap and such)

I would strongly suggest learning the process' on a single stage press and develop a feel for each step. more comes with that method.
There will always be hiccups in the learning process, but we have all been there!
stuck case, to much/not enough lube, bullets too deep/too long ect.
one doesn't need cadillac equipment, nova will work fine, has for many years.
When you get it all down and a feel for, maybe then, a progressive machine.
You gotta learn to walk before you can learn to run!

Hello, Being relatively new to reloading I wanted to pass on what I have learned about the process. Reloading came as a necessity for my desire to have match grade ammo, to feed the non-standard barrel twist rates of my gunsmith projects.

First thing I did was buy a RCBS kit with a Rockchucker press, powder thrower, scale and the other goodies. Around two years later the only thing I still use out of that kit is the press.

If precision ammo is your game I would avoid all reloading kits. That means you need to be prepared to spend around $1000 or more while you piece together the best tools for that job. That may seem like an unreasonable amount of money but I think you will get there before you know it.

The real investment will be the time it takes to prep and reload ammo. For me it hasn't been a simple walk into the garage and in an hour I have 150 rounds loaded and ready to hit the range. This is the approximate time for me.

Case prep
  1. De-prime cases - 20min.
  2. Trim cases - 45min.
  3. Size cases - 45min.
  4. Tumble brass - 30min.
  5. Prime cases - 30min.
  6. Chargemaster-lite throw powder and seat bullets - 120min.
Approximate time for 150 precision rounds -
5 HOURS!

I would be very curious to learn how fast people can reload ammo that simply goes bang at the range using a progressive setup. But in the end you will always have your brass prep and equipment setup time bogging down the process.

What's my point? I would not reccomend getting into reloading to save money. If your reloading vanilla 5.56, 7.62, or 9mm current bulk prices are going to be hard to beat.

Please take everything written above with a grain of salt. I do find great enjoyment in the problem solving challenges of great reloads. In the end if you want to do it, I say give it a go. Of course make sure you search the classifieds adds here for deals.

I hope someone near you reaches out so you can see it all for yourself.

Reloading is what I consider very subjective. I'm glad someone new to the game has responded. It does, indeed, take time and patience. IF there is ever a time when you feel like you are in a race to get it done, you need to step back and slow down a bit. OR it will bite you in the butt. Reloading is not for the faint of heart. You have to be on your toes every step of the way. However, there are ways to simplify the process. The oldtimers here that have been loading for a long time can help with these processes. As for the Rockchucker supreme reloading kit, that is the one I always suggest new hand loaders buy. I'll show a picture of the components I have kept from the kit:
lz3Wibp.jpg

As you can see, I've kept a lot of the original components. RCBS is one of the best companies you can buy from too because they stand behind their products. I've had them send me new cutters, decapping pins, die sets etc.. What I have changed, however, was the cheap powder trickler, trimmer and that's about it. You can see my home made brass (heavy) trickler in the picture. I don't have a picture of my frankford arsenal prep center. That is one tool, I urge every new hand loader to go out and buy, plus a good tumbler. You want your brass to be trimmed and chamfered and clean when you prime it and get ready to start putting powder in. Now, I'm not just talking about precision ammo here. It's ALL ammo that I reload. I can trust my handloads 100%. Unless there is a primer failure or some other parts malfunction, you can bet the powder charge is exact and the brass has been inspected to the best of my ability. That's another thing, keep an eye on your brass. Keep track of how many times its been reloaded. During the reloading process, I am always inspecting my brass. Always. I don't consider my ammo as "precision" ammo, but it is always loaded to less than .003" TIR and it is accurate. Brass prep is an extremely important step in hand loading, after that, it's just icing on the cake. After prep is done, I can load 300 rounds per hour for the little .223/556 and this load works equally well in my AR's and bolt gun:
tjU2tqT.jpg
QxUlqug.jpg
3yTt2jU.jpg

I can also load the same amount of rounds for my AR10 308:
DcHjEYx.jpg

It is "subjective", only because there are many different people telling you their way is the best.

