JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Anyone use or own one of these? A friend who is something of a "bladesman" has one and likes it and suggests I should try one as a substitute to beating up one of my khuks in camp.. What say ya'll?:s0045:

I couldn't find it online.

This thing?
Smatchet Machete by Cold Steel

Seems.... Odd. Weight is too far back for chopping, but too big if a blade for any precision with the tip.

Stick to a Bolo for a good heavy brush machete, but honestly, up here I would prefer a good hatcher + axe and something like a Jungles 2 or esse 6.

I see it now on a future "Forged In Fire": "Your Smatchette will Keel"....

Don't know about the cold steel, but a couple months ago I picked up an AL MaR Smachett and that thing was SCARY! I loved the design and feel of it.
William Fairbaine (co designer along with Rex Applegate) said:
The psychological reaction of any man, when he first takes the smatchet in his hand is full justification for its recommendation as a fighting weapon. He will immediately register all the essential qualities of a good soldier - confidence, determination, and aggressiveness. Its balance, weight and killing power, with the point, edge or pommel, combined with the extremely simple training necessary to become efficient in its use, make it the ideal personal weapon for all those not armed with a rifle and bayonet.

The AlMar was highly collectible... I Traded it to a buddy and he sold it on eBay for like $500
For $40 I'd say get one!

B7456DCE-5EFC-4EE9-BD50-1A0BFFC876B7.jpeg C9F85843-4A09-48C2-8EC5-70DECE8C8065.jpeg 74F8357A-2BBC-4730-BE78-A1EB8A33F478.jpeg 21CA23C0-0F9B-4503-B1E9-843E648391D8.jpeg

My mind see them as primitive war items in modern times. I could never understand the value of those sort of things at least in the NW other than scaring people in a movie thriller.
What little Machetes use I have had, quickly taught me too much energy is expended with them when I can produce twice the fire wood with 1/10th the energy with a nice sharp little back pack saw and or preferably backed up with a 24 inch axe.
s1.jpg + s2.jpg
Less like to do me damage in a fall nestled in my back pack too. I can also build a shelter or tarp frame with the saw, faster than chopping, especially if the would is dry and hard.
Just a thought.

The blade shape does not really look like a camp knife. It looks more like a fantasy zombie slasher.

One of our members here is a local knife maker who makes great camp knives. @Bill Siegle
I have a number of them and they work exceptionally well.

Last Edited:
Got the smachet, will eventually take a semi-permanent place in my trunk.. Has some real heft to it. I don't think that it would really do as well as a real hatchet will do as far as splitting wood or taking down small dead trees... but it will work, and can be used for light digging chores, and in a pinch can be used as a canoe paddle:p. I didnt really NEED it but wanted to use it a bit just cuz I can.. Also picked up a CS Kobun to use as an EDC... It beats my Buck folder for weight and edge-holding, I like it in spite of the odd chisel tip.. and it is sharp!

Got the smachet, will eventually take a semi-permanent place in my trunk.. Has some real heft to it. I don't think that it would really do as well as a real hatchet will do as far as splitting wood or taking down small dead trees... but it will work, and can be used for light digging chores, and in a pinch can be used as a canoe paddle:p. I didnt really NEED it but wanted to use it a bit just cuz I can.. Also picked up a CS Kobun to use as an EDC... It beats my Buck folder for weight and edge-holding, I like it in spite of the odd chisel tip.. and it is sharp!

That's a big EDC.....I like it though.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads