JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Was thinking about Colorado magazine ban from years ago. My understanding is to anyone in the gun community it was kind of viewed as a joke and many retailers were even selling standard cap mags that were blocked to 10 round size along with kits to return them to normal capacity.

Forgetting about actively selling or transferring mags and looking only at using the mags, in WA, what are the realistic, real-world scenarios where the mag ban will be enforced?

Are we being overly sensitive to this law that would never have any real world impact on the person using the mags?

Who will be doing the enforcement?

Will they have the will/desire to enforce it?

Is it even enforceable if they had the desire to enforce it?

Us on this forum are very conscious of the laws and we often do overkill on obeying them I think. But in the real world, how big of a deal will this mag ban be in terms of using the mags, especially as enforcement poeple have no way to tell when the mags were in the state (except rare cases where a mag may have a post ban date imprinted on them or something). The exception would be someone actively selling/transferring mags after the deadline, but in terms of using the mags, will this have any effect on anyone at all I wonder?

Last Edited:
No effects on using magazines. There's a grandfather clause for magazines owned prior to 7/1/22.
As for restrictions on new magazines its utterly unenforceable. A quick trip out of state and people can buy whatever they want and unless they're complete idiots, (DUI, drugs etc.)bring them home. There are no border checks so barring some sting at a gun show, which is highly unlikely, who is going to know? California's ban at most made it inconvenient but hardly impossible to bring in "hicap " mags. How would Washington's be any more effective?

It's less about the immediate enforcement and more about slowly curtailing the options, slowing curtailing the interest, and slowly (continually) eroding the right.

My grandpa could buy full auto guns with no hassle and have guns shipped directly to his house, could sell, buy, trade, private party with no infringements.

My dad could do less of those things, but still more than I can now.

I live experiencing more infringments than my grandpa or my dad did, but I lived as an adult for years before several more laws were passed that my children will grow up with (unless they are repealed.)

This all happened in the span of 4 generations.

If the trajectory continues, there is only capitulation or revolution as outcomes.

Last Edited:
It's kind of hilarious, Hawaii has a pistol ban on magazines over 10, but not rifle. With the advent of PCCs, for example the Ruger PC9 can use Glock Magazines, so technically you could have a pistol magazine but still be legal for a rifle. It makes no sense, but manufactures won't ship to Hawaii, so they're out of luck.

On top of that, a 458 SOCOM uses 30 round 556 magazines, but only holds like 9 or 10 rounds, so technically it's not a "high capacity" magazine.

Last Edited:
I imagine it's one of those things that'll get you in trouble if you get mouthy with a cop and happen to have a mag with a manufacturer date newer than June 2022 on your person during a search. Or be an add on to drug busts.

The real concern is say 30 years down the line when people who have yet to be born possess them which might make things tricky

It's less about the immediate enforcement and more about slowly curtailing the options, slowing curtailing the interest, and slowly (continually) eroding the right.

My grandpa could buy full auto guns with no hassle and have guns shipped directly to his house, could sell, buy, trade, private party with no infringements.

My dad could do less of those things, but still more than I can now.

I live experiencing more infringments than my grandpa or my dad did, but I lived as an adult for years before several more laws were passed that my children will grow up with (unless they are repealed.)

This all happened in the span of 4 generations.

If the trajectory continues, there is only capitulation of revolution as outcomes.
Well said. I just reread original post and it could be read as me saying a mag law is not worth being concerned about. Just want to clarify I'm not saying that in the OP. It's hugely important in terms of eroding our rights, as American123 and ttsx said above, I'm just wondering out loud how many of us will run into enforcement of this in the future. Just don't want folks to get the wrong idea. Thx!

I imagine it's one of those things that'll get you in trouble if you get mouthy with a cop and happen to have a mag with a manufacturer date newer than June 2022 on your person during a search. Or be an add on to drug busts.

The real concern is say 30 years down the line when people who have yet to be born possess them which might make things tricky
Or simply when they say, "you know those grandfathered mags, those aren't legal to own anymore."

