JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Error
Reviews are disabled for this resource because it is temporarily closed.
Ask question Discuss resource
can I get the locations please
Reports from Santiam SF officials are that there are a lot of conflicts in the Crooked Finger Area between trails and shooting. A better place to shoot is Northeast of there. https://goo.gl/maps/Xed8y4ahhrA3Zi8RA

We're planning on fixing this place up to make it a safer and better place to shoot. Our grant with the NRA was put on hold all Spring/Summer because of the #Pandamnit, but they are now sending it out. I hope our contractor is available to get this done before Winter!

Reports from Santiam SF officials are that there are a lot of conflicts in the Crooked Finger Area between trails and shooting. A better place to shoot is Northeast of there. https://goo.gl/maps/Xed8y4ahhrA3Zi8RA

We're planning on fixing this place up to make it a safer and better place to shoot. Our grant with the NRA was put on hold all Spring/Summer because of the #Pandamnit, but they are now sending it out. I hope our contractor is available to get this done before Winter!
Thank you so much

I got the grant from the NRA Foundation!!!

If we build it, they will come!!!

New improvement work to happen this summer at a decommissioned gravel pit on Butte Creek Rd, N of the Crooked Finger area. This is the start of more-to-come improvements for target shooting in this area.

This spot is in the area North of Crooked Finger, accessed via the Sawtell Rd and down the S Family Camp Rd. The Oregon Dept of Forestry wants to do some improvements in that area and we've chosen the first place to do it. We just got awared a NRA grant for some financial assistance. The improvements will be very similar to the North Fork Wolf Creek Rd Shooting Lanes we helped with in the Tillamook State Forest. Same Jersey Barrier firing lines and built for sustainability. This place will have a short pistol range and a longer 100 yard range.

I asked for $20k and got $10k. ODF and I will need to do some creative thinking on how to make up the diff. We will be considering some modifications to our plan and ODF will comp some of the materials. In the end, it will be nice!

Will update as we progress.

Bill

View attachment 666560 View attachment 666562
This project is now put on HOLD TFN! The pit is currently on fire! Not only that, we lost the ODF Santiam SF office to the fire! That means ODF staff doesn't have a place to call office home and a lot of records are lost (many were saved by the state computer backup system, but that will take some digging to get needed info).

In talking with an ODF Forester, it sounds like all employees are safe and working heavy overtime hours trying to keep up with all that's happening down there.

Luckily, I have all the files needed to pick up where we left off and can continue this improvement project when things improve, (hopefully next year). However, we will not see these shooting improvements done this year and probably will not see the Santiam State Forest open to recreational shooting this year either.

Beyond that, the NRA Foundation has not even sent the check for the grant they had approved us for... yet, anyway. Last month they said they would and if I receive it in the next few days, I'll have to send it back because there's nothing we can do this year. The NRA Foundation has mostly been shut down and are able to do very little during this pandamnit.

When the green light happens, we should still be able to access and shoot here. It may, however, have some safety hazards that could block our access until they clear them out.

Stay tuned for further updates!

Bill

This project is now put on HOLD TFN! The pit is currently on fire! Not only that, we lost the ODF Santiam SF office to the fire! That means ODF staff doesn't have a place to call office home and a lot of records are lost (many were saved by the state computer backup system, but that will take some digging to get needed info).

In talking with an ODF Forester, it sounds like all employees are safe and working heavy overtime hours trying to keep up with all that's happening down there.

Luckily, I have all the files needed to pick up where we left off and can continue this improvement project when things improve, (hopefully next year). However, we will not see these shooting improvements done this year and probably will not see the Santiam State Forest open to recreational shooting this year either.

Beyond that, the NRA Foundation has not even sent the check for the grant they had approved us for... yet, anyway. Last month they said they would and if I receive it in the next few days, I'll have to send it back because there's nothing we can do this year. The NRA Foundation has mostly been shut down and are able to do very little during this pandamnit.

When the green light happens, we should still be able to access and shoot here. It may, however, have some safety hazards that could block our access until they clear them out.

Stay tuned for further updates!

Bill
Thank you so much for the info and i hope ever one is doing good

Do you know the Coordinate where you when shooting
Sorry, i should've been more clear. I wasn't able to do anything except turn around, but I was trying to get to this open area a couple miles up, on the left.
I think coordinates are: 44.9305258, -122.5440627. It's pretty much the only spot left up there that I know of, and I hadn't been there in a couple of years. And who knows when any of it will be open again. I live not far, and I think the fires got into that general area.

Sorry, i should've been more clear. I wasn't able to do anything except turn around, but I was trying to get to this open area a couple miles up, on the left.
I think coordinates are: 44.9305258, -122.5440627. It's pretty much the only spot left up there that I know of, and I hadn't been there in a couple of years. And who knows when any of it will be open again. I live not far, and I think the fires got into that general area.
Oh okay thanks and by any chance do you think people can go up that area that wasn't affected by the fires and shoot?

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.