JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You would be foolish not to carry your permit while armed even in your home state, the only time I don't carry mine is on my own property, as a permit isn't required there, the rest of the time I have my wallet in my pocket!
Gabby

The federal "savings" clause is located at 18 U.S.C. s 926A:

"Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver's compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console."

Also, as I recall - you must be "passing through" - i.e., no stopping to visit someone.

The keyword there (18 U.S.C. s 926A) is "notwithstanding" so this law is in effect if the State has no law that takes precedence over it. But I'm not a lawyer so this is my own interpretation. So if you want an expert opinion, you'll need to talk to an attorney.

Am I being detained or am I free to go?

What probable cause or reasonable suspicion are you detaining me for?

I don't consent to any searches.

I want to remain silent until I can speak to an attorney.

These phrases are key to you never incriminating yourself.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top