JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
p_100012336_2.jpg
Has anyone had any experience with this hydraulic recoil buffer? Is it for real or a spendy gimmick?

I have a 20" bbl varmint upper to hunt tiny sage rats, but recoil is still to hard and I lose the sight picture in all but the lowest zoom settings. Seeing the rat go up "in smoke" is 95% of the fun! How much will this AR recoil buffer help me maintain the sight picture?

Last Edited:
The answer to keeping your sight picture on a 5.56 rifle may have more to do with stance and grip than buffer if you're shooting unsupported, standing.

Having the right muscles tight and a slightly forward-leaning stance with the stock held firmly into your shoulder could do a lot in achieving your objective.

I use a JP Enterprises captured buffer spring because the boing--oing---oing--fleh of the OEM buffer spring during cycling sounded like Mattel toy gun. The JP is quiet and has been a nice upgrade, but as far as recoil goes, Newton's 3rd law shall remain in force.

Doc, thanks for the input, but, no, I am not shooting off hand. Sage rat varminting is done from a bench rest.

This is not a capture spring/buffer, which is aimed at reducing creaking noise when shooting suppressed. I own a suppressed 300 AAC balackout SBR and have not used it. I applied generous amounts of grease to the buffer/spring assembly and took care of most of it, and saved me $100+.

And about your newton reference, classical mechanics, also deals with how kinetic energy can be dissipated by friction, which is what this buffer claims to use.

Last Edited:
Is it "hydraulic" in that it uses oil?

Then it is more like a shock absorber than a spring and in general, probably superior to a coil spring in that coil springs "bounce" as already mentioned. Hydraulic or even gas "springs" do use friction and are smoother in that they generally do not bounce, do not wear out as fast, can remain compressed unlike a coil spring.

Whether it is worth the money or gets you what you want, can only be determined by you - but there is a reason that automobiles generally use shock absorbers in addition to springs.

civilian75 I'm going to answer this two fold: first I do not have that particular brand hydraulic buffer but I do have a brand x. They work great in that there is no buffer spring noise in the buttstock like traditional spring and they do help mitigate recoil. They are expensive and they do wear out. I haven't replaced mine yet but a buddy has and he wasn't happy about the price tag...nor will I when it is my turn. I'm not 100% certain this will solve your entire issue or concern.

I shoot both an AR10 .308 medium to long range and an SPR 5.56 for short to mid range. Both use Scopes. I do not have a hydraulic buffer in either system and never have an issue with follow up shots or loosing my sight picture. I can stay locked down on the reticle. Now one of the key things (and you're probably already doing this so forgive me if I'm insulting your competence) is to make sure you are "anchoring and loading" your bipod. Once this is done then there is almost zero muzzle rise or muzzle flip which is so common when shooting prone and a bipod. Yes the recoil is still there but it is just going directly back rather than up and out.

Dan

I dont know if the device will help or not, But I see the strike of the bullet everytime, Even when my scope is set to 24 power. My Rat gun 22-250 weighs 22 pounds. Get Yourself some lead in the Buttstock.

Do you have a full length rifle tube?
I know you have get heavier buffer for a carbine, not sure about the rifle.
I've always heard these work well, but no where near what they should for the price.
I would try a new spring and a heavier buffer if possible

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads