JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I suggest Gold Bond Anti-Itch Cream, great for what hikers call baby rash, or cheek rash when cannot shower every day, a rash can develope on the down south, works wonders.

Also, disposable razors in case you have shave an area prior to bandaging or to shave away hair to secure a small bandage.

Scissors also, to cut away bandages and clip away hair.

Here are the modifications(and reasons why) I would make to your kit:

Meds: Immodium(speaks for itself). Tums(speaks for itself). Aloe(good for soothing and keeping burns moist). I noticed you have a lot of OTC pain meds, probably in a bottle. I would suggest swapping the bottle out for the foil packaging. That way you can dole out a couple pills without exposing the whole lot to oxygen and water vapor.

Implements: Gloves(the most important aspect of BSI). Face mask/n95 mask(BSI). Scalpel and extra blades(not for major surgeries of course, but great for deep splinters, etc). Safety pins(good for splinters and securing bandages). Lighter(sanitize said safety pins and other metal objects). Nail clippers with file(need I explain why?). Snakebite kit(if you live in or visit an applicable area).

Bandages: Gauze rolls(indispensable for bandaging). Surgical tape(for making/securing bandages). Mole skin(blisters suck). Super glue(emergency sutures). Tampons(get shot and you'd think that was the reason they were invented).

Other: First aid book(self explanatory although not a substitute for training). SAM splint(when a branch just isnt good enough). Hydrogen peroxide(antiseptic and mouthwash). Disposable razor(bandages adhere better when they aren't laid on a mat of hair). Candy bar(just as effective as oral glucose and if they cannot chew on their own, you shouldn't be putting anything down their throat). Space blanket(not warm enough for comfort, but warm enough for survival). Large triangle cloth(making slings).

Here is what I would NOT include in the kit: Tracheostomy tubes, chest decompression needles, tourniquets, IV setups. If you don't have the proper training and experience, you are more likely to make a bad situation worse if you use these.

Also take some first aid classes, as they will give you confidence in your ability to use everything. I say some because it is a good idea to periodically re-take courses to maintain your knowledge.

A quick note on the benefits I oral glucose. Keep in mind that if the pt is unable to protect their own airway the glucose can be inserted into the holiest of holies. I'd like to see you try that with a candy bar. Wait, no I wouldn't. :s0131:

A quick note on the benefits I oral glucose. Keep in mind that if the pt is unable to protect their own airway the glucose can be inserted into the holiest of holies. I'd like to see you try that with a candy bar. Wait, no I wouldn't. :s0131:

While true, that is pretty hardcore. Unless you are more than a couple hours from medical professionals, I'd imagine you'd have a hard time convincing a jury at your molestation trial. :wink:

Thank you all for the suggestions. While some are a bit different from the norm, the perspective is welcome. Even if I don't agree it is nice to see the options all in one place.

To bad that dude put me on ignore, he might have learned something from this thread....hahaha

As you all can already see- the lists of things medical can be massive. Nothing is written in stone that all of theis stuff has to fit into one kit...but don't ever forget the big picture of why you are stocking a kit in the first place.

Are you just storing this around the house and need one for simple stuff? Are you going hiking and want some supplies in case of an accident? Are you preparing for a SHTF event? Are you storing this in a vehicle?

Until you answer this, you will get the phone book with supplies and recommendations. For example- I recommended antibiotics, earlier. But if you just need a kit for the car or to hike with, this would just be a waste of space. SHTF or home kits would probably need them (again, I'm bias for SHTF stuff and scenarios).

So, what do you want the kit for?

I suggest Gold Bond Anti-Itch Cream, great for what hikers call baby rash, or cheek rash when cannot shower every day, a rash can develope on the down south, works wonders.

Also, disposable razors in case you have shave an area prior to bandaging or to shave away hair to secure a small bandage.

Scissors also, to cut away bandages and clip away hair.

I got the powder. I don't like the cream. 12 years as an Infantryman made me all to familiar with Gold Bond...ahahaha,

Razors are a great addition, I have them in my survival kit, might toss a couple into the med bag.

On top of the already good suggestions I would suggest and second the following items.

1- I would like to see more butterfly bandages. I use these fairly frequently fixing "magnum eyebrows" at the range. While patching them up it makes a good lead in for selling muzzle brakes.

2- Tylenol if it hasn't been mentioned.

3- The most common thing I use out of my own first aid kit. Band Aids! All shapes and sizes including the finger tip ones.

4- Another vote for the glucose tubes. I am diabetic and these have saved the day a couple times when I ended up staying out later than I had food for. The jell kind actually taste good. Like raspberry filling or some sort.

5- A couple bottles of sterile water

6-Saline for irrigation.

7- An Epi Kit for allergic reactions. (bees) Also helps with food allergic reactions.

