JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yeah, cool, except I'd never do it on anything but a cheap .22 rifle. If you need to fix the muzzle on a centerfire rifle, take it to someone with a lathe and let them do it right...

Sorry, the gunsmith in me feels like its a half-*** way to do it. I prefer the precision with a lathe. If it works for you, great. Me, I'll do it right, even if its just right for me. Besides, that limits you to a hunter's crown. An 11 degree target crown takes me about 30 seconds longer on a lathe, looks better, and works better for me...

Sorry, the gunsmith in me feels like its a half-*** way to do it. I prefer the precision with a lathe. If it works for you, great. Me, I'll do it right, even if its just right for me. Besides, that limits you to a hunter's crown. An 11 degree target crown takes me about 30 seconds longer on a lathe, looks better, and works better for me...

Whatever pops your socks.

I brought my Marlin Papoose barrel to Tornado Technologies for threading, and they put on a fresh crown at no extra charge!

I agree that this DIY method looks kinda half-arsed, but like the vid showed, it was used on a virtual throwaway of a rifle.

Thanks for the help. I am doing this on a Kel-Tec Sub 2000 so we are not talking MOA accuracy (although it does do quite well considering) It has no crown at all and I recently took it apart for a thorough cleaning and a little trigger work and I would have done the crown on my lathe but the design of the folding barrel does not allow for easy chuck up so all things considered any crown (even hand done) will be better than none.

I did something similar with a beat up mosin. I sporterized it, cut barrel and re-crowned. I used drill press and a 3/8" Carriage Bolt. I just ran the head of the bolt against some 80 grit sandpaper for a minute to sand off the raised numbers on the head and smooth it down. It also made the head kind of "rough" then I pasted on some lapping compound and threw the barrel in the vise. Gentle and slow... crown came out very nice and it shoot much better (better than before anyway ;) ). I probably closed up my groups on it by about 2 inches, still not great, but my first attempt.

Thanks for the help. I am doing this on a Kel-Tec Sub 2000 so we are not talking MOA accuracy (although it does do quite well considering) It has no crown at all and I recently took it apart for a thorough cleaning and a little trigger work and I would have done the crown on my lathe but the design of the folding barrel does not allow for easy chuck up so all things considered any crown (even hand done) will be better than none.

if it ain't broke why fix it? If its shooting pretty good as is why mess with it? Yeah a recessed target crown could be nice and all, but really its not that expensive of a gun and you probably aren't going to gain much in the way of accuracy if anything at all. Accept it for what it is and its limitations. Those are great, handy little PCC's but I think you would be just throwing time money and effort at a problem that really isn't in need of a solution.

I would not think of crowning a rifle any way but in a lathe.
I agree - that is why I left the barrel I was going to crown alone (the Sub 2000 barrel) The folding design of the Sub 2000 barrel does not allow for easy disassembly and even if removed I do not see an easy way to chuck it up in my lathe.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top