Crude but effective, functional alteration to an old RCBS 5-10 scale

Reactions
So I picked up this old RCBS 5-10 scale. I had to really spend some time cleaning it up but it was worth it. I like the dial feature for setting the "tenths" of the old 5-10 scales. I disassembled and cleaned the pivot crystals with alcohol prep pads. I think I have this old scale working pretty good now and functioning properly but I was having a difficult time seeing the zero needle marks align as they were pretty faded. Even when the lines are clearly visible like they are on my 5-0-5 scale these lines begin to play tricks on my old eyes after measuring a few loads. The gap that exists between the two needle marks when aligned would play tricks on my eyes and leave me wondering if each load was truly aligned exactly like the one before it.

This is a very crude fix but it worked really well for the 100 loads of 223 that I measured out tonight. Having the two lines that match up actually overlap each other really seemed to increase the accuracy of the repeated measuring of loads. The higher contrast of the red also made it easier for my eyes repeat the process of alignment. Crude as it is, I am very pleased with the improvement created here.

A-IMG-1053.jpg

A-IMG-1054.jpg

A-IMG-1055.jpg

So I picked up this old RCBS 5-10 scale. I had to really spend some time cleaning it up but it was worth it. I like the dial feature for setting the "tenths" of the old 5-10 scales. I disassembled and cleaned the pivot crystals with alcohol prep pads. I think I have this old scale working pretty good now and functioning properly but I was having a difficult time seeing the zero needle marks align as they were pretty faded. Even when the lines are clearly visible like they are on my 5-0-5 scale these lines begin to play tricks on my old eyes after measuring a few loads. The gap that exists between the two needle marks when aligned would play tricks on my eyes and leave me wondering if each load was truly aligned exactly like the one before it.

This is a very crude fix but it worked really well for the 100 loads of 223 that I measured out tonight. Having the two lines that match up actually overlap each other really seemed to increase the accuracy of the repeated measuring of loads. The higher contrast of the red also made it easier for my eyes repeat the process of alignment. Crude as it is, I am very pleased with the improvement created here.

View attachment 574696

View attachment 574697

View attachment 574698

See? That’s badassery on full display right there! :s0155:

UPCOMING EVENTS

Free Firearms Safety Course (I-1639 Compliant)
Virtual Webinar (Zoom). Registration Link in the course description.
Seattle, WA, USA
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Gun Show
Battleground Community Center
912 E Main St, Battle Ground, WA 98604, USA
Albany Rifle & Pistol Club (ARPC) Gun Show
Linn County Expo Center
3700 Knox Butte Rd E, Albany, OR 97322, USA

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• Sportsman's Warehouse - Albany
    5.00 star(s)
    Good products at good prices with friendly and knowledgeable staff!
    We like to visit the Albany location as it's closer but have been to several others and they have all been great!:D
  • Umpqua Survival
    4.00 star(s)
    Easy NFA transfer
    I had a silencer transferred through their shop. The paperwork was quick and the staff helpful and friendly. Whilst waiting, I did see a nice...
  • MK Tactical
    5.00 star(s)
    Awesome staff
    Being new to the area and having just made an online purchase of an AR lower, I opted to use MK Tactical as my FFL, without knowing anything about...
  • J&B Firearm Sales
    5.00 star(s)
    Good local shop
    Picked up a rifle yesterday from J&B. This was the second or third gun purchase over the last few years from them. I always enjoy stopping by...
  • H&K Gun Shop
    5.00 star(s)
    The only place I have found 9mm in stock
    I’ll admit I didn’t even know this place existed, as I don’t tend to go into Forest Grove often. But it’s a giant (looks bigger from the...
Top Bottom