8- Liquid Benadryl. Liquid takes effect faster than tablets. Can also be applied topically to help with poison plant reactions and general allergic reactions.

9-Calamine lotion for poison plant itching relief.

10-Desenex Antifungal Foot Cream. It's not just for feet. Read up on this stuff. It cures things that nothing else will touch.

If you are going wilderness or where there is no 911 I would also include

10-Emergency Surgical & Suture Kit.

11-Dental Kit

12- A 14 day reserve supply of your family's prescriptions and if in a hunting party be sure they have an extra supply in case you can't get back for awhile.

None of this stuff will do you any good if you don't have it with you, it is not ruined from getting wet or you don't know how to use it. I would suggest taking some advance first aid at your community college or at least become well read on it.

I am a Boy Scout leader and a Boy Scout from way back and still live the Scout motto. “Be Prepared” I would guess I use my first aid kit about 3 times a year.

Not a first aid item but another I keep in my vehicle is bug spray. Certain times a year and shooting tiny groups or holding still is easier if your not being siphoned of your bodily juices.

I disagree with Riot regarding his statement that you don't need bandaids and antibiotic ointment. Yes, you do. I see plenty of staph infections because seemingly minor wounds weren't approriately taken care of from the get go. Also, burns can be a HUGE problem. They are easily infected. Cool them, clean them, and diligently care for them. Also, a plain old friction blister can be made a lot more tolerable with a bit of triple antibiotic and a decent bandaid.

Did you know that the first "Band-Aids" were nothing more than tape with tissue paper? A man by the name of Earle Dickson would make pre-made strips of these strips of tape and tissue paper for his wife when he would leave. Liquid stiches is nothing more than super glue. And why fill your bags full of tourniquets when a simple T-shirt or bandanna will suffice? I agree that cleaining a wound and keeping foreign debris from an open wound is key to care. But simply having a brand-name item doesn't make it more effective. People don't need diapers made by pampers, ointments or fancy field dressings and band aids. Simple tape and tissue paper works for cuts. You can make reusable diapers and you can deal with a little blister. First aid should be on life preservation (first and foremost) before comfort and pain management.

Training. Training. Training. Get some. Too many people think they know what to do but don't and it's because they have no idea that they don't know what they don't know.

I couldn't agree with this more. But don't just learn it, PRACTICE IT. Re-read it later on and quiz yourself. Can you name off the three types of bleeding off the top of your head? How about how to treat for shock? Priorities of first aid? ect.

Did you know that the first "Band-Aids" were nothing more than tape with tissue paper? A man by the name of Earle Dickson would make pre-made strips of these strips of tape and tissue paper for his wife when he would leave. Liquid stiches is nothing more than super glue. And why fill your bags full of tourniquets when a simple T-shirt or bandanna will suffice? I agree that cleaining a wound and keeping foreign debris from an open wound is key to care. But simply having a brand-name item doesn't make it more effective. People don't need diapers made by pampers, ointments or fancy field dressings and band aids. Simple tape and tissue paper works for cuts. You can make reusable diapers and you can deal with a little blister. First aid should be on life preservation (first and foremost) before comfort and pain management.

If you want to do the tissue and tape bandaid then I am not going to argue with you but seriously Riot yes a pre-made bandaid is lots better than a fly by night field expedient homemade bandaid. By the way, paper towels, napkins, and toilet paper are not real great blood stoppers. They tend to absorb where as guaze and telfa type pads induce clotting better. I agree that you don't need a brand name bandaid but I use lots and lots of Cosmopore item. Google them. They come in all shapes and sizes and are excellent.

As you all can already see- the lists of things medical can be massive. Nothing is written in stone that all of theis stuff has to fit into one kit...but don't ever forget the big picture of why you are stocking a kit in the first place.

Are you just storing this around the house and need one for simple stuff? Are you going hiking and want some supplies in case of an accident? Are you preparing for a SHTF event? Are you storing this in a vehicle?

Until you answer this, you will get the phone book with supplies and recommendations. For example- I recommended antibiotics, earlier. But if you just need a kit for the car or to hike with, this would just be a waste of space. SHTF or home kits would probably need them (again, I'm bias for SHTF stuff and scenarios).

Excellent point I have a couple family members who are Diabetics, and had to help pour honey down my nieces throat twice after catching her in mid collapse, because she did not pay attention to her sugar level and collapsed as a result.

Lessons learned everyone in the family has a bottle of honey in their fridge 24/7 and we picked up some extra packets of honey at KFC and keep them in glove boxes and all outing with the Diabetics. You never ever know.

Riot, sorry I missed this comment.

I have my Hiking/BOB FAK pretty well fixed up. But having suggestions for that is just as welcome as anything else.

I am also looking at making up my SHTF kit for a BIL. So having the extra suggestions, such as your antibiotics, is awesome. This thread is turning out to be a good one. Keep it up!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top