JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Error
Reviews are disabled for this resource because it is temporarily closed.
Ask question Discuss resource
So I spoke to Weyerhaeuser who put up the gate due to vandalism and arson. They are saying you can't drive past the gate if it's open you can only leave your car and walk to the spots even tho the spots are about 1 mile from their permit area. Not sure how they get away with that but that's what they said.

I need some support here! Letters of support for an NRA grant to improve 1 dispersed shooting site in the Santiam State Forest.

Can you write a letter of support for improving dispersed recreational shooting in the Santiam? Include mentions of things like supporting maintenance and care for the place, and your preference of shooting at an improved vs unimproved site. My email address is below.

This spot is in the area North of Crooked Finger, accessed via the Sawtell Rd and down the S Family Camp Rd. The Oregon Dept of Forestry wants to do some improvements in that area and we've chosen the first place to do it. We're currently, and aggressively, working on the NRA grant for some financial assistance and we need to attach letters of support from the target shooting community. The improvements will be very similar to the North Fork Wolf Creek Rd Shooting Lanes we helped with in the Tillamook State Forest. Same Jersey Barrier firing lines, same eco block/impact gravel backstop berms in front of the hillside. Built for sustainability. This place will have a short pistol range and a longer 100 yard range.

I would like to submit letters from those who shoot in the Santiam. I also would like letters from outside the area by people who have supported the Trash No Land efforts with cleanup events, lane improvement work and brochure distribution efforts. ODF will also provide a letter or two.

This will not be a 'Designated Only' place. Dispersed shooting will remain open throughout the forest, however, we are simply going to make this spot nicer and safer to use than typical places we normally shoot at. After this one is done, we have a few more that ODF would like to do. They are very determined to do this!

I have made a commitment to help get this done and I hope I can get some help from those of you who shoot in the Santiam.

Email your letter to: [email protected] .

My grant deadline is this coming Dec. 3rd! So I need the letters well before that!

Thank you!

Bill

It was only 1 1/4 hours to drive here from Washougal WA in Saturday morning light traffic. I was surprised to see so few people out shooting, even at 11 AM when I was getting ready to leave. The volume of trash is minimal in this part of the forest, which tells me either not many people shoot there or those that do are keeping it cleaned up pretty well. Certainly nothing like the trash and destruction going on down in Crooked Finger. (With hearing all the crap that goes on down in Crooked Finger, sounds like it's best to find a better place to shoot!).

The drive is reasonable for most of us who are used to an hour to hour & a half to get to a good shooting site. I simply when straight down Hwy 213 from Oregon City and cut over to Scotts Mills and left on S Maple Grove Rd. Nice drive and was well worth it. Got there by 8 AM.

Drove up to Crooked Finger 2 nights ago. It's ALL gone. Nothing left. Can't get to the landing strip and the smaller area about 1.5 miles in on the gravel is just completely gone.

Drove up to Crooked Finger 2 nights ago. It's ALL gone. Nothing left. Can't get to the landing strip and the smaller area about 1.5 miles in on the gravel is just completely gone.
From what I heard, from a forester, Weyerhaeuser closed it off due to trouble with shooters. The landing strip is state land but you can't access it without going through Weyerhaeuser property first. It has caused shooters to shoot around the OHV trail area and now OHV users are moving out and blazing their own trails elsewhere. Crooked Finger has become a soar spot for everyone! That's why we're trying to improve some good places up off the Sawtell Rd area (not much conflict there).

I
From what I heard, from a forester, Weyerhaeuser closed it off due to trouble with shooters. The landing strip is state land but you can't access it without going through Weyerhaeuser property first. It has caused shooters to shoot around the OHV trail area and now OHV users are moving out and blazing their own trails elsewhere. Crooked Finger has become a soar spot for everyone! That's why we're trying to improve some good places up off the Sawtell Rd area (not much conflict there).

I'm not familiar with the Sawtell area. Is there safe enough area to shoot?space/ berm etc

I got the grant from the NRA Foundation!!!

If we build it, they will come!!!

New improvement work to happen this summer at a decommissioned gravel pit on Butte Creek Rd, N of the Crooked Finger area. This is the start of more-to-come improvements for target shooting in this area.

This spot is in the area North of Crooked Finger, accessed via the Sawtell Rd and down the S Family Camp Rd. The Oregon Dept of Forestry wants to do some improvements in that area and we've chosen the first place to do it. We just got awared a NRA grant for some financial assistance. The improvements will be very similar to the North Fork Wolf Creek Rd Shooting Lanes we helped with in the Tillamook State Forest. Same Jersey Barrier firing lines and built for sustainability. This place will have a short pistol range and a longer 100 yard range.

I asked for $20k and got $10k. ODF and I will need to do some creative thinking on how to make up the diff. We will be considering some modifications to our plan and ODF will comp some of the materials. In the end, it will be nice!

Will update as we progress.

Bill

615 Pit Design Photo.jpg 615 Pit Design.jpg

I got the grant from the NRA Foundation!!!

If we build it, they will come!!!

New improvement work to happen this summer at a decommissioned gravel pit on Butte Creek Rd, N of the Crooked Finger area. This is the start of more-to-come improvements for target shooting in this area.

This spot is in the area North of Crooked Finger, accessed via the Sawtell Rd and down the S Family Camp Rd. The Oregon Dept of Forestry wants to do some improvements in that area and we've chosen the first place to do it. We just got awared a NRA grant for some financial assistance. The improvements will be very similar to the North Fork Wolf Creek Rd Shooting Lanes we helped with in the Tillamook State Forest. Same Jersey Barrier firing lines and built for sustainability. This place will have a short pistol range and a longer 100 yard range.

I asked for $20k and got $10k. ODF and I will need to do some creative thinking on how to make up the diff. We will be considering some modifications to our plan and ODF will comp some of the materials. In the end, it will be nice!

Will update as we progress.

Bill

View attachment 666560 View attachment 666562
What are the coordinates to this location?

What are the coordinates to this location?

44°55'41.9"N 122°29'20.4"W

Just found it on there after manually trailing the roads. Just be sure you don't make it harder for the clean up crew this summer.
So glad I checked out this forum.
I used to get taken shooting on the logging roads up by Lyons, a good like 6 years ago. Went back up there this summer, and long story short, turns out they now keep the gate locked year-round, but I somehow showed up while a crew was out there and got myself locked in. That was a fun call to the forestry department, but at least the guy who let me out was pretty understanding about it.
I live in Salem, so I'm a bit closer to the Gooseneck shooting spot, (which I also just learned about from this site) but my uncle lives out by Lyons, so this seems like a great spot to check out with him, if I can find a route through the trails.

Last Edited:
From what I heard, from a forester, Weyerhaeuser closed it off due to trouble with shooters. The landing strip is state land but you can't access it without going through Weyerhaeuser property first. It has caused shooters to shoot around the OHV trail area and now OHV users are moving out and blazing their own trails elsewhere. Crooked Finger has become a soar spot for everyone! That's why we're trying to improve some good places up off the Sawtell Rd area (not much conflict there)
can i get more info please on a safe area to go shot im new to the area

I can send you some info this evening but working away from the office today. Otherwise, check out the area futher North along Family Camp Rd and Butte Creek Rd.

Went up to the smaller spot yesterday. A lot of that area has been logged now but still able to shoot fine. Couple of cars going back and forth, either waiting for us to leave or possibly trying to report our activity but nothing can through on the scanner. We had a .50bmg which may have drawn attention.

I can send you some info this evening but working away from the office today. Otherwise, check out the area futher North along Family Camp Rd and Butte Creek Rd.
Do you know when the ball will get rolling on this new location? Also if you need an extra hand I'd love to assist. It's close to me and I'd love a dedicated spot that close to home.

Do you know when the ball will get rolling on this new location? Also if you need an extra hand I'd love to assist. It's close to me and I'd love a dedicated spot that close to home.
Not until mid-end of summer. There's been a delay in everything, including the funds from the NRA Foundation.

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.