This arbitrary "10 rounds is enough" should infuriate everyone. Who arbitrarily decided 10 was enough? Is 10 enough for police, for politicians armed security, for celebrity armed security, for government personnel, for the military? Likely not, so why is 10 enough for the civilian?

Or simply when they say, "you know those grandfathered mags" those aren't legal to own anymore.

This arbitrary "10 rounds is enough" should infuriate everyone. Who arbitrarily decided 10 was enough? Is 10 enough for police, for politicians armed security, for celebrity armed security, for government personnel, for the military? Likely not, so why is 10 enough for the civilian?
Stop asking questions, serf. Pay your taxes, obey the speed limit

Agree. That sounds logical to me.

One weird thing I just thought of is popularity of AR platform before the 1994 assault weapons ban was not like it is today. During the ban everyone was dying to get one because you couldn't (in normal forms of the rifle) get one. Then after ban was lifted in 2004 interest exploded. I wonder how much of that was due to them being "unobtanium" vs other factors such as video games, movies, other?

I wonder if mag ban could create a similar yo-yo effect (all of a sudden everyone wants 60 round drums fe). Who knows, just random thought.

😜 (Pic from web)
I will say that threat of federal mag ban caused me to get off the fence for purchasing big drum mags for 12 gauge. (It's just an excuse really ha ha!)

Pic from web:

Last Edited:
Or simply when they say, "you know those grandfathered mags, those aren't legal to own anymore."

Agree. Similar to them saying you don't need x caliber/gun/magazine/whatever to hunt deer. It's not a relevant argument at all.

LE doesn't have the resources.

Most agencies are understaffed.

If you commit a crime with one, and it can be proved it was obtained after 1July 22, then it may be enforced.

Since it's not a crime to possess a 30 round magazine, and because of the change in the stop and detain laws, there's very little chance it would be enforced as there's a pc to stop, detain and check the magazines.

Agree. That sounds logical to me.

One weird thing I just thought of is popularity of AR platform before the 1994 assault weapons ban was not like it is today. During the ban everyone was dying to get one because you couldn't (in normal forms of the rifle) get one. Then after ban was lifted in 2004 interest exploded. I wonder how much of that was due to them being "unobtanium" vs other factors such as video games, movies, other?

I wonder if mag ban could create a similar yo-yo effect (all of a sudden everyone wants 60 round drums fe). Who knows, just random thought.

😜

I will say that threat of federal mag ban caused me to get off the fence for purchasing big drum mags for 12 gauge. (It's just an excuse really ha ha!)

Pic from web:

For new owners, who will be limited to neutered mags unless they take a trip out of state, I'm sure there will be a resurgence when it is repealed, just look at how many mags went to California during "Freedom week."

For the rest of us who saw this infringement coming, some people bought more than 100 magazines just because of this. Probably more than they would have ever bought naturally, if it weren't for this infringement.

I think this is one of the things that the backers are kind of hoping for, but that probably won't happen. By that time most people may have forgotten about it, it might be repealed, or it might be ruled unconstitutional for various reasons.

Or it could get worse; they could ban 10+ mags altogether, or guns altogether. Anti-gunners are playing the long game.

The law is unenforceable.

But that's not the point. The antis are in it for the long game; it'll simply be a war of attrition. They believe that with no more standard capacity mags coming into the state (legally, anyway), the numbers of these mags will continue to dwindle and only be in the hands of us old guys -- or the criminals who steal them from our houses and vehicles...

If ten is enough for us, it's enough for their jackboots too.

I can imagine Sideshow Bob getting a warrant to go after a major retailer like Rainier Arms that have a physical presence in the state to subpeona sales records a year or so from now on an "anonymous tip" that they distributed after the ban to a WA resident.
Anything to cause these businesses time, money and headache in hopes of chasing them out of state and have less available supply. All the while not enforcing laws when actual criminals are arrested but let off, released with no bail or whatever for "social justice"

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top