I would strongly suggest learning the process' on a single stage press and develop a feel for each step. more comes with that method.
There will always be hiccups in the learning process, but we have all been there!
stuck case, to much/not enough lube, bullets too deep/too long ect.
one doesn't need cadillac equipment, nova will work fine, has for many years.
When you get it all down and a feel for, maybe then, a progressive machine.
You gotta learn to walk before you can learn to run!

Excellent post..

I am watching and reading about reloading my own ammo. Was wondering in anyone was local that has a decent setup be willing to entertain a quest and walk him thru the reloading process. I am mainly wantimg to reload my 308 as the prices for ammo keel rising. But since I have my 223 and my 9mm why not. Ohh and I just remembered I can do my 30/6 as well

Msg me if your local to the newberg Oregon area and wouldn't mind a sidekick next time you reload. I can bring my own 308 u processed brass

Thanks
James
James it's good to watch vids on reloading and you are on the right track reaching out for help.

1st: fixed your spelling error in the title. Changed "Amy" to "my".

2nd:
Find a Sensei.

In today's age, I highly advise finding somebody to learn from that's available to help through a process.

My door is open if you are ever down this way, bring a notebook for notes. I've walked and taught many people through reloading processes in my equipment and then on theirs.

I have the ability to load those 4 calibers you mentioned. IraqVeteran8888 has a good all around "how to" reload video, I'll dig and see if I can find it. It's a good basic intro.

And, don't believe somebody if they say "you have to get xyz equipment". It's a lie.

No offense, but some people can learn just fine on their own. That's how I did it.... Now, if the op is not one of those people, then yes a sensai is a great step in learning...

Last Edited:
Now, if the op is not one of those people, then yes a sensai is a great step in learning...

I won't take offense as long as I'm not called a pot head.

When it comes to intuitive learning....

Some are blessed with it, not all, some are good self taught learners and I am lucky to be one and I can absorb information fast and retain well.

There are three types of learners. Those who can read something and retain, some who listen and retain and then some who need to work through a process physically to learn. The addition of a mentor for their first consultation gives 2 of 3 learning methods, the reading happens at home before or after their first hand experience. Some also may go use hands on and realize that reloading isn't for them. I've had that happen with people, I still leave the option to use my equipment if they ever want to.

As Deadeye found out years ago, when he started helping me, there are always little questions that are hard to get answers for.

The internet and reloading community on this forum has grown greatly since 2010 when I started reloading and it is a great resource, but sometimes there is that one question....

you'll probably notice that I take a fairly relaxed approach and a conservative method to things on this forum especially when it comes to dropping a couple hundred in equipment only to find it's not your thing, which is the hands on approach.

:D

Lots of good info above. Few other suggestions. Understand the difference between handloading and reloading. I handload to develop rounds that sing in my guns or have a special purpose (e.g. light loads for my 2" 38 or shotgun shells that match factory or lighter). Reloading is for bulking up the ammo stocks. Both have their purpose for me. After several decades I'm finally about to invest in a progressive press so up to now my reloading has been on a single stage press. Not super cost effective considering time but I enjoy it. At the relatively low cost of ammo at the moment I'm mostly buying factory, stocking up on empty cases.

I pretty much learned completely on my own, starting when I was in high school, B.Y. (Before YouTube), so I read everything I could and talked with smart, trusted folks at the gun shop. You are smart looking for personal guidance. But confirm what you are told.

Good luck and keep the good questions coming!

As mentioned, start with a single stage press.

I'd also get yourself a good starter reloading manual. Read the manual through AT LEAST once if not twice before attempting to reload anything.

A great portion of your questions will be answered there.

Reloading precision ammunition is a very methodic attention to detail endeavor.

Make sure you can give 100% attention to what you're doing (without distraction) each step of the way.

I cannot overstate this last part enough.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top