JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
12APPE1_SPAN-articleLarge-v2.jpg

This Sunday will be my first attempt at making a Crown Roast of Pork.

Some people roast the pork with the stuffing in the center of the crown and others say, "Do not bother," and bake the stuffing in a separate dish.

Does anyone here have personal experience with this dish?

A very elegant and delicious cut of pork. It has been my personal experience that given the choices you mention, the stuffing cooked with the roast makes for a moist, tender and the great presentation is a huge plus. Just don't over cook. You might plan on a separate pan of dressing just to make sure there is plenty to go around. The bonus is you can try both to see how you would do the next one.

I prefer stuffing in the roast. I still can't go for pink pork, it's gotta be at least 165* internal temp, so stuffing it means there's less chance of it drying out.
I always make enough stuffing/dressing that I need an extra pan anyway.

Great choice for a holiday meal BTW.
Are you cutting/prepping the roast yourself, or having the butcher do it? Stuffing it may require more trimming off of the lip of fat, so the stuffing doesn't greasy. If it's not stuffed, any fat left on will have a chance to get crispy, so be sure and salt/pepper it well. (if it's not stuffed)

I prefer stuffing in the roast. I still can't go for pink pork, it's gotta be at least 165* internal temp, so stuffing it means there's less chance of it drying out.

Are you cutting/prepping the roast yourself, or having the butcher do it? Stuffing it may require more trimming off of the lip of fat, so the stuffing doesn't greasy. If it's not stuffed, any fat left on will have a chance to get crispy, so be sure and salt/pepper it well. (if it's not stuffed)
Again personal preference... 150 internal temp should produce a rosy pink color with guaranteed juicy meat. Just make sure the dressing temps to 165.

I had the butcher do it for me.

Well, my crown roast of pork turned out perfectly: juicy, tender and flavorful. It was the best pork that I have ever eaten and so also said my family and guests. :)

I put two cups of stuffing in the center and roasted it at 350 degrees to an internal temperature of 145 degrees. It was an 11.3 lb. roast and I let it rest for 40 minutes afterwards. (It continued to cook.)

If a klutz like myself could make it turn out this nicely I dare say that anyone on this site could do likewise. :)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top