JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Do any of you have a crossbow stashed?? If so what kind or model? Do you have extra bolts or strings?

I'm thinking about no guns or ammo.

Yes, Yes and Yes..... as well as a few bows.

that is why i got it. in a long term SHTF, ammo and guns are going to run out. you can make arrows and bolts though....

Ned

I've thought about getting one to have once all the guns are in the grinder (I love making heated statements like that on a gun forum ... damn rabblerouser)

TCGC is having an introduction to Archery thing on the 19th.

Of course, knowing NOTHING about archery I already find myself attracted to the Ghost 400.

I am ceriously considering one and have looked at a few online and will be interested in some experts recommendations.

Similar but not same.

I use to bow hunt 20 yrs ago and sold mine yrs ago, the new bows that have come out have convinced me to put one in my 2013 budget.

I know of two people who hunt with the new bows and love them, and two people who got just month, although obviously different than a crossbow it is in the same line of thinking.

Interesting that others, are going that way as well.

Cross bows are great for us older guys who's shoulders ache at any in opportune time. Ever try pulling a 65# bow back and your shoulder says STOP THAT!! ?
Cost me a season of hunting.
So a cross bow is they way to go or at least have for a back up. Then you can get a crank to set it.No major tugging on the joints
First thing that makes it better than a bow.Faster is the second and aiming them seems easier cause you have regular sites on them. I think most rifle hunters can adapt to them easier
But in Washington,they are only legal for hunting during rifle season or if you are handicap. probably more to it but that's the main restrictions.
Of course you are talking SHTF and nobody will hear it anyway

They would carry as good or bad as a bow,maybe a little longer one direction.But close
In a SHTF scenario,I would think either a bow or cross bow would be terrific.I have 2 bows now and will be getting a cross bow to see if it's a better choice.

As in Alaska,a rifle is a dinner bell for a grizzly,so will it be for humans around here. Silent means will be necessary

Now we need someone who has lots of experience to tell us the best brands and price breaks

I like bows over crossbows. They are usually lighter, more compact, and getting off a second shot is so much faster. At 20 yards I can keep three arrows in a 2in group. And with archery, all you have to do is set up your block in your backyard, and you are good to go. No need to go to the range or the woods. Very fun.

The whole quiet thing is so appealing. That is why I broke the bank for suppressors.

I watched what some of the larger arrows with those pop-out blade tips can do on videos - geezus. Being shot with a bullet or one of those, hard call. At least with a bullet you don't have a foot or so of a stick pointing out of you. Damn.

England apparently allows crossbows (not for hunting) which unless I don't have that right, I don't understand. No guns, (certain) knives banned, but you can have a crossbow to defend yourself at home? Something is better than nothing, crossbow, tomahawk, knifes, etc.

Swing by Big 5 and they will have a few that you can look at. I have a small pistol style that has an 80lb draw. Not a lot but enough to get small game if needed.

I shot a crossbow and crossbow pistol pretty extensively a few years ago while on a two week vacation at a friends who owned them. They were ok but I found them to be underpowered for their weight and bulk and I found the things to be slow and clumsy, at least in my hands. That's just me. I was an experienced archer with my Bear 50# recurve and had no problem beating my friend in accuracy, renocking the next arrow was much quicker! Only advantage I could see was if you can shoot a firearm you can shoot a crossbow. On the other hand learning to shoot a bow is pretty easy (especially a compound) and practice is a LOT of fun!

PS: Oh yeah, seeing those tips with the swing out blades give me the willies! Bout the same wound channel as having a shovel stuffed through you! However a 3 pack of them cost about the same as a Buick. I have stuck to plain old razor heads. I feel that they will do nicely on say, prey that has less vitality and legs than a deer.

Last Edited:
Also might look into a modern pellet gun. The pellets travel well above 1000 fps, made of steel & can penetrate a brain of a animal or 'bad guy'

Absolute ditto on the pellet gun! Mine is rated at 1150fps, literally drives tacks and has a trigger to match my finest hunting rifles! It is an old RWS and I added a mil-spec scope to it a few months ago. I keep a few thousand various pellets on hand. I would keep 10,000+ pellets on hand except that the lead ones oxidize over time and lead oxide will ruin your barrel. My feeling is the pellet guns are for hunting and the bow is an ambush weapon.

I bought a crossbow when they were on sale at Big 5. It was less than $100, and came out of the box broken. I looked it over real good and realized that I didn't want a replacement, just my money back.

Thinking of getting a good one, would be fun to be able to target practice in the yard, which I can't do with firearms.

Absolute ditto on the pellet gun! Mine is rated at 1150fps, literally drives tacks and has a trigger to match my finest hunting rifles! It is an old RWS and I added a mil-spec scope to it a few months ago. I keep a few thousand various pellets on hand. I would keep 10,000+ pellets on hand except that the lead ones oxidize over time and lead oxide will ruin your barrel. My feeling is the pellet guns are for hunting and the bow is an ambush weapon.

Hope it was a scope for a pellet gun as a regular rifle scope isn't made for the vibrations of a pellet rifle. Some scopes will vibrate apart on a pellet rifle in no time.

But mine is a older Gamo,maybe 10 years old and it still shoots accurately.But it has a crack to it so not close to silent
I see at the local gun shop that sells them,they have one with a suppressor on it. Maybe because it only reduces it so much it is legal?
Haven't shot one so can't say how quiet it is.
These should work at close range on rabbits and some birds for a meal

Or worse

Yep, genuine, slave labor, Chinese spring piston rifle scope! actually I'm being a bit flip here, I'm very pleased with the scope! Surprisingly pleased! The range finder lines seem to be right on for a .177 cal rifle, the red and green lighted reticle works perfectly the fit and finish are very nice and it holds zero exactly! Only problem I see is, like most inexpensive scopes, having the reticle lit eats batterys fast. I don't use the light much anyway. It's on a 1978 RWS air rifle.

I bought a crossbow when they were on sale at Big 5. It was less than $100, and came out of the box broken. I looked it over real good and realized that I didn't want a replacement, just my money back.

Thinking of getting a good one, would be fun to be able to target practice in the yard, which I can't do with firearms.

You'll shoot your eye out, kid!

I rather like the idea of the pellet gun..What size 177 or 22 what are some good brands.I think CMP has air guns.

My brother got me one for X-mas a few years back, and I've had a blast with mine. I don't shoot it nearly as much as my firearms. Which, in retrospect, is pretty insane, because I can just go in my sideyard if I wanted to.
Unfortunately my string broke a while back (Don't dry fire crossbows!), and I've really slacked on getting a replacement.
For SHTF, however, my crossbow is pretty high on my list for innawoods hunting equipment, right next to my trusty 12 gauge.

At least with a crossbow, there is a chance you could reuse the bolt if it is still in good condition. Once all my 12 gauge slugs run out, a crossbow might end up being my main armament. And a 150lb pull crossbow can take down wild pigs no problem.

Unfortunately, crossbows are currently illegal to hunt with in Oregon. It makes no sense to me, really. We are one of the very few states that outlaw crossbow hunting completely.

Geez Louise, I knew air rifles were a lot more advanced now, but this is nuts.

<broken link removed> - It sends 175-grain bullets downrange at more than 800 fps.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top