JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So i had my CHL class for Oregon a few weeks ago and went in to the sheriffs office and am now waiting for my card in the mail. Now when i had my class i remember my instructor saying something (I cant remember the whole conversation so i'm trying to make sure).

Is it illegal to cross state borders with a loaded concealed handgun if you have a permit in both states? I remember it being mentioned it was a federal law but it sounded totally nuts to me. I have not found any information about it online so i thought to ask here.

I would have taken the Utah option for my class but i'm a former resident of Washington and already had my permit for the state. So figured i would be cheap since i have left the 2 states only a handful of times in my life.

So - I forget (been a long time since my WA state permit expired); do you have to notify WA state when you move with regards to your permit? You do with Oregon.

I haven't read anything about the validity of the permit after moving from one state to another, but I would have to wonder if there is an impact?

I would have taken the Utah option for my class but i'm a former resident of Washington and already had my permit for the state. So figured i would be cheap since i have left the 2 states only a handful of times in my life.
Better check whether your Washington permit is still valid after you've moved to a different state. You might find yourself in hot water.

So - I forget (been a long time since my WA state permit expired); do you have to notify WA state when you move with regards to your permit? You do with Oregon.

I haven't read anything about the validity of the permit after moving from one state to another, but I would have to wonder if there is an impact?
I did call them about it and all i had to do was go pay $10 (It was listed as a new card fee) and they sent me a new card with my Oregon address.

The person i talked to at the time told me it was still technically valid with the old address but it was still a good idea to get the new address changed over.

The guy I used to work with at the LGS in Sequim and were talking about having ammo with your gun while in the woods hunting. Some say you must have it separate,some say BS.
Same with crossing state lines.
So while at a gun show in Port Angeles where the ATF had a table,I asked one of the agents.
Very politely,with a smile of course, he said yes the state laws may say you can have your ammo and gun in the same compartment of your car but that's not what federal law says:D
I'm guessing the cpl teacher was referring to this?
Anyway,it's something that would come into play if you were doing something stupid in a national forrest or such
( I didn't ask any more questions about law numbers so you'll have to look it up yoo self);)

Once you were in the other state you would be legal. SO the Feds would have to get you at the point you crossed the line. And based on how they prosecute real actual violations of gun laws this is one I sure wouldn't worry about.

SHPD Retired said: "The last time I checked Idaho did not recognize an Oregon permit as Oregon does not recognize any other states' permit."

Actually, Idaho does recognize CHL's from Oregon and other states:
Statutes 5(h); 13.

But as an Oregon resident with an out of state for Washington, Utah is lower cost $15.00 (plus $0.75 if done on the internet) when it comes time to renew, and longer time between renew, so I can drop the Washington renewal $32.00 as it's covered buy Utah. I'm not positive about the extra time part, but you may get an extra year from Utah though that would just be gravy.

Also depends on what State. Crossing from SW Oregon through NW California to get to the SW OR beaches is an example.

Supposedly there is a Federal Law that protects us. I for one would not want to test that legality. We have OR CC licenses.

Before we cross over the border at the bug station we have to lock up all the good OR stuff. Then reload when back in OR.

A sticky situation. That CA sheriff does not respond to inquires. Be very careful when crossing state lines. This is our situation.

The federal "savings" clause is located at 18 U.S.C. s 926A:

"Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver's compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console."

Thank you WALawyer. Pretty simple language. It is a shame when law abiding citizens in one state must practically strip search themselves and their vehicle just to pass through another state to get to their destination back inside their state.

Such is our situation living in SW OR and passing through NW CA on our way to SW OR. Our solution is to add another 100 miles and about 2 hours going up N then W back down to SW OR just to visit friends or enjoy the SW OR beaches. Not good.

However, that law allows only Idaho residents, 21 years of age, and legal to carry a handgun, without a permit. Non Idaho residents still need to be licensed.

"As of July 1, 2016, Idaho statute allows residents 21 years of age, not disqualified from having a permit, to carry a concealed firearm statewide without a permit."

"Does Idaho recognize concealed weapons licenses from other states?
Yes. However, while in Idaho, you must carry the license on your person at all times when you are carrying a concealed weapon. (Idaho Code Section 18-3302(12)(g)

<broken link removed>

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads