JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Error
Reviews are disabled for this resource because it is temporarily closed.
Ask question Discuss resource
Off Highway Vehicles. That Crooked Finger area was mostly improved for that kind of recreation, however, target shooters are using it a lot as well. There have been some conflicts between the usage there and ODF is trying to encourage shooters to recreate further up. As soon as more of the forest opens, we are going to do a shooting improvement to a decommissioned pit up off Butte Creek Rd (as mentioned in earlier posts in this thread).

So, shooting in the Crooked Finger area is a hit-n-miss type of situation.
Oh okay i am trying to find new spots that arent far

@Cogs do you have any updates on the Pit refurb you guys were planning on doing this year?

NRA Foundation is mailing the check again. ODF said we can have access to the pit now and wants to move forward. We have a meeting scheduled for July 10 to re-evaluate the project and see if we can do it with less cost. Going to have an excavation contractor there to submit a bid. I'm sure we'll need to do a fundraiser event or two for the balance needed.

We want to get it done by Aug or early Sept.

Got it in the mail today! Ten BIG ONES! Now we gotta start raising a few more to get it done! I have a page set up for description and donations. It says we need $5000 more but I'll revise that after our meeting with the contractor on the 10th of July. Still, we can start fundraising now.

We also need to reach out to the local communities for their support. Hopefully, we can do a fundraiser event in that area.

https://www.trashnoland.org/fundraisers/615-pit-project/

NRA Check 6-21-21.jpg

Got it in the mail today! Ten BIG ONES! Now we gotta start raising a few more to get it done! I have a page set up for description and donations. It says we need $5000 more but I'll revise that after our meeting with the contractor on the 10th of July. Still, we can start fundraising now.

We also need to reach out to the local communities for their support. Hopefully, we can do a fundraiser event in that area.

This is great news! I'll send the link around to friends and family that are local!

I would be glad to help ill look at more on the info in the link

Meeting this weekend at the 615 pit. Anyone care to join and chip in 2 cents worth of constructive input?

I'm meeting with the State Rec Manager for ODF, two other foresters and 1 or two excavation contractors for bidding. We're going to hash over the plan and make revisions to help lower the cost. We could use some input on that.

Also, if you, or you know of, are an excavation contractor that would be interested in bidding this job, please attend this meeting. Trash No Land, and/or ODF or ODFW are providing the needed materials, so we just need bids on labor and equipment to do the work. We're planning on work to be done sometime in August. TNL will be the one paying the contractor.

Most of the work is typicall excavation. However, there are about 3-4 Douglas Fir Trees that need to come down and logged off. The contractor needs to factor that in to his bid.

Meet Saturday, July 10, 2021 at 9 AM at the 615 Pit along Butte Creek Mainline Rd:

Google Maps: https://goo.gl/maps/qhsR4kgv2xRVyRWw6
GPS: 44°55'41.9"N 122°29'21.5"W

Of course, we'll have to stop shooting for an hour or so. So don't plan on shooting till 11 or so.

Thanks,
Bill

It's a small project, (only around $18,000), but helps to open doors for more in that area. We've also been talking of a shorter range near by. We're planning on it being done by October, which is the deadline for completion per the NRA grant.

We have the 10k from NRA, ODF will chip in 4-5k and we may need to raise 3-4K to get it done. I'm thinking of a fundraiser raffle & auction somewhere down in that area (live music, spirits and good times!). Will post about it as it develops.

The 615 Pit project is coming along real well. Materials are being ordered, trees should be falling by now and we're building our schedule for the volunteer Security Team camp outs. We almost have the first week covered!

I'm picking up the security gate from Forest Grove this weekend Oct 2nd, Buying the shrubs the next weekend, Delivering and camping on the 18th when the contractor moves in then & we'll help install the gate, Camp again the next weekend and finally be there again for the Grand Opening. A busy month for me, but it'll be worth the effort!

Looks like we need a few more people to help on the Security Team. We need a 2nd person(s) for the 17th, 18th & 19th, and two campers each night for the 24th to the 29th.

On the 30th, I'm planning a little celebration Grand Opening. We'll enjoy some coffee & donuts while we shout out some kudo's to ODF & ODFW for their roles (they each chipped in about $7,000!), and talk about this lane and the others that could come. We'll also plant a few shrubs in the new side berm (because we don't want people getting the idea to shoot in that direction). I'll provide a lunch and then it's Open Range time! Pew Pew! More details on the Grand Opening later.

So let me know if you can help with camping on any of those nights.

Thanks,
Bill

615 Security Detail Schedule.jpg

This project is being wrapped up this week! Come get a preview this Saturday!

Our final detail will be on next Saturday, Oct 30th, meet at 9 AM, when we need some volunteers to help plant over 50 shrubs in that sidewall berm (pic below). We will also chat about why this improvement, why not more places like this and shout out some kudo's to those involved in making this happen. Hope you can make it next Saturday!

Google Maps: https://goo.gl/maps/5vwJjHmcKVAsFHPZ9

GPS: 44.928302886410776, -122.48931365743354

Bill

Now says closed till 10/31/2023
:(
Yeah, how do you like that! I didn't get a reason. Seems like an awfully long time to have that part of the forest closed. The trees must have had COVID or something. Dang it!

Resource discussions are for general chit-chat. Use the buttons near the top to ask a question or write a review for this